prop strike

Airboat propeller discussion.
slidingforhogs
Southern Airboat Member

prop strike

Postby slidingforhogs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:28 am

Had a prop strike , aircleaner came off workboat damaged the prop, it's a razor x whirlwind. Who in fl if possible can make repairs..? Thanks.
11'7 gore ,
220 gpu swinging a woody...

Stomp on it!!!!

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: prop strike

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:46 am

I doubt anyone will want to touch it except WW. Good Luck :thumbleft: :rebel:

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GCRedfisher » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:17 am

Hate to hear of unfortunate circumstance. Every time a see a post like this it makes me go over our boats with a fine tooth comb! Nyloc nuts on most everything or aircraft safety cables for big remove able parts. A little prep work can really save a future headache or costly repair.
I would think if the props are repairable, WhirlWind can fix you up.
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

slidingforhogs
Southern Airboat Member

Postby slidingforhogs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:51 am

yea my co worker took it without doing a safety check on it, he really dosent operate it , i mostly do. but it was a good learning tool for him, thank god noone was hurt when it happened.
11'7 gore ,

Stomp on it!!!!

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swamper2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:11 pm

I had a aircleaner come off in 99 and it took off 1/3 of a banks maxwell prop.

twisted the engine stand beyond repair and bent the crank on my 406 and took out half the cage and rudders.
I dont run aircleaners anymore just a safety cabled flame arrestor
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:18 pm

some weed eater string and some decoy crimps is what i use to teather my oil filler cap, air cleaner, and a couple other things to the cage/block incase they come loose.

cheap and easy.

slidingforhogs
Southern Airboat Member

Postby slidingforhogs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:22 pm

well, i accept resposibility for not going through a thourough safety check with him on it :banghead:. got in touch with whilwind in california, gonna be a 200.00 repair bill, and about a week n half down time. :violent1: and a half rearend chewing from the boss...lol :slap:
11'7 gore ,

Stomp on it!!!!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:55 pm

I'd send all blades back to Whirlwind. After they inspect it and repair it they'll want to compare them for weight so that you'll still be in balance. If they recommend replacing it, do it. JMO
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:02 pm

a couple years ago i had a bad prop strike, cage was pushed into prop, etc. i had insurance at the time, and they covered new cage and i sent 2 super S blades to Sensenich and all was fine. About 6 months later my rotator gear box blew up, collar on the lower shaft had split and the old gearbox was toast. i went back to insurance company and they covered it as undiscovered damage from the prop strike, which i am sure is what damaged the collar. all was well, just describing this in case you have a reduction box, you might want to take it off and check in carefully in case it was damaged also, and to let people know that insurance is worth every penny it costs you. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

slidingforhogs
Southern Airboat Member

Postby slidingforhogs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:08 pm

Yea I spoke w Shelly at whirlwind and I'm sending all blades in.. even if it didn't need any repairs to other blades just better to let the pros make sure just for peace of mind and safety.. it's a belt reduction setup and going to have it looked at aswell...
11'7 gore ,

Stomp on it!!!!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:18 pm

slidingforhogs wrote:Yea I spoke w Shelly at whirlwind and I'm sending all blades in.. even if it didn't need any repairs to other blades just better to let the pros make sure just for peace of mind and safety.. it's a belt reduction setup and going to have it looked at as well...

Peace of mind is worth a fortune to me. Glad to see you're gettin her back in order.
When you say belt reduction ..... is it one of the Century belt reductions?

slidingforhogs
Southern Airboat Member

Postby slidingforhogs » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:53 am

Yea one of century setups
11'7 gore ,

Stomp on it!!!!

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:47 pm

swamper2 wrote:I had a aircleaner come off in 99 and it took off 1/3 of a banks maxwell prop.

twisted the engine stand beyond repair and bent the crank on my 406 and took out half the cage and rudders.

that must have been one hell of a aircleaner to do that much damage
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:45 am

What's the latest? Did Whirlwind get you fixed up?

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:59 am

Safety wire is your best friend when air propellers are involved.... once you buy the twisting pliers and some stainless wire, the amount of cash and work saved from not having to repair stuff is unbelievable.... or not.... you will never know :lol: . Old fencing wire laying on places I have used for runways is always a problem in a gyro, On an airboat, having a good cage and anything that can come loose and go into the prop safety wired should avoid getting damage... it is like real cheap insurance :wink:

The prop makes a terrible noise too when it gets a few chunks out of it :cry:
Attachments
twist pliersa2.jpg
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

slidingforhogs
Southern Airboat Member

Postby slidingforhogs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:36 am

Yep, got the blades back a week later, turn around was quicker than expected. However one blade had to be replaced.. and others refinished.. total was about 500 bks..
11'7 gore ,

Stomp on it!!!!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:05 am

slidingforhogs wrote:Yep, got the blades back a week later, turn around was quicker than expected. However one blade had to be replaced.. and others refinished.. total was about 500 bks..

Cool. They're a classy company so I figured they'd probably treated you well. That's a fair price too in my opinion. The peace of mind is worth that!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:16 am

CactusJack wrote:The prop makes a terrible noise too when it gets a few chunks out of it :cry:

Not like the noise that you'll hear when a blade separates and the vibration rips up the engine stand and sends the whole mess through the cage!!!!
If a UH-1 helicopter loses a rotor blade in flight the aircraft instantly becomes 186 tons out of balance, and it disintegrates. The centrifugal forces on rotor blades and props are horrific, and nothing to be played with.

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swamper2 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:52 pm

akblackdawg wrote:
swamper2 wrote:I had a aircleaner come off in 99 and it took off 1/3 of a banks maxwell prop.

that must have been one hell of a aircleaner to do that much damage

yup a big fancy cast aluminum edlebrock https://www.dropbox.com/s/9e12s6aog4u56 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgu73a56677nw ... 3.JPG?dl=0
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:07 pm

Sliding,

As far as a work boat, I run as fat as possible but I do have some sabers on a mini that have seen the bottom over and over. Mainly from a bad build and torque roll sideways but regardless a fat s blade can take out part of a ss cage with minimal trimming and balancing locally! Tuning a boat is a lot more than it's own best performance at wot if production is involved. None plan for prop strike but a work boat must!

NorthWestFloridaBoy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby NorthWestFloridaBoy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:35 pm

I was testing and tuning my dad 350 boat in the yard one day years ago and forgot to bolt the air cleaner back down and the prop sacked it right off and bounced it around in the cage till I could shut it down. I was running a sensenich kevlar wrapped wood stick prop and it did minimal damage. I was expecting the prop to be a lot worse off but it held up very well. I actually took the boat out and ran it after that which in hindsight I know was a dumb move on my part, but I kept the rpms down that trip and I didn't stay out very long. I sold the prop on ebay as a decorative piece and I bought a new sensenich kevlar wrapped wide blade. I would have bought anew adjustable prop but I couldn't afford it then. Needless to say after that incident everything on the boat got attached to some form of safety cable or another. Tie it up hook cable to it do whatever it takes to keep stuff out of ten prop!! Rant over

Capt steve
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Capt steve » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:57 pm

We had a recent prop strike. One of the steel brackets that you use to lift the motor came off. Took three weeks and $1000. My advice is to remove those brackets once the engine is installed on the frame.
100 ton master captain
Professional airboat operator
I made enough money to buy Miami,
But I pi$$ed it away so fast

Return to “Prop Talk”