SUNK.

Tips, training, and safety.
goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: SUNK.

Post by goldhunter_2 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:35 pm

the biggest anchor you can get an carry in or use a pole sunk in the ground at a angle or a tree stump if close enough , be carefully if you use straps or ropes make sure to stand clear when winching in case they break and whip back you don't want to get hit essiapply out there alone , be safe

approved absent is a good thing if you didn't have it we would not need to call NM park rangers after 4 days someone already be looking for ya...lol

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Chaseh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Chaseh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm in costa rica at the moment, but am due back stateside Thursday. I could possibly make the trip as I'm off until Monday. My bank account is dwindling fast, but I can touch base with when I get back and maybe give it go. I can't run dry, if that matters... Keep us posted abs I'll keep checking in

Christie
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Christie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Unfg11B,

Have you thought about a kayak if no one comes through with an airboat? See if MWR has one of those. It will haul a lot of gear, won't wear you out in the muck and runs skinny water.

Take your I-phone with you and send some pics. Maybe you'll get some advice that you won't think of on the spot? I'd also take a light hand pump, lotsa ropes and some innertubes to help lift the boat off the bottom since you'll be traveling light.

Too darned bad we don't have a line on a flipping Chinook and 25K sling.

I will pass the word to some friends to see if you can get some help. Friend's son in-law works BP out there and he likes a challenge.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Man........with all the smack I hear out of all the Texans on here, I figured they would have been circling the wagons around your boat by now........ :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.......we have all done it a time or 2....... :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:
No Crap!? :scratch: All hear are crickets out of the TX boys...
I know it doesn't help but I hate to hear about this but I have been in a very similar situation but I had help. It's a shame you are having to go at this alone.

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Junker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Skinnypockets.......if anyone steps up to mobilize to his aid I'm in for $50 myself.
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Lightheaded Hatlights is in for $50.

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:43 pm

PeaRiverOpossum wrote:
Man........with all the smack I hear out of all the Texans on here, I figured they would have been circling the wagons around your boat by now........ :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.......we have all done it a time or 2....... :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:
I know it doesn't help but I hate to hear about this but I have been in a very similar situation but I had help. It's a shame you are having to go at this alone.
Look at it on a map...Elephant Butte Lake is in the western half of New Mexico. 800 miles from East Texas.

SA can put in a few hundred dollars if ya'll get something started.

Rick

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by mcm4 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 pm

It is 750 miles from Houston, Texas to El Paso, Texas. That is like someone in Memphis, Tenn needing help and criticizing the airboat guys in Florida for not running over to help.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:48 pm

rick wrote:
PeaRiverOpossum wrote:

Look at it on a map...Elephant Butte Lake is in the western half of New Mexico. 800 miles from East Texas.

SA can put in a few hundred dollars if ya'll get something started.

Rick
I just looked at Google Earth. A LONG damn way no doubt! Seems like there would be someone out that way that could help before Wed. There ain't much around there for sure.

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by mcm4 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:54 pm

I'll kick in $200 as well, my guess is $3000 will get someone to get it out pretty quick, that is why I pay 180 per year with BoatsUS for unlimited towing... it is pretty remote in lots of texas places with no buddies around to help out even if they wanted to...

Chaseh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Chaseh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:58 pm

There is a dude from Louisiana that lives in Big Lake Tx. I never met the dude, but he has a bad ass boat in his back yard, and there's no water. Maybe we can find a way to reach him if I can't make it

Stewie
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Stewie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Man that stinks sorry to hear sunk and had to leave her there!!I'm in for $50.00 if y'all get it pulled together!! Wish I was closer i could be more help!! :old_glory: :rebel: :florida:

8cyl-sled
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 8cyl-sled » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Put me down for $50 if y'all get something going. I wish I could go but bad timing for me right now. Also start a thread on how and where to donate if this does go through.
Billy

swampbuggyguy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by swampbuggyguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:51 pm

http://www.airboatwest.com/

Would these folks have any connections for help? Count me in for some $$ as well

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:35 pm

swampbuggyguy wrote:http://www.airboatwest.com/

Would these folks have any connections for help? Count me in for some $$ as well
These are the people somebody needs to call. Allmost picked up the phone myself but better if coming from somebody involved. These guys have to be the closest to them, and the best equipped in New Mexico for this kind of operation. Hope to hear some good news soon. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:50 pm

it's killing me reading this. i am flat busted and can't leave work for at least a solid week. i'm gonna post this thread on www.mudmotortalk.com and see if one of those guys is close enough to help out.

put me down for $50 bucks if you need it. i been sunk before and it ain't no fun.

rjfjr
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by rjfjr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:16 pm

im in 50

swampsquatch09
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by swampsquatch09 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Il go $50 in thats a long ways hope you get her out!
14ft Maxcraft, 70" WW Signature Series 320 lycoming
:texas:

8cyl-sled
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 8cyl-sled » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:20 pm

Can this be moved to airboat talk where more people might see it? Just an idea, maybe it's better here idk.
Billy

ranger1424
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by ranger1424 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Put me down for $50.00 in the kitty, if you google earth it he is right @ 800 miles from Dallas, an Pensacola Fl. is 698 miles from Dallas, have been where he is stuck, it is muck, only thing out there is drug smugglers, and illegals crossing past checkpoints. It is the azz end of the world, best to get local help and we help him with the $$$$ JMO

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:32 pm

akblackdawg wrote:
swampbuggyguy wrote:http://www.airboatwest.com/

These are the people somebody needs to call. Allmost picked up the phone myself but better if coming from somebody involved. These guys have to be the closest to them, and the best equipped in New Mexico for this kind of operation. Hope to hear some good news soon. Bud
I just tried calling that number and got a recording for a rafting company. I left a message to call me back hoping he will know some one in the Elephant Butte area that can help. Their company is located 250 miles upriver at Embudo, N. M.

Special thanks to all who have offered to make contributions to help. If we can work it out, we can then decide how to get the funds to where it is needed.

Please understand, no one expects anybody to drive 800 miles and pay for all the costs out of their own pocket. I'm hoping we can find someone in the general area that is willing to lend a hand and the rest of us help pay the cost through donations.

Thanks, Rich :rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

swampbuggyguy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by swampbuggyguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Being sunk and leaving your boat behind is bad enough. Having to hike 5mi carrying anchor, come along, and equip is just a slap in the face.

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:55 pm

If some of you guys in Texas can go get him out, I'm sure you can have the money we make up no matter how much it is.Pulling a boat out there 1000 miles will cost $400 in gas alone and I have already counted close to a thousand and with a commitment from someone to go I'm sure we can raise another thousand.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:18 pm

WOW, Southern Airboat members are the best of the best. I just posted my idea to help this afternoon and as I count it we already have $1100 in offers to help.

The area where his boat sank is in a really bad place so it could cost twice that amount or more to get someone in there to retrieve it, (especially if they have to come from Texas), so keep the support coming.

The next step will be to find someone willing and able to get it done, hopefully someone in the area to keep the cost down, and get a quote on cost.

Then we need to find someone trustworthy to collect and disperse the funds. I'm thinking maybe Rick or Whitebear if either would be willing. If they decline, I can think of several others I would trust. If there's any funds left over we can vote on what to do with it later.

Keep it coming, Thanks Rich :rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:20 pm

I've got a buddy in Albuquerque. I'm going to send him a link to this thread and see if he wants to help out or if he can offer advice. He is big into the rafting that area and may have some helpful advice.
My biggest question: Does anyone have a way to communicate with this guy?

Return to “Airboat Safety”