Lycoming GPU Prop Advice

Airboat propeller discussion.
russelllaviolette
Southern Airboat Member

Lycoming GPU Prop Advice

Postby russelllaviolette » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:42 am

Good day, everyone!

I need some advice. I've got a 10' fiberglass hall being pushed by a Lycoming GPU (O-290) and seem to be rather limited on prop options. The cage dimensions limit the prop diameter to 60". Are there any composite options available? Everything I can find seems to be 66" or larger.

Thank you ahead of time!

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Lycoming GPU Prop Advice

Postby Hambone79 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:24 pm

a warp drive

russelllaviolette
Southern Airboat Member

Postby russelllaviolette » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:30 pm

Hambone79 wrote:a warp drive

Thank you, Hambone.

Any other non-wood options? I know the warp drive will be quite noisy.

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Hambone79 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:47 pm

You can try and contact some of the prop manufactures and see what they offer. Sensenich for example. I personally run a warp on my 4cly and am really happy with performance.

russelllaviolette
Southern Airboat Member

Postby russelllaviolette » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Hambone79 wrote:You can try and contact some of the prop manufactures and see what they offer. Sensenich for example. I personally run a warp on my 4cly and am really happy with performance.

Thanks for your input! Did you aquire your prop second-hand or new? The warp drive site (http://www.warpdriveprops.com) seems a little shoddy.

This disclaimer on their site was a little concerning as well:
"If you earn your living with your WARP DRIVE Airboat Propeller, as MANY do, it would be PRUDENT to have a SPARE prop and/or blades on-hand in case your prop is damaged."

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Hambone79 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Mine was a second hand prop. But I can say I have had a lot of items go through the prop. Sunglasses, Apple Snails , cooler lid , aluminum cans ........ I also have sank the boat with prop under power and never damaged the prop. One thing most agree on these props they are tough

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Andrew McD » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Warps are tough!
Don’t mind their extra prop suggestion. It’s just that.
Can pick em up used very cheap and I’ve heard of people cutting them to length themselves. ;) I can’t recommend that professionally though.
Alternatively you can get a custom shortened 2 blade. No upcharge for shortening it but it’ll add lead time. I’ve never built one that short for a 290 but wouldn’t be an issue. Give me a buzz at the shop if you want to chat more on the subject. 8636767767
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

russelllaviolette
Southern Airboat Member

Postby russelllaviolette » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Andrew McD wrote:Warps are tough!
Don’t mind their extra prop suggestion. It’s just that.
Can pick em up used very cheap and I’ve heard of people cutting them to length themselves. ;) I can’t recommend that professionally though.
Alternatively you can get a custom shortened 2 blade. No upcharge for shortening it but it’ll add lead time. I’ve never built one that short for a 290 but wouldn’t be an issue. Give me a buzz at the shop if you want to chat more on the subject. 8636767767

I appreciate the honest advice! The Water Walker pieces look like a quality product.

Return to “Prop Talk”