FIRST AID

Tips, training, and safety.
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

FIRST AID

Postby Whitebear » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:57 am

http://www.medalsofamerica.com/ItemList--First-Aid--m-1529?src=BRONTO&utm_source=buyers&utm_medium=email&utm_content=firstaid&utm_campaign=firstaid062014

You don't have to be a Vet to order from these folks.

Sometimes I feel like this site feeds on Vets, and other times I think they provide a service of sorts. Having said that, the link appears to be a good thing. Maybe some of our professionals EMT, Police and Doctors & Nurses can comment on these First Aid kits. (I include Nurses here because they are the ones that keep the Doctors from killing us.....Grinn)

Sometimes I feel like we don't talk enough about First Aid and above skills here on SA. It would suit me to see more of it even true Medical Doctor type discussions pertaining to the things that can happen to boaters and treatments, remedies, reductions, repairs and cures.

The Kits above appear not to be Mil Surplus expired stuff, but who can tell. Opinions, comments.......
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: FIRST AID

Postby glades cat » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:47 am

I agree. Even though we would hope for injury-free outings, the possibility for accidents are real.
Most injuries are soft tissue and fractures in nature. Basic first aid bandaging and splinting are sufficient to take care of these. Direct pressure, elevation and good bandaging works well. Antibiotic ointments, iodine, alcohol help reduce infections. Meat tenderizer (papain) works well on insect stings (mosquito, bee, wasp, spider). Make a paste with water and leave on 15 min, rinse off. Ammonia also neutralizes the formic acid in stings...reduces the pain. The tweezers come in handy for splinters. An Epipen is a good product for anaphylaxis reactions. I like to carry my stuff in a waterproof fishing box or ammo can. The sterile items should be changed out maybe every year. Put a flashlight in the kit for nighttime incidents. Marketed kits can get quite expensive. Many times, the items get old and nasty before they are used and need to be replaced anyway. Some stuff can be substituted, such as tape, scissors, slings, calamine lotion, Bicarbonate of soda, petroleum jelly, etc. I prefer to assemble my own and buy stuff when it's on sale from Walmart, etc.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby :) » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:48 am

I have to certify every couple years in first aid for work.. It's a nice thing to have in the back of ur mind. The kits they get us at work are good size kits to keep in the work trucks and they give as many as we want. Got a kit in the work truck, both personal vehicles and 1 In The boat
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks Scotty,

I've been looking for the GP style kit for a while! Without spending a few hundred on another zee kit.

Gleedaniel13
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Gleedaniel13 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 am

I think I want to order but I do not have money for now. :( I will put it on my checklist.

mfreem
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mfreem » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Honestly most of this comes down to personal preference and how flashy you wanna look when you pull out your stat pack and GI Box.. There's been some good ideas written and I'll just add my personal, (professional) take on the matter.. But hey it's just my 2cents. I am a paramedic and my partner was a marine on rescue and needless to say we've had just about any type of trauma you can imagine. I personally carry my trauma equipment in a freezer ziplock in a backpack with other stuff. How this stuff works in real life is that anything superficial and non-life threatening can be fixed with band aids and gauze/tape, and cleaned with sterile water and alcohol. Anything that threatens life from massive hemorrhage (ex. Gunshot wound, knife wound, shrapnel - shattered prop etc can be handled with a t-shirt or towel. Even the best trauma dressings appear useless on a severe gunshot victim. The goal is more importantly stopping the bleeding instead of making it look pretty with store bought gauze. A commercial tourniquet (CAT- combat application tk) is a great addition and are pretty cheap. Pretty easily fashioned from a belt or t-shirt though. Tampons work wonders for bullet holes and so does quick clot to stop stubborn bleeding. Ask your wife and visit bass pro for those two. Snake bites.. Well your pretty much screwed lol time is tissue damage and try to get yourself help! Aspirin has many uses, benadryl is good and an epi pen isn't the worst idea however id hate to use one! Most importantly just be safe and try to avoid having to use any of the stuff! Sorry the post is poorly written but I'm using a phone.
Matt

Return to “Airboat Safety”