SUNK.

Tips, training, and safety.
davemotes
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: SUNK.

Postby davemotes » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 pm

I haven't posted anything yet because I didn't want to get in the way. :salute: But I do have to say this has been like a soap opera, I can't put down my phone, I'm always checking on up dates. :bounce: I just can't wait to see that boat on the trailer. 8) Good luck tomorrow. When that boat gets on the trailer we all need to organize a toast for all that were involved with helping this hero out :occasion5: and a big f***you for the one that try to screw him. :evil: I don't have a lot but im sending money. :thumbleft: Steve, you better take it, if not for your self, do it for us so we know we had a hand in helping in some way. :salute:

rjfjr
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby rjfjr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:07 pm

x2 cooter and all my sa family thank you for this Rich :salute: :proud:

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:01 pm

davemotes wrote:I haven't posted anything yet because I didn't want to get in the way. :salute: But I do have to say this has been like a soap opera, I can't put down my phone, I'm always checking on up dates. :bounce: I just can't wait to see that boat on the trailer. 8) Good luck tomorrow. When that boat gets on the trailer we all need to organize a toast for all that were involved with helping this hero out :occasion5: and a big f***you for the one that try to screw him. :evil: I don't have a lot but im sending money. :thumbleft: Steve, you better take it, if not for your self, do it for us so we know we had a hand in helping in some way. :salute:

Dave, Ain't nobody getting in the way here, everybody's welcome to this party even if it's online. (well, there is one that got in the way but he don't count).

I don't know how soon we'll be able to see the picture uploaded but I have confidence Steve will get it done tomorrow.

Thank you for the donation, the amount is not important, what is important is that people show their support for our men in uniform and the SA family has certainly done that.

We don't want anyone taking anything away from their family, especially those trying to raise kids, so everybody keep this in mind when considering a donation.

Thanks, Rich :rebel: :texas: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Cowboy Rock » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Ok,,, I reckon I am a DA,,, I clicked on the link for the Paypal of Curtis, and a Email form shows up,,, How do I send Curtis some money using Paypal,,, thanks
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Cowboy Rock » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Give'em Hell, Coot,,,

Us Ga boys are with ya'll in spirit,,,

I am trying to send a few bucks, ask Steve to accept it from us Ga boys,,,

Ya'll be safe,,, Good Luck,,,

:drunken: :rebel: :old_glory:

Cowboy
Wet Dreams Too,,,

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

hostile
Southern Airboat Member

Postby hostile » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Too bad some things haven't gone so well in the personnel department! Good luck getting the boat out and everybody watch how you post. I'm sure it's been said before! You don't want to get the lawyer types involved if you know what I mean! :florida: :rebel:

Cooter69
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Cooter69 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Cowboy Rock,

Your not a DA, I had the same issue.

Here is the way it works.

I was going to PM you but figured it would be best to post on here so everyone can see. You just log on to paypal and click on the send money tab. It then ask for the email address to the person you want to send money to (It has to be the email acc associated to his paypal acc) or their phone number if he has that on his acc. Then just put in the amount you want to send and click continue and your all done. Very easy way to do it and very safe. If this is going to happen I will definitley send a few bucks his way to help out. He has struggled and been through so much of this I can't imagine what he is going through.

I have sunk a boat like most have but had help to get it out right away. I have pulled my share off the bottom as well and will do it again for anyone in need. I wish he was in florida cause we would have had him out with a lot of help.

Cooter

:proud: :rebel:
Crazy Cooter
USMC

14 " Seminole SS rigging with 0540 Angle valve 6 blade warp drive.

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Cowboy Rock » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks Coot,,, I sent the money,,, Ya'll be safe,,,
Wet Dreams Too,,,

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:25 am

I'm sitting here biting my lip, but I have to say something in regards to Billy. I expect I will get blasted for it, but so what. Been blasted before.

I don't know a lot of the facts, but I am one who thought Billy should have been called from the beginning and if necessary wait for him to have the time to come take care of the recovery. I don't know who actually asked him to come, if he talked with Curtis before leaving his town, or if Skinny talked with him again or whatever I am sure somebody set the wheels in motion for Billy to attempt the recovery. If he was asked specifically to come and do or try to do the recovery, he needs to be paid something for the trip to Elephant Butte and what time he put into it until Curtis fired him. Whom ever hired him is primarly responsible for seeing that he gets paid also. If no figures were discussed prior to his coming, this may not be more then a few hundred bucks for gas since he was not successful in his attempt. If he had been able to recover the boat, he would have had the legal right to put a lein on the boat and hold it until he was paid for the recovery. He does have a lawful case against Curtis to recover what ever is owed to him. Like I said, it may be very little, but, I guess he does have a lot of equipment from Curtis, may be a wash there, who knows. He may be a sorry SOB, or whatever, but if he was hired and drove 250 miles for the job, the courts will surely be on his side. I know there is a lot more involved, and that will, I'm sure, all be considered, if it hits the courts, just need Curtis to be prepared if somebody knocks on his door next week serving court papers. It could happen.

Personally, I am very hopeful that with the lower water levels and current, and what seems like a good boat to do the recovery with, that Steve and Curtis will be able to accomplish their goal tomorrow without a great deal of difficulity or unplanned problems. Bud
Last edited by akblackdawg on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

bigriverbilly
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bigriverbilly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:28 am

Well Hello everyone I just got back to civilization and this is the first chance I have had to take a look at all the happenings? I t appears that I have a lot of explaining to do? I've only seen the last few pages I am too busy right now to read all the rhetoric. but I think I got the gist of things? So I guess this is my side of the story so here goes... it all started a few weeks ago when I got email and phone call about an airboat stuck in the river?
My yard was also a flood zone/mudpit and all my vehicles were stuck in the mud. also airboat drive unit was in pieces. we had a lot of gear to pack. it took me several days to accomplish this. but we worked all day. everyday. to get outa there and on the road as soon as we could. Right away, we had trailer trouble . this forced us to pull over for the night just south of ABQ. next day early we had the trailer fixed and was back on road in record time. So I called Curtis with good news! and if we can get there early enough? I said, we can still put in? so He decided to meet us there. We had been driving and a hurring up to get there. we hadn't finished some things. It took a little time to get boat ready for what I thought was a mile and a half? I noticed This irritated Curtis? turns out it was 5 to 7 miles away and close to two hours one way for my boat. narrow channels and good amount of currant. we took Curtis up with us to his boat. There it was sitting half submerged in 3 feet of water. we pulled and tugged, till I was low on gas. the sun was getting low and we have a long way back. I didn't think we were going to make it on the fuel we had? but it made it! and it was dark and cold. Curtis' whole body was shaking, I told him to take off his wet clothes and pull out something warm from my dry bag. we made good decisions that day and nobody got hurt, we just ran out of sun light. The next day Curtis could not go because of work. so we went any way. The water was lower this day. Making it harder for me to get up in there. running over gravel and sand bars is not what my boat is for? it is for deep water and waves. We took a lot of equipment with us extra floatation and come alongs and rope. These things made us heavy
My boat is a little under powered it has only a carbureted 350. It would not pull that 500 cubic inch Cadillac motor out of the mud. so we were reliant on the come alongs. And the flotation that we tied to the sunk boat.
We tried to float it, and at the same time we pulled with my boat. the draft blasting us as we wiggled the sunk boat on to a little higher ground and got it facing the right way downstream . however we had got a late start and we were now running out a day light and gas once again. so we went home so tired we couldn't even talk. all of us in bed and asleep before 11 pm. next day same thing with a little more success. we had got the boat almost out a the water, where we could bail it out? we took a picture and sent it to Curtis to show him our progress? Thought he would be excited? we were almost there? we had worked really hard and we were happy that we were getting close! But, what happened next was a total surprise. Curtis was very unhappy? he told me that if I didn't get it out within the hour? to pack my shit and get it off of his boat? and that he already had another crew headed down there and that they did not want me here any more? I said, I did not understand? he said that I was supposed to check in with his wife the day before and she got upset when she did not here from us till late. he said that we showed up to work late. and that we were supposed to be done already! that it was a 10 minute job! and that we were somehow being dishonest? and then he hung up the phone? I did not know what to think We were almost done? so I said, he is not thinking right he just worked 24 hours and he was pretty tired? and maybe the fact that he is under a lot of pressure? being from as wet climate and all? the desert can be a challenging place and the people are all different? and his boat is sunk and they are a young couple that boat has to be a sizable investment? so I say to the guys all we can do is pretend the conversation with Curtis never happened. and that we will continue on. and get the boat out. but again it was getting late and cold. " In the desert the sun go down/it get cold right now! no moisture in air to hold the heat" so we kept working . But in the backs of our minds Curtis. words were echoing what did he mean? why was he so mad? and he was furious to. he later called the DNR and told them we were smoking marijuana and drinking beer. "The park service guy said that unlike our former pres he inhaled once or twice." but that seems to be all that he thought we did. the park service guy said also that Curtis had wrote a scathing letter? about the DNR not helping? and got them the local DNR in trouble? so they did not have any sympathy for Curtis or his boat? So what is Curtis mad about? 3 hippes who came to help? the deal was to cover half, no matter what? and if we succeed we get the other half? this is the deal. I have the original email! no matter how long it takes? it does not cost any more! so we were not doing anything except what we agreed to do ? and we were going to go get it the next day. but Curtis is very mad and he says he will not do what he had agreed to do? I had spent a lot money over $24 hundred. counting the money I paid to get my boat yard unstuck and airboat back together and the trailer fixed and all the money I spent on gas and room and food everything. and as for the equipment we supposedly took ?EDITED, Profanity send me an address and I ll send the only thing we accidently wound up with? a small portable air compressor! so can any one tell me what the **** I did wrong. the next day I went to the river to get my boat and go home. I called Curtis. after the DNR said they should work it out with us? since they owe us some money, as agreed. so Curtis agreed to put the money in my bank and I agreed to go home peacefully. next time it is payment in full and and a written contract notarized. Mod Eit to conform to SA rules.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:42 am

WOW!!!!! What a coincidence, I just posted my post and opinion of the Billy situation, and there is a post from Billy himself. Now we have both sides of the story. I'd better get some popcorn, except for it being so late, most of you are in bed until morning, then the firworks will begin. Should be interesting. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:37 am

Both parties have had their say so. Time to let them sort it out, but NOT HERE ON SA. Take somewhere else in private. I edited the post above to protect the poster from themselves. Best to leave this and move on.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Raizincane
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Raizincane » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:48 am

Sounds to me he has a under powered gas hog piece of crap boat :scratch:
The difference between Champ and Chump is []_[]

If you don't have pictures,then it didn't happen

13' Performance Airboat AV 0540 3 bld 72" NGH
U
S
F
T
H

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:58 am

Today I expect to see Curtis's boat on the trailer. I choose to spend my time being productive.

I do have something to say about bigriverbilly but I'm going to reserve my comments for a later date after the job at hand is completed.

Stand by for the rest of the story! (later)

Rich :rebel: :texas: :florida: :old_glory:

SkinnerBack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SkinnerBack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:05 am

a little uncalled for Raizin.......jmo

Anarchy
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Anarchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:18 am

Three sides to every story !
The willingness to question the status quo and the willingness to find a better way . . . . that’s ANARCHY.

www.anarchyoffroad.com and www.facebook.com/anarchyoffroad " There is No Road Like No Road "

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:39 am

Whitebear wrote:Both parties have had their say so. Time to let them sort it out, but NOT HERE ON SA. Take somewhere else in private. . . . Best to leave this and move on.

There are more than a few reason that we all need to take what Whitebear says here as a literal statement of fact, not the least of which is the realistic possibility that if this whole (or any part of this) scenario ends up in court, it would likely hurt and not help our brother Curtis attain an equitable end to this unfortunate situation.

There are many other reasons as well, but I hope there is no need to expand on all that.
I agree with Skinny's take. . . that the best thing is to simply keep things as being productive.
Any Billy-sidebar debate at this point is not going to help anything or anybody (except to fuel our Alaskan commentator).

I will be the first one to entirely pass on sharing my sentiments about our resident commentator and his left handed logic.
He will believe whatever he wants to anyway, and the debate only gives him the attention that he otherwise seems to thrive on.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Cooter69
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Cooter69 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:40 am

Funny Billy's website says,

Specs
This airboat is designed to
be rescue specific.

• 20' long, 10' wide, 9' tall.

• 1,500 pounds wet.

• 425 horsepower.

• 15,000 pound total flotation.

• 2,250 pounds operating cargo
weight.

But this is not what he said !!

He said his boat is a 350 direct drive which I know for sure isn't 425 hp and could handle the weight, well that's not what his website advertises !!! The above it what I copied off his site.

And I guess Billy's wants to be paid to put his boat back together for him as well? BUllsheet !!!

So now akblackdawg, who is telling the truth. I think the cold has warp your brain !!

Maybe it will freeze your fingers as well !

We have a man on site that is going to get the job done and Curtis isn't going to be ask for squat when he leaves.

We southern boys take care of our own !

Give'em he'll Steve and Curtis. And Ms Etta !

:proud: :rebel:
Crazy Cooter
USMC

14 " Seminole SS rigging with 0540 Angle valve 6 blade warp drive.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:43 am

Deano wrote:
Whitebear wrote:Both parties have had their say so. Time to let them sort it out, but NOT HERE ON SA. Take somewhere else in private. . . . Best to leave this and move on.

There are more than a few reason that we all need to take what Whitebear says here as a literal statement of fact, not the least of which is the realistic possibility that if this whole (or any part of this) scenario ends up in court, it would likely hurt and not help our brother Curtis attain an equitable end to this unfortunate situation.

There are many other reasons as well, but I hope there is no need to expand on all that.
I agree with Skinny's take. . . that the best thing is to simply keep things as being productive.
Any Billy-sidebar debate at this point is not going to help anything or anybody (except to fuel our Alaskan commentator).

I will be the first one to entirely pass on sharing my sentiments about our resident commentator and his left handed logic.
He will believe whatever he wants to anyway, and the debate only gives him the attention that he otherwise seems to thrive on.

:thumbleft: :texas: :florida: :old_glory:

Anarchy
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Anarchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:47 am

skinnypockets wrote:
Deano wrote:

:thumbleft: :texas: :florida: :old_glory:

and this one :rebel:
got the :happy1: out and ready see her on the trailer today
The willingness to question the status quo and the willingness to find a better way . . . . that’s ANARCHY.

www.anarchyoffroad.com and www.facebook.com/anarchyoffroad " There is No Road Like No Road "

Stewie
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Stewie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:33 am

I was thinking the same thing when I read his website and then read about his boat being a dd350 and the equipment being to heavy! Sounds like FALSE ADVERTISEMENT to me!! No worries curtis brother man we all have your back !! And if big billy & his crew was smoking pot and drinking on the job i would have fired them also!!!! Hopefully we see your boat on the trailer today!!!!! :old_glory: :rebel: :florida: GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!!

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:27 am

Makes two of us theyd have been fired on the spot theres a time and place to smoke and drink and thats not when ive hired you to do a job
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Duckhunter_012003
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Duckhunter_012003 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:11 am

I kinda have to agree with akblackdawg on some of this, yes there are two sides to every story, I'd like to see the email where he agreed to paying whatever it costs to get it done how ever long it takes, sounds to me like he got help from others on the site and just wants to drop river billy and any bill associated with it, I'm from southern louisiana born and raised and work in the workboat industry and growing up in a heavy shrimping industry with my family, if you take on ice and you don't pay the full amount agreed upon, guess what the ice house files a lien against your boat and a Marshall sits on the boat tied up to the dock until the bill is paid in full, I'm sure if any of you fl boys agreed to do something and it didn't go to your liking y'all would be singing a different tune and hitting up nomad to find out what sort of legal action can be taken, I mean are y'all gonna start doing a PayPal account for every boat that sinks ?

Jeff

swampsquatch09
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby swampsquatch09 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:18 pm

davemotes wrote:I haven't posted anything yet because I didn't want to get in the way. :salute: But I do have to say this has been like a soap opera, I can't put down my phone, I'm always checking on up dates. :bounce: I just can't wait to see that boat on the trailer. 8) Good luck tomorrow. When that boat gets on the trailer we all need to organize a toast for all that were involved with helping this hero out :occasion5: and a big f***you for the one that try to screw him. :evil: I don't have a lot but im sending money. :thumbleft: Steve, you better take it, if not for your self, do it for us so we know we had a hand in helping in some way. :salute:

Soap Opera aint no kiddin!
14ft Maxcraft, 70" WW Signature Series 320 lycoming
:texas:

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby :) » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Well is it on the trailer yet?
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Airboat Safety”