Southern Airboat Member

Re: Must have gear in boat

Postby ccamp » Sat May 17, 2014 4:27 am

Beer and a cell phone

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Sat May 17, 2014 9:00 am

akblackdawg wrote:Lewis chain saw winch, with chain saw. May not be so important in populated areas, but often i am only boat around and have to get myself out. Bud

We have not had that here in over 15-20 years. To me the river seams crowded now. The days before cell phones.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Airboat Must Haves

Postby digginfool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:57 pm

A couple people (ls1airboat and Gangrene) today told me we should start a thread about essential equipment to have on board when out riding. Of course, my situation this weekend was extreme and it would be nearly impossible to bring everything you might ever need but I learned a lot. Somewhere on this site, I had seen a list of recommended items but here are a few things I learned.

GPS (bring it even if you don't think you'll need it. Great tool to have to tell people where you are if you break down. Don't rely solely on your cell phone. Many cell phones require good reception to work properly as a GPS. Heck, it might even help you figure out where you are)
Flare gun and good rounds (Blackwater would have never found me had I not had a signal kit on-board. My kit has flare gun, flare shells, hand held flares and hand held smoke, along with a mirror, flag and whistle)
Machete. (Bring two if you travel with a crowd. It was the hero of the day. A hatchet wouldn't be a bad idea, either)
Come-along with plenty of cable/rope. (A come-along is useless if you can't reach a place to anchor to pull against)
An anchor. (This could be a shovel, a plough, Danforth or grapple, depending on your space and where you ride)
Shovel
A tarp (what killed us, besides the brutal conditions, was no shade. All the rest in between machete sessions doesn't help if you can't cool down)
Gatorade (water is good but as you sweat, you are losing electrolytes. Water doesn't replenish that and eventually takes you down. Best bet would be individual foil servings that you can pour into a water bottle. Takes less room)
Boots or shoes
Bug spray
sunscreen
Tool kit (can't turn bolts or McGyver anything without something to work with)
First aid kit
Garbage bags (Large size. It was hotter than Hades but could just as easy been cold, rainy and windy. Bag will help protect you from the elements. Will also help against bugs if you run out of bug spray)
If you are in large, remote areas (like 3A), a satellite phone may not be a bad investment. At least have a cell phone service that provides good coverage in the areas you ride.
A float plan. Let people know where you are going and when you plan to return.
A list of good, reliable friends with their phone numbers. That way, you have a reason to break out that satellite phone. 8)
Storable snacks, or even MREs

That may sound like a lot of stuff, most of these items are relatively small and most ride boats can find a spot. Obviously, a smaller boat will be challenged. But even places like St Johns River, Hernando County, 3A, even Gardner's, you could be stuck and people would be highly challenged to find you, with or without a cell phone. Finally, one last option: Don't ride alone. More fun that way, plus, if you break down or get stuck, another boat may be able to go seek assistance.

Feel free to add to the list.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

SWAMPCRACKER85
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Airboat Must Haves

Postby SWAMPCRACKER85 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Dont feel bad it happens to the best of us.Just found out a buddy of mine decided to go ride 2a this afternoon with just a buddy and got his boat stuck that he just got done building 13x7 full deck 400 hp 350 with gearbox 3 blade whisper tip and was trail blazing and got hung up.Was low on fuel and motor was getting hot.Thankfully had some friends who were closer go out and found him.He made it back in ok.But for him that's a lesson learned.
10'6x7 cut down Ricochet, 0-300 Clunkinental 68x34 Sensenich kevlar tip narrow

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Dive light, Bic Lighter, survival water filter (life straw) and a gun with extra ammo!

All can be carried on the operator

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Assuming you'll have cell service, some type of water proof bag for your phone. When I sank my boat last week, my Son's IPhone got wet and died permanently. Luckily, mine somehow managed to stay dry. Without the phone, it would have been a long miserable night. I was able to call FWC, give them a coordinate, and they at least got us out of there.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:23 pm

blackwaterairboats wrote: Greg what do you need at the stuff for when you have friends like me? LOL just joking. Hell I say carry a chain saw with you, That would of been a big help. I'm buying 2 more of those Machetes. I bought it at harbour fright. After yesterday that was by far the best 8 dollars I've ever spent.

So true. And I'm proud to know you are a friend I can count on, any time, any place. You proved it in spades (and sweat, blood and tears). Thank you.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby :) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:28 pm

I keep some snacks like Vienna sausages and stupid like that that will keep for a good while. I have kids and rarely go out with out a grill and some food of some kind.. Tarp is a must and I keep a few 1" spring clamps on board to clamp it off to trees or cage or whatever. A fishing pole and tackle box, never know how long u will be there! lol I have a cut off shovel, machete, hatchet, and enough tools to rebuild the boat. Got a cheap fuel pump too, of course by the time I need it it prolly won't work.. And I never leave the ramp without a fire arm of some kind.. ( think that goes without saying around here)

I think the most important thing is to tell people where u are going and how long u plan to stay give or take a hour or so. And don't veer to far from the path.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby :) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Soooo Diggin, what's the new motor gonna be?
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

SWAMPCRACKER85
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SWAMPCRACKER85 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 pm

That's funny that you knew who I was talking about Jason.I bet he learned his lesson.
10'6x7 cut down Ricochet, 0-300 Clunkinental 68x34 Sensenich kevlar tip narrow

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby dougeey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 pm

And they asked why I have a jeep jack in the box on my boat!! Glad all went well . Greg you gettin a bigger motor now?
Doug

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ls1airboat » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:50 am

every one..this is a must..look under..link a belt fan belt..you can make this belt any size you need..works on ac or cm ..its real easy to use and its worth its weight in gold when you need..i bought 12 ft of it and in 1 year i gave away all of it to people broke down in the swamp..i wouldnt run it as a permanent belt but it will damn sure get you home.

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:40 am

Fire extinguisher! When trail blazing with grass and sticks all over and a hot motor and exhaust sitting over a tank of gas it's nice to have to shut a small fire down before it turns into the whole Everglades.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

norge1956
Southern Airboat Member

Postby norge1956 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 am

VHF radio !
BERSERKIR (most fearsome and fearless of warriors)

8X16 Diamondback 454 w/Stinger and Water Walker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMJXCcfRo0U

MMSI # 338163832

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Waggs » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:06 am

DDSBC wrote:Fire extinguisher! When trail blazing with grass and sticks all over and a hot motor and exhaust sitting over a tank of gas it's nice to have to shut a small fire down before it turns into the whole Everglades.

It's the law anyway
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:15 pm

norge1956 wrote:VHF radio !

Norge, I have long been a flag bearer for having VHF radio and GPS aboard airboats. I still think its a life saver to tell people where you are in the event of accident or unplanned weather trip extensions.
:thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby SteveReid » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:22 pm

I ordered a 300' by 5' netting sometime ago in case I ever went camping to keep all the biting bugs out of my bed. Its lite and takes up very little space. About 40 bucks.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 pm

go to lowes or wherever u shop and buy a handsaw. stick it under the front deck. i try to always carry a chainsaw, but i carry 2 handsaws and unless it's a big tree the handsaw is faster.
always carry something to start a fire with.
ALWAYS CARRY A LOADED GUN.
i bought one of those rope comealongs but haven't used it yet.

being a cajun, i always carry a onion and some garlic in case i see something good to eat!!!!!!

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Junker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 pm

An understanding wife.........
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

Moparslider
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Moparslider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:16 pm

a SPOT satellite messenger or personal locator beacon from ACR wouldn't be a bad idea.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 pm

I always have a tube of 2 part plumbers epoxy putty, saved the day on oil coolers, radiators and punched holes in the hull, battery cables and tow bridle is also in my kit
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Junker wrote:An understanding wife.........

:lol: Boy you got that right!
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby :) » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:51 pm

:lol: Wife is good till it starts getting dark!!

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:24 am

A GUN!!!! What the heck good is a gun going to be if you are stuck in the middle of the swamps. Maybe you figure a man eating gator is coming after you, or a Florida Panther may attack at any moment. Chance are, a gun would be worthless in a survival situation. You can survive a long time with just water and no food. something to purify water or filter it would be much more critical to have. If a gun is necessary, make it a flair gun that would be of great value. Got nothing against guns, I have some myself. Maybe you need to have one to blow out your brains before you get ate alive by one of the varmets or skittas or ants out there. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby papajack » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:02 am

Bump this up to go with similar new thread. Maybe moderator could combine the two???

Return to “Airboat Safety”