Airboating Do & Don'ts..a handbook

Tips, training, and safety.
cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Airboating Do & Don'ts..a handbook

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Well hell just a bump back into the present .. seems a lot of newbies since the last re-run .. LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

anvil
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby anvil » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 pm

cflacowboy001 wrote:This could be a help for all deep woods runners one goes with the other and the anchor is a given !

and someone said
I know this is serious but couldnt resist :lol: :mrgreen:

that is just for aircraft power boats dont need that pvc with a good car motor and a shot of nos
The company of men who seek the truth is much prefered to those who think they have it

Ride boat 14 ft Don Davis Davis sled iron sbc

FanTastic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby FanTastic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 pm

OK, I'll do my part to keep this thread going. I don't think I saw anything about bringing your ear protection but being that this thread is a mile long, I might have missed it. Also, being a newbie... for whatever reason this topic was hard to find when I did my searches looking for newbie tips. Some additional search words like "new airboater tips", "beginners guide", "airboating for dumba$$es", etc.

Maybe Scotty's articles Marsh Rider should be combined into one "handbook" for newbies and made easy to find on this forum. You can mull that over in the board room. I'm sure you gray hairs will figure something out to help the wet behind the ear types.
Paul B. - Boaters Exchange
"Will Boat for Food"

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm

I may have missed it mentioned by someone else, but I would add, "put the plugs in" to the "launching do's." Launching without the plug(s) in the hull can make for some good entertainment for bystanders...

FanTastic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby FanTastic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:33 pm

Plugs were on the list. But I like to keep a spare set in my truck at all times just in case the primary plugs go missing.
Paul B. - Boaters Exchange
"Will Boat for Food"

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 pm

I do the same. Having lost a plug while on the water, we now keep extra's in the boat.

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby cflacowboy001 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 pm

how did you loose a plug on the water ?

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Couldn't tell you. Everything was going well, then while we were putting some guys in the water while duck hunting we noticed the boat filling up with water. My guess is something caught the plug while we were running over it and pulled the plug out. We had been out for 3-4 hours before it came out though.

Sh!t happens in boats....

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby cflacowboy001 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:59 pm

You do put the plugs inside the boat , right ?

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:07 am

Usually not. When you're going out in the boat mutiple times a day during hunting season, it's easier to just throw them in on the outside rather than crawl under the cage, inside the gunnel to put them on in the insided. Aside from that one day, in 20 years we've never had a plug come out.

However, should one decide to come out again, we're prepared...

Richard Perdue
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Richard Perdue » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Learn to control Your boat in skiny water when there is nothing around you or you will hit it. I leared the HARD WAY.
RIDE HARD DIE FAST BUT ALWAYS PACK'N 44MAG

cuncrt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cuncrt » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:04 pm

I just bought my first boat about 1 week ago. this thread is priceless! thanx for all the input, and please keep it coming.
13' Lazer hull, 383 stroker, whirlwind on stinger gear-box

Nozzle Head

Postby Nozzle Head » Sun May 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Hey Ruagatr,

A very good thread and idea.

I have a problem cranking up my truck if i don't do the following in order every time i stop with my boat hooked up.
If i have pulled the key out of the ignition of my truck for any reason, then the following is checked before it goes back in (ALWAYS AND EVERY TIME).

Front to Back when i get out, back to front when i get in
H-W-C-G-P-F-S-P-L

Hazzards (this will show others your not in normal operation)
Winch (check it)
Chain (check it)
Gear (secure it)
Perko (check it)
Fuel (check it)
Straps (secure them)
Plugs (secure them)
Lights (check them) if your hazzards are lit on the trailer them most often your turn and brake lights work

I really dont know how or why with the economy the way it is, but it seems that sign and drive has hit the airboat industry. I fully believe in Stan Floyds policy of training every new boat owner with its operation and hope it spreads to every manufacture. I know James Combee used to do the same thing.
I'm not quite ready to support a boating license but from what i see recently with some of the accidents, i am getting close. Last year we had a weeki wachee river trash cleanup and i observed an airboat operater running into and sinking two girls in a rental canoe. Now this river is miles long and it is no wake (idle) the entire way. The operator yelled to the girls to get out of his way. The girls had never been in a canoe before and had trouble balancing and steering. The Airboat operator seemed to me, had even less experience than the girls. He did nothing to avoid this mishap. Now no one was hurt and no real damage happened but if you take a 16' 40k airboat and idle straight into a canoe thats sideways with two girls in it, something bad is going to happen.
I'm just saying for all the new or less experienced boat owners out their that,,, your rights stop when ours start. We have the right to not get hit by your boat, your gear, your air blast.
This is the only industry i know of that anyone with enough money can buy and operate and take on passengers to a machine that can travel in exccessive speeds across land or water with a license that only applies to traveling on roads in a whole differnt kind of machine.
I read a previous post that someone is willing to use their personal time and effort to make this industry safer with a printed version of this thread and maybe get it to the builders.
I'll be happy to put a challenge out their and stop flapping my keyboard to everyone that wants to keep this industry and our own lives safe.
Can you start a new thread for cash donations to this cause and list everyone that helps support it.
I'll send that person a twenty dollar bill with my thanks for caring about my life and everyone elses!!!
Since their seems to be so much debate and rivalry on (air motors and auto motors) you have my support from a auto owner.
Any challengers Air Guys??????????
:florida: :old_glory:

RufflingFeathers
Southern Airboat Member

Postby RufflingFeathers » Sun May 01, 2011 1:35 pm

i have a question about the dont forget to unstrap ur boat.....when u warm ur boat on the trailor before you launch ur suppose to undo your trailor straps first?
Ruffling Feather's one bird at a time....

Ruffling Feather's Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
rufflingfeathers@yahoo.com
https://www.facebook.com/RufflingFeathersGuideService
936-671-3477
16ft Alumitech sb350

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Sun May 01, 2011 10:14 pm

whatever you want .. a warm up is not a wide open hold it till it jumps off the trailer kinda deal LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby skinny99 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:41 am

Bump to the top. Should be a Sticky!
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

Crown Royal
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Crown Royal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Bump ^^^^
http://www.altmansac.com/

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."HOLY ****, WHAT A RIDE

Proud member of OUTLAWAIRBOATCLUB.COM

SOUTHERN OUTLAW

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby KC5AKB » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:28 am

Very Good Topic
BRAB45 RRAB 17

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Southern Style » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:05 am

Good bump Crown Royal, I started to see some threads popping up about new drivers !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:40 am

Most of this if not all of it was Published in Marsh Rider Magazine a year or so ago. Since we have a lot of new airboaters, what do y'all think about getting them to either re run the articles or put them all together and in one single months publication? Safety doesn't get outdated.

Might be a good time to subscribe :)

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Southern Style » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 am

Smokin' idea Whitebear.... Have a "Safety Issue" of Marsh Rider magazine... That one would be kept around every house, every bar, every airboat swap meet, every airboat show.................
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

jaymac
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jaymac » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 am

I am posting this because I didn't see it in the thread (probably there) and it is one that just happened at the monkey box again! When running in the tall grass use extreme caution when entering intersections. Seems a bass boat and blow boat had a chance meeting here a couple weeks ago. several people hurt and boat pretty much destroyed. Slow down and have a plan.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:07 am

OK, I just PMd Marsh Rider about the articles, I'll bring up the idea of a safety issue. May try to get some interviews with our S.O. and FWC officers too. Maybe we can get frolks from TX and the other states to interview their respective agencies for safety inputs in their areas. It could be a big month but one to have and to hold. I'm even thinking a SUPPLEMENTAL issue now. It just gets bigger......
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

airboater62
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby airboater62 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:40 am

How bout getting everything ready(plugs in, flag on, battery switch on, coolers loaded and stuff like that) before you back down the ramp and hold up loading and unlaoding while you do it when things are busy. jmo! probally already been mentioned just thought with a good chance it may be busy this weekend at kiss. might not hurt to mention.
13-7 Gilileo O540 72" WaterWalker

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:26 am

:thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

Return to “Airboat Safety”