Operating a vessel in a reckless manner?...Really?

Tips, training, and safety.

Is dry loading, given proper conditions, "reckless" ?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 am

1. Yes
4%
2. No
96%

Total votes: 172

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Operating a vessel in a reckless manner?...Really?

Postby plumcrazy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:08 pm

discretion is the better part of valor, we have some designated dry load ramps and parks here in fl and some private ramps that dont mine.... but public ramps are a no no just cause you can dont make it right. in alabama you had to just blow the poor old boys mine lmao

IGETBENT
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby IGETBENT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:45 pm

As to the noise issue, I'm turning 5 whisper-tips; you barely hear the prop. When I got the ticket, I walked back down the ramp, held up the ticket, and asked everyone collectively if they thought my actions were reckless. Not one person thought so, and several of them had their cars in the parking lot.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:49 pm

reckless [reklis]
adj having or showing no regard for danger or consequences; heedless; rash a reckless driver a reckless attempt

Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj. 1. reckless - marked by defiant disregard for danger or consequences; "foolhardy enough to try to seize the gun from the hijacker"; "became the fiercest and most reckless of partisans"-Macaulay; "a reckless driver"; "a rash attempt to climb Mount Everest" foolhardy, rash, heady bold - fearless and daring; "bold settlers on some foreign shore"; "a bold speech"; "a bold adventure"
2. reckless - characterized by careless unconcern; "the heedless generosity and the spasmodic extravagance of persons used to large fortunes"- Edith Wharton; "reckless squandering of public funds"
heedless careless - marked by lack of attention or consideration or forethought or thoroughness; not careful; "careless about her clothes"; "forgotten by some careless person"; "a careless housekeeper"; "careless proofreading"; "it was a careless mistake"; "hurt by a careless remark"

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/reckless
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:56 pm

I received pamphlet several years ago from the F.W.C.It read do not power load.The pamphlet was mailed to me with those airboater decal's."protect airboating heritage"Etc.....
I use the winch to pull my boat up.
Last edited by BANANA BOAT on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Many airboat trailers have no winch. Many, not all. A winch is nothing more than a back up method of positioning and making small last minute adjustments.

I guess times are changing again. The new comers rule over the traditionalists. It never fails. It may be true but it is a sad commentary. We see the EXACT same thing with illegal immigration and the lack of willingness to assimilate into pre-existing culture, and we rail at it, yet we bow to it here.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

IGETBENT
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby IGETBENT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:11 pm

BINGO, Whitebear, my new friend. Couldn't have put it better.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 pm

"I guess times are changing again. The new comers rule over the traditionalists"
A new comer.really.back years ago there was nobody around when you loaded.Today the ramp's have people and boat's,fisherman everywhere.How many of you scream when someone blow's your rudder's ?

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Ill be the first to go up to someone who blows my rudders, motorcycle/me walking in a parking lot or camp site. BUT I will go up face to face and settle it in manly fashion which generally leaves us both in a happy mood, and I certainly don't expect a law to be written for me or an existing one to be twisted to meet the circumstances. I am not a victim looking for a place to happen.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 pm

When I do power load,I idle up to the trailer.goose It a little.That's it.To many people think they have to push the boat,trailer and truck up the ramp. You what im say'in?

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm not arguing against loading an airboat like a kicker boat, there are in fact times when it is appropriate, I'm only saying it is not the correct or proper or traditional way to load an airboat. And it certainly is NOT reckless operation to power/dry load an airboat.

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby JB550 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Truth is it really just depends on where you are loading. You would never even think about driving up the boat ramp at camp mack and power loading it in the parking lot, but you would be the laughing stock at thomas landing if you used the ramp to load or unload your airboat. Personally I prefer to load dry whenever possible, but i would never think about it if a boat ramp at a public facility was provided. jmo

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby skinny99 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 pm

JB540 wrote:Truth is it really just depends on where you are loading. You would never even think about driving up the boat ramp at camp mack and power loading it in the parking lot, but you would be the laughing stock at thomas landing if you used the ramp to load or unload your airboat. Personally I prefer to load dry whenever possible, but i would never think about it if a boat ramp at a public facility was provided. jmo

Exactly!
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:34 pm

What Im trying to say is the F.W.C. sent out info-"DO NOT POWER LOAD"It is Illegal.And we all know Law enforcement would never lie to us.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:39 pm

WOW, that is interesting. Never seen any such pamphlet. Is there any chance you can scan it and we will make it a part of this thread? If it has become illegal then so be it. The fight then is not with the LEO its on up the chain.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:01 pm

It was about 4 years ago.like I said it came with the sticker's.they went out to all airprop vessel's.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:05 pm

To be illegal it has to be either coded or in the FWC Rules. A pamphlet doesn't make it law. I will try to dig into this and maybe bring something to the front that has current info in it. This thread hahah is actually about Alabama I think not FL, but lots of FL folks are interested.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 pm

I searched on the net power loading.found some bass boat forum's.After reading they seem to be concerned that the prop's wash the earth out from under the ramp surface.I know a airprop would'nt do that.But the poster's where talking about what to do at a no power loading ramp.

River-Runner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby River-Runner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Airboating regulations.
Answer ID 2004 | Published 12/27/2005 02:11 PM | Updated 06/11/2012 04:24 PM
What are the airboat regulations in Florida?

There are some specific requirements for airboats in Chapter 327.391, Florida Statutes. The requirements are as follows:

The exhaust of every engine used on any airboat operated in Florida must use an automotive-style factory muffler, underwater exhaust, or other manufactured device capable of adequately muffling the sound of the engine exhaust. The use of cutouts or flex pipe as the sole source of muffling is prohibited.
Airboats must be equipped with a mast or flagpole displaying a flag that is at least 10 feet above the lowest part of the boat. The flag must be square or rectangular, at least 10 inches by 12 inches in size, international orange in color, and displayed so it is visible from any direction.

Additional muffling requirements for all internal combustion engines can be found in Chapter 327.65, Florida Statutes. There are also local regulations that apply to airboating in specific counties, state parks, national forests, or other areas.

The State of Florida Airboater's Code of Ethics (below) was developed as a guideline for courteous and safe airboat operation:

Respect the right of everyone to enjoy Florida's waterways.
Learn and observe all State of Florida boating regulations, navigation rules, and vessel safety equipment requirements.
Recognize that the noise generated from an airboat propeller and engine exhaust system may annoy others.
Equip the airboat with a muffling device and operate it in a manner that will reduce engine exhaust sound levels.
Operate at a slow speed on or near boat ramps and move away an adequate distance before powering up; where possible, no power loading.
Use slow speed to reduce noise near residential and public use areas.
Be extra cautious to reduce sound levels during nighttime hours.
Understand that the public will judge all airboaters by the actions of one.
Protect natural resources and do not needlessly disturb wildlife.

Florida's boating regulations apply, regardless of the type of vessel used. Please take a moment to visit the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's Boating website at:

River-Runner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby River-Runner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:46 pm

It doesnt look like a Law to me just a Airboater's Code of Ethics but common sense tells you if its a concrete boat ramp with a concrete/pavement parking lot whether there is vehicles there or not DONT DRIVE UP on the trailer into the parking lot its not for boats just parking..

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Where possible :dontknow:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 am

Oh well.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 am

JB540 wrote:Truth is it really just depends on where you are loading. You would never even think about driving up the boat ramp at camp mack and power loading it in the parking lot, but you would be the laughing stock at thomas landing if you used the ramp to load or unload your airboat. Personally I prefer to load dry whenever possible, but i would never think about it if a boat ramp at a public facility was provided. jmo

You never rode with Plum Crazy :D :D :D :D I may have seen him powerload right up the ramp at Mack and onto his trailer one night but he did miss the guy and his 3 dogs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

IGETBENT
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby IGETBENT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:56 am

I really appreciate all of the input, folks. I've learned so much from reading through these forums. I can't tell you how many times I've stopped in the middle of building my boat to come in and read up on "how it's done". I took a ride on a friend's boat several years back, and two weeks later I had my first airboat. Since then, it's in my blood. Rode a lot; learned a lot more. If I can ever do anything for y'all up here in Alabama, just let me know.

Headstrong
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Headstrong » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:18 pm

The Florida statute for reckless driving defines reckless as "wanton or willfull disregard for the safety of property or persons". So, more than likely the statute he hit you with has very similar language in it, if not identical. In court, the burden of proof is on the State (Him), so he will have to get up there and explain what persons or property you were disregarding the safety of. If there were no persons or property there, then he has no case. And if there were persons or property, he still has to explain how you disegarded their safety.

When you pull up to our airboat landings, there are signs that say "designated for airboat use only" or something like that. I'm sure they are there to let people know that there might be airboats blowing around somewhere beyond the sign. That type of thing would also help your argument.

It would be one thing if you blasted by some pedestrians and they went and complained to him, but based on your explanation, it sounds like he was just being a prick. Request a hearing and make him explain why you dry loading your boat was reckless at that specific place and time.

IGETBENT
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby IGETBENT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Section 33-5-70

Reckless operation of vehicle; careless operation; violation of rules and regulations of Marine Police; penalties.

(a) It is unlawful to operate a vessel in a reckless manner upon the waters of this state. A person is guilty of the reckless operation of a vessel who operates any vessel, or manipulates any water skis, aquaplane, or other marine transportation device, upon the waters of this state in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property at a speed, or in a manner to endanger, or likely to endanger, life, limb, or damage the property of, or injure any person. Any person who violates this subsection is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor, punishable upon conviction as provided in Sections 13A-5-7 and 13A-5-12. Any person so convicted shall be fined not less than one hundred fifty dollars ($150).

Return to “Airboat Safety”