SUNK.

Tips, training, and safety.
:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: SUNK.

Post by :) »

Well is it on the trailer yet?
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

UPDATE

Unbelievable how fast things can change out there. Yesterday the conditions were good for recovery. They went out today and was met with overcast skies, 60 degree air temerture, 50 degree water and 45 MPH winds. Somebody must have peed in mother natures cereal. :dontknow:

Anyway, the good news is, although they did not get the boat on the trailer they were able to make some real progress.

The way Steve described it the boat was slap full of sand and silt, there is still a strong current and the water is cold as hell. There was three of them working on it, Steve, Curtis and a local Mexican fellow that came along to lend a hand. They managed to get the boat moved closer to a sandbar where the water was not so deep, spent hours shoveling mud out of the hull and got it raised up on one side.

By that time they were all exhausted, wet, cold and looking at a cold assed airboat ride back to the landing so Steve called it off until tomorrow. Steve said both them boys followed his directions and worked their butts off and I know he was right in there with them.

The wind for tomorrow is supposed to be back down to 5 MPH and hopefully sunny.

Steve called me from his hotel room to give me the update to pass on to S A. We didn't talk long so he could get a hot shower and a well deserved refreshment.

They will head out again in the morning to finish the job. Will update again when I hear more, Rich :rebel: :texas: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

Skinny,
I image Steve is already is aware of this but just in case ........... Billy mentioned earlier he turned the boat down stream (ass backwards) Steve would need to turn it back up stream into the current for two reasons 1) the hull pointed down stream is going to keep catching all the sand the water carry's just like the ripples in a slucie box (if you look back when Kerry was there Curtis posted the boat was clean inside before being turned down stream) 2) the water hydraulics will make it many many many times more difficult to lift or pull with the river current but faced into the current will help lift the sunken hull faster when he pulls.
If Curtis can borrow a small trash/mud water pump they can use that to blast the sand out of the hull much quicker and easier it should get them out of the cold water quicker

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger »

This thread will not be complete until the Benny Hill music starts auto playing when it is opened up.

jscott
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jscott »

I feel bad for everyone involved, but can you imagine a thread like this over every sunk airboat? I've sunk one....hasn't everybody???

davemotes
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by davemotes »

I never sunk one. 8) Came close a few times, but that 0540 is a bad mamajamma. :cheers:

victorg
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by victorg »

First, prayers are being sent of the safety of all involved in the recovery. Secondly, I like most have been following this from the start, have said very little, but I can't help myself, but to comment on some of the facts.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly! One makes false claims about their experience, false claims about their equipment, expects to recover money to fix equipment to do the job, gets a late start every day they attempt to do what the job at hand was, lays up in a hotel drinking a little drink, and taking a little toke, fails to keep in contact with the person that hired them, ignores the fact they were fired and keeps working, fails to get the job done and waste valuable time with changing weather conditions, and then expects to get paid, Sounds like a welfare case to me. Wait a minute, even they have to pass a drug test to get paid.

Agreement or no agreement, I doubt anyone agreed to pay for a boat to be repaired, pay for food eaten once the munchies kidded in, pay for fuel on "late starts" when very little progress was going to be made by leaving late, or pay for time spent working after one was fired. Again a welfare case!

As far as a next time I hope for a for a customers sake there is no next time.

God speed the recovery team.

Cooter69
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cooter69 »

Steve and Curtis,

Brothers I'm sorry that more help didn't show up.

Ptillman and I had our ducks in a row and should of just kept to our plan of driving out to make sure this didn't happen.

Steve keep em safe brother, no doubt you have it covered.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Again kickin my self in the A$$ for not coming on !!!!

:proud: :rebel:
Crazy Cooter
USMC

14 " Seminole SS rigging with 0540 Angle valve 6 blade warp drive.

girlangler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by girlangler »

I am the reporter for the local newspaper and was with the guys today trying to get the boat out. Have to say this a a great group of people.

girlangler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by girlangler »

They need manpower tomorrow. We had an awesome worker today, but he can't be there tomorrow. If I didn't have to take an elderly neighbor lady somewhere tomorrow I would be there again, if I wouldn't be in the way. Only I would be working instead of on the bank taking photos. That was my mission today. I've called around tonight trying to find some muscle to get out there and help, but no luck. I can say Steve, Curtis and Mike were absolutely incredible today. A storm blew in and we had some light rain, cloud cover (which made these guy's efforts even harder and colder) and hard driving winds. I have lots of photos. I will say I am SO impressed with this airboat community, and especially Steve, who took his time and labor to be here for this young couple.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

girlangler wrote:They need manpower tomorrow. We had an awesome worker today, but he can't be there tomorrow. If I didn't have to take an elderly neighbor lady somewhere tomorrow I would be there again, if I wouldn't be in the way. Only I would be working instead of on the bank taking photos. That was my mission today. I've called around tonight trying to find some muscle to get out there and help, but no luck. I can say Steve, Curtis and Mike were absolutely incredible today. A storm blew in and we had some light rain, cloud cover (which made these guy's efforts even harder and colder) and hard driving winds. I have lots of photos. I will say I am SO impressed with this airboat community, and especially Steve, who took his time and labor to be here for this young couple.
girlangle,

Welcome aboard! Just want to say thank you for jumping in and helping with everything you've done. This airboat family always look out for each other and like any family there's usually some bickering and pecking going on but we don't leave anyone behind! It was a big relief for me when I heard you and your neighbors were helping the boys out. The name fits, you are an angle!

Have a good evening and order up some nice weather so they can get that boat on the trailer tomorrow. Thanks again, Rich :rebel: :texas: :florida: :old_glory:

By the way, it would be great if you could post a couple of those pictures.

girlangler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by girlangler »

/Users/ettapettijohn/Desktop/IMG_5088.JPG/Users/ettapettijohn/Desktop/IMG_5058.JPG

girlangler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by girlangler »

Apparently, it didn't work. Gotta figure out how to post a photo. I tried. Off to bed now.

floridabou3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by floridabou3 »

I. Heading out to the hunting camp for the weekend hope to see some good pics of it on the trailer when I get home sunday .goodluck today.
13.6 big o 220 2 blade Q series 15 over dome pistons with dual mags and plugs

bbboswell
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bbboswell »

girlangler wrote:Apparently, it didn't work. Gotta figure out how to post a photo. I tried. Off to bed now.
I looks like you tried to cut and paste the pic?

Look below the response window and find the section to "upload attachment", use the Browse button to locate the pic you want to load, dbl click and then "hit add the file". Another hint, the pic will have to be re-sized or compressed before it will upload.

I really look forward to seeing your photo's of the rescue in progress!

Thanks for helping our guys!

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by dblj006 »

That thing is full of mud. Has to be heavy.
Broke.

alligatorplace
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by alligatorplace »

I have been seeing this thread on Tapatalk on the phone but didn't ever read into it. Yesterday afternoon trying to kill the last 15 minutes of my day as always I hit SA. I started on page 1 of the post - 42 minutes later I was finished. It sucks for all involved for sure. Someone made a comment many posts back about the stress related to the situation and I am sure that has had an influence on everyone's choices throughout the whole mess. This is an incredible forum and airboaters and we are a unique bunch. Thanks for everyone that got involved to help vs. skipping over the thread like I did.

Gonna send some Site Support money for SA and some PayPal money to the sunk boat this weekend. Best 42 minutes of entertainment I have had in a long time.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

I can't figure out the thinking involved with putting the air filled flotation bags on top of the sunk boat.......how do you get flotation from the top.......maybe you tried lifting the hull up under the airbags to move it, but i would guess the boat is sitting on the bottom in that pic, otherwise you would be able to pull the line and move the boat. Makes no sense, however, they did pick a nice calm blue sky day to play with it. Too bad they all wern't that way. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Junker »

akblackdawg wrote:I can't figure out the thinking involved with putting the air filled flotation bags on top of the sunk boat.......how do you get flotation from the top......

Those were my thoughts as well.... :scratch: .......I would think the air bags would be secured sub surface then inflated.

Who are we to question the swift water recovery expert ?

Maybe he was counting on the water to rise with the next rain storm.
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Sorry about the missing threads, but we really need to get back on track here minus the Airboat West rescue attempt. Hope I'm wrong, but I got a feeling that saga isn't over yet.

Rick

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

rick wrote:Sorry about the missing threads, but we really need to get back on track here minus the Airboat West rescue attempt. Hope I'm wrong, but I got a feeling that saga isn't over yet.

Rick

Gee WHiz I was just quoting ole billy bob and it was going to be a good one :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: go back to lunch and let us play :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Stewie
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Stewie »

No problem Rick your right!! I hope all goes well for Curtis and his boat is on the trailer today!!

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

rick wrote:Sorry about the missing threads, but we really need to get back on track here minus the Airboat West rescue attempt. Hope I'm wrong, but I got a feeling that saga isn't over yet.

Rick
That's O K, we already knew it was gonna be short lived, just killing some time while waiting for some good news.

The serious side of me really wants to see Curtis's boat on the trailer and the other side is gonna miss the entertainment part. :happy1: Maybe we can continue next season. :stirpot: :stirpot: :toothy7: :toothy7:

I'm really just kidding, I don't think I could handle much more and I'm not even out there!

I didn't hear from Steve this morning so let's all keep our fingers crossed for some good news this evening.

:rebel: :texas: :florida: :alabama: :old_glory:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Somebody speculated The Bear was away. He was. I had already moderated this thread once and mentioned it was best to move on. It seems that was ignored. Well, I'm back and I'm watching. Tried to Moderate the least I could before. Didn't work. Wont make that mistake again. Rick should not have to deal with this junk at all. Vacations and bans seem to work better than asking. Any more personal insults, threats and Fbombs and somebody, maybe everybody will have a bad day. If it happens again, please do not respond to it.

For those new to SA. Here are the rules you agreed to in order to have an account here. This might be a good time to review and understand them. If you have legit questions about the rules, please ask, any Moderator in PM before you post, or just ask for help in this thread and someone will PM a reply to you.
http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... =3&t=12349
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

UPDATE

I talked to the Park Superintendent and she did not know if they had any more help!

Steve told her they hope to get it out today but it might go into tomorrow and Mother Nature decided to reward their hard work with some nice weather that I know they appreciate.

More when I know more. Rich :rebel: :texas: :florida: :old_glory:
Last edited by skinnypockets on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Airboat Safety”