Kayaker on Lake O gets run over by airboat TWICE!!!!!

Tips, training, and safety.
hdsadey
Southern Airboat Member

Kayaker on Lake O gets run over by airboat TWICE!!!!!

Postby hdsadey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Apparently a man was kayaking on Lake O over the weekend and got run over by the same airboat twice. The guy in the airboat was approaching the kayaker and thought it would be funny to buzz by him and whip the boat and blow him over. It so happened that he was going too fast and when tried to turn didn't have enough thrust to turn, ended up running him over. Then when he turned around to try and help the kayaker, ended up running him over again. WTF IS WRONG PEOPLE? Luckily the kayaker just eneded up with bumps and bruises, no serious injuries. I think the guy with the airboat oughta have his azz stomped firmly into the ground and his boat torn apart into unrecognizable pieces!!!!!! And we sometimes wonder why government tries to put restrictions on our fun, because of jackazzes like this.
02 Predator 12' 0320 Lycoming
92 Big O 12' 302 Ford DD
99 Donzi 16 Classic 350 Vortec

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Kayaker on Lake O gets run over by airboat TWICE!!!!!

Postby newoldglory » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:03 am

hdsadey wrote:Apparently a man was kayaking on Lake O over the weekend and got run over by the same airboat twice. The guy in the airboat was approaching the kayaker and thought it would be funny to buzz by him and whip the boat and blow him over. It so happened that he was going too fast and when tried to turn didn't have enough thrust to turn, ended up running him over. Then when he turned around to try and help the kayaker, ended up running him over again. WTF IS WRONG PEOPLE? Luckily the kayaker just eneded up with bumps and bruises, no serious injuries. I think the guy with the airboat oughta have his azz stomped firmly into the ground and his boat torn apart into unrecognizable pieces!!!!!! And we sometimes wonder why government tries to put restrictions on our fun, because of jackazzes like this.

Of course, I'm sure that alcohol was not a prime ingredient. But the jackszz should have been put out to pasture with 2 broken legs.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:44 am

This jackass could net himself a pretty fancy prison sentence with that behavior !
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:17 am

And thats why nobody likes airboaters because of stupid **** like that, new gen airboater..... Probably just got done throwing trash down somewhere
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby farmboy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:30 am

hdsadey wrote:Apparently a man was kayaking on Lake O over the weekend and got run over by the same airboat twice. The guy in the airboat was approaching the kayaker and thought it would be funny to buzz by him and whip the boat and blow him over. It so happened that he was going too fast and when tried to turn didn't have enough thrust to turn, ended up running him over. Then when he turned around to try and help the kayaker, ended up running him over again. WTF IS WRONG PEOPLE? Luckily the kayaker just eneded up with bumps and bruises, no serious injuries. I think the guy with the airboat oughta have his azz stomped firmly into the ground and his boat torn apart into unrecognizable pieces!!!!!! And we sometimes wonder why government tries to put restrictions on our fun, because of jackazzes like this.

What day was this on? And where?
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:55 am

I prefer not to judge anyone without hearing all sides of the story. Many times I have come upon kayaks, bass boats, canoes, jet skies and even waders in the trails around the lakes and the glades in tall grass and vegetation where they can't be seen until you're right upon them.
I have to wonder, was the kayaker in open water and the airboater just wanted to be a jackass, or hidden in the grass and the airboater didn't see him until the last second and try to turn to miss him? Who's version of the story said it was intentional and is there another version?

There is always three sides to every story, your's, mine and the truth. :stirpot:

It's always been my opinion that the flag law on airboats is a good thing but it should include any vessel or even any wader that enters an area of vegetation that prevents them from being clearly visible.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

Hammer00
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Hammer00 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:11 am

In no way, shape, or form am I taking sides with the airboater and I agree with all the above comments, but I got to say, what the hell is a kayaker doing on lake O? All that tall grass and as low as they are, they would have to have a 20' flag. Lake O can get windy and rough in a flash. What pisses me off is all the beautiful waterways we have here in Sarasota and they are ALL airboat prohibited. My closest place to ride is peace river, an hour away. Myakka state park is a prime example. No airboats and outboards are idle speed only. PERFECT for kayaking. Again, I agree dumdass behavior on an airboat shouldnt be tolerated, they are dangerous enough but I also agree these "always so inocent" kayakers should do a little research on where its safe for them to enjoy thier hobby as well.

Im sure some people will not understand this post and Ill catch some heat but its ok I have big shoulders. To me a kayaker on Lake O is like walking to your tree stand at a public managment hunting area and not wearing orange.
Motorheads Racing Engines
(941) 378-7033

hdsadey
Southern Airboat Member

Postby hdsadey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:52 am

I agree with the fact that I wouldn't be caught dead in a kayak, especially on Lake O, unless your up in Fisheating creek. But he was out in plain sight. The airboat driver thought it would be funny to blow his hat off. Apparently airboat driver was not very familiar with how they react in certain scenarios. So it was an accident but by no means was it on accident! The kayaker is from a prominant Okeechobee ranch family and a nephew of someone I know. It happened this past Sunday. Not clear on location, to my understanding he was pretty well buzzed up on painkillers when his aunt talked to him!
92 Big O 12' 302 Ford DD

wildman9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wildman9 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:07 am

The story I was told by a friend of the person that was hit was he was in the river by micco bluff and it was not intentional and that the airboater was the one that got him and took him to get treatment. But that is all by word of mouth as well.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:58 am

hdsadey wrote:I agree with the fact that I wouldn't be caught dead in a kayak, especially on Lake O, unless your up in Fisheating creek. But he was out in plain sight. The airboat driver thought it would be funny to blow his hat off. Apparently airboat driver was not very familiar with how they react in certain scenarios. So it was an accident but by no means was it on accident! The kayaker is from a prominant Okeechobee ranch family and a nephew of someone I know. It happened this past Sunday. Not clear on location, to my understanding he was pretty well buzzed up on painkillers when his aunt talked to him!

Okay, I got it. The story you heard came from the kayaker's aunt who got it from the kayaker who was buzzed on painkillers and knew what the airboater was thinking and it must be accurate because the kayaker was from a prominent Okeechobee ranch family and the nephew of someone you know.

Not saying your version is right or wrong, just wondering what the airboater would say, (or as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story) :rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby farmboy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:44 am

First off this happened in Lake Placid not lake O.... Second they ain't nobody gonna be whooping no ones ass... It was a accident. the guy driving the airboat is a very good friend of mine witch wasn't hauling ass or driving crazy. He's has been boating for many years and is a very safe driver. Third The passenger on the airboat was videoing the ride and has all of it on video and I've seen it with my own 2 eyes and it's nothing like what's being described.... There was 2 different kayaks he didn't hit the same one twice. You should watch the video before pointing fingers cause this could have happened to any of us. There was no way that the driver could have missed him. He was running probably 20-25 mph I don't think that's hauling ass by any means. Thank god it didn't turn out worse than it did.
Last edited by farmboy on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby farmboy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:47 am

I do believe that it should be a law for bass boats, john boats and kayaks to have flags. If he had a flag this could have been prevented.

462kwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 462kwells » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:31 am

I think everyone should be thinking of there own safety if I were kayaking or in a canoe in an airboating area I would have a flag, as an airboater we depend on sight, other types of boaters have an advantage they have sight and sound they can hear airboats approaching, if I was riding a bicycle I would not be riding on I-95 so lets not blame someone else for our own mistakes !!!
Last edited by 462kwells on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:10 pm

Rumors and 3rd hand information, don't you just love a good story. :lol: :stirpot: :rebel:

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:14 pm

Yea i heard the kayak was in and air boat trail around a bind corner and he was drinking oh and had the wife and kids on board.

If i read a news report that one thing, on here it ends up the kayak ran over the airboat.
Last edited by terrible ted on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hdsadey
Southern Airboat Member

Postby hdsadey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Well I work with the guy who lives with the aunt and they were talking to him on Sunday evening. Maybe it didn't happen the way it was told. Maybe the kid was lying to make the story more grand? I don't know, wasn't there. But I do stand by the statement if he was being a jackazz driving then he deserves a stompin! I have first hand experience dealing with what happens when you upset a group of people, the Myakka River a block from my house is absolutely no fun anymore cause azzholes weren't curtious to kayakers on a regular basis. We all enjoyed the river, but because of a few idiots that have no respect, we now have the man up our azzes if we are even on plane. Tickets written every weekend. And the IDIOTS that caused all of this don't give two shitz and have moved on to the next hot ticket, leaving a path of destruction. I guarantee you there are a 100 to 1 kayakers to airboaters in this state and it doesn't take too many incidents to get our fun taken away. Years ago we used to have a mudhole in Rotonda called Hourglass. We never bothered no one and were left alone til some morons started running over mailboxes on the way home. It didn't take long for law enforcement and the county to shut it all down. I'm tired of seeing all the things I grew up doing and loved taken away. Sorry if anybody's butt hurt over my statements but it's the way I feel. If I'm wrong about the incident, so be it, I apologize.

I'm gettin down off my soap box now, y'all have a great evening.
92 Big O 12' 302 Ford DD

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:39 pm

I hope the airboat had some slick bottom or steel flex.
It helps the kayak slide so much better underneath. :shock:
Drive safely, don't do drugs.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

gbstrike
Southern Airboat Member

Postby gbstrike » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:43 pm

I finally figured out where all the Indians on Lake O ended up. They were in the dugouts back in the 16, 17, 18, 1900's when airboats showed up and ran them all over. I guess we just assume we can have everything because our style of boating is the best.
If you're not hurtin, you're not havin fun.

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:50 pm

well the moral to this story is like farm boy said and I will agree with him 100% if we got to fly an orange flag everyone else should especially anywhere
there is tall grass and airboat trails
Sniper You can run but why die tired, If you heard my shot you were not the target
DOI Airboat Instructor

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby farmboy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:43 pm

hdsadey wrote:Well I work with the guy who lives with the aunt and they were talking to him on Sunday evening. Maybe it didn't happen the way it was told. Maybe the kid was lying to make the story more grand? I don't know, wasn't there. But I do stand by the statement if he was being a jackazz driving then he deserves a stompin! I have first hand experience dealing with what happens when you upset a group of people, the Myakka River a block from my house is absolutely no fun anymore cause azzholes weren't curtious to kayakers on a regular basis. We all enjoyed the river, but because of a few idiots that have no respect, we now have the man up our azzes if we are even on plane. Tickets written every weekend. And the IDIOTS that caused all of this don't give two shitz and have moved on to the next hot ticket, leaving a path of destruction. I guarantee you there are a 100 to 1 kayakers to airboaters in this state and it doesn't take too many incidents to get our fun taken away. Years ago we used to have a mudhole in Rotonda called Hourglass. We never bothered no one and were left alone til some morons started running over mailboxes on the way home. It didn't take long for law enforcement and the county to shut it all down. I'm tired of seeing all the things I grew up doing and loved taken away. Sorry if anybody's butt hurt over my statements but it's the way I feel. If I'm wrong about the incident, so be it, I apologize.

I'm gettin down off my soap box now, y'all have a great evening.

Trust me when I tell ya I'm not butt hurt over any thing.... I just didn't want a bunch of people pointing fingers without knowing the whole story. I will agree 100% with you if someone is driving crazy and they run over somebody and hurt them I agree they need to have there ass kicked... But that wasn't the case with this accident. And if I hadn't seen the video I never would have commented on this topic to try and clear it up.

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby farmboy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Sniper wrote:well the moral to this story is like farm boy said and I will agree with him 100% if we got to fly an orange flag everyone else should especially anywhere
there is tall grass and airboat trails

:thumbleft:

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lariat » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Where and when did this happen in Lake Placid? I live there, and haven't heard a peep of it around town.?

titan
Southern Airboat Member

Postby titan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:11 am

Farmboy see if you can post the video

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 am

man you john wayne- al capone want-a bee's!
ass whooping-break both legs-tear his air-boat into little pieces.
----------------REALLY----------------
you bad-asses think this is 1920?
lay a hand (much less hurt someone with violence) on a fellow human and its jail time.
wake-up its 2014.
I guess you learn this when you get older.
that kayak has as much right on that water way as air-boater's.
you just jealous because we have got to use flags and they don't?
AND WE ARE ONLY HEARING ONE SIDE SO-FAR.
my experience with kayakers in juniper run is if I see a kayak I pull over and shut down.
I have been thanked more than once.
an air-boater, who is on this form, I have seen him swamp kayaks before. and laugh his ass off when they turn over..
just think if they had a 2 year old on that thing and got swamped and the kid drowns. it would be real funny then right?
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Hammer00
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Hammer00 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:51 am

:shock: :scratch: :roll: :slap: :violent1: :lol:
Motorheads Racing Engines
(941) 378-7033

Return to “Airboat Safety”