prop question

Airboat propeller discussion.
marine4life
Southern Airboat Member

prop question

Post by marine4life » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:28 am

I am goin to be lookin for a prop in the near future and i have a question. Im goin to be looking at a carbon prop but i am wonderin if i should stay with a 2 blade or a 3 blade? I have a 0320 lyc with a 10'6" hull. I use it for more huntin than joy ride. Any thoughts? Pros and cons for both? Thanks

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: prop question

Post by Deano » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:58 am

From a purely technical standpoint, you don't really need a 3 blade if your engine can be held back by a 2 blades running in their sweet spot.

Supposing though that you do have blades that will run in their sweet spot:

2 blade:
a) more cost effective.
b) lighter, so twists up quicker resulting in more snap.
c) likely a little more RPM with better top end and little less low end push.
d) more RPMs needed to produce x amount of thrust equals a little more noise.

3 blade:
a) less cost effective.
b) heavier, so twits up slower, resulting in less snap.
c) likely a little less RPM at top end but with a little more low end push.
d) less RPMs needed to produce x amount of thrust equals a little less noise.

I'm sure my CRS has omitted something, but others will fill in those blanks I'm sure.

Deano
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:19 am

maybe a warp drive or one of them look alikes :D 4 bld
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

marine4life
Southern Airboat Member

Post by marine4life » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks! I have a wide blade wood prop now and just want a carbon prop so i can adjust the pitch to be perfect. The warp ive heard dont push on the hill as good as a wide blade prop. I figured the 3 blade would push alil better on the hill. Im not really lookin to race but i dont want a slow boat either. Mine runs bout 55-60 now but havent really raced yet! Lol

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:40 am

wood would be the cheapest followed by a saber blades or warp drive if you have ear plugs and ear muffs, there are several composites that would work for you they cost a little more then the wood even if you buy them used but will be a better choice in the long run . A 70" cypress two blade would be ideal for you ,or a short hub with a set of Q's or signature's would do nice if its a fresh strong 0320 motor on that 10 boat , those two would be great for cruising an fuel economy , or a three blade H as short as 68" with pitch turned up and quick snap and good top end or as long as 72" if you want the extra push an good low end. There is another newer style blade I'm sure someone else will recommend but I think you would be happy with the ones I have listed here just watch the SA classifieds props pop up all the time for sale

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:45 am

marine4life wrote:Thanks! I have a wide blade wood prop now and just want a carbon prop so i can adjust the pitch to be perfect. Good Sound Plan.
The warp ive heard dont push on the hill as good as a wide blade prop. This is true.
I figured the 3 blade would push alil better on the hill. Ya figured right!
Im not really lookin to race but i dont want a slow boat either. To late for that.
Mine runs bout 55-60 now but havent really raced yet! Lol
Sounds like ya oughta be looking for 3 blade composite, the wider the blades the better. Sounds like a nice setup.

Deano
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:47 am

marine4life wrote:I am goin to be lookin for a prop in the near future and i have a question. Im goin to be looking at a carbon prop but i am wonderin if i should stay with a 2 blade or a 3 blade? I have a 0320 lyc with a 10'6" hull. I use it for more huntin than joy ride. Any thoughts? Pros and cons for both? Thanks
Just call Sensenich they will fix you up.... Just tell them what your running and what you want to do with it... (813)752-3711
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

air-roberts
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by air-roberts » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:07 pm

the prop that you need will depend on the h.p. & weight you have and what your wanting to do with your boat. but if your interested I'll be glad to help you with any way i can feel free to get a hold of me for any help and or advice that i can give and i'll be glad to assist you
Air-RobertsImage
experimenting with old step w/t experimental 384.8 c.i. nos 2.68 rotator, 80" three bld ? R
http://www.bcraceengineering.com
Thanks to dave http://waterthunder.com/
New & Used PROPs
WhirlWind prop dealer

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:31 am

I have a 10'6" with a 320 I have a Sensenich Q with short hub. I don't want anything else. It pushes good,It's quiet and sips fuel. I burn 10 to 12 gallons a night froggin 5 or 6 hours.

marine4life
Southern Airboat Member

Post by marine4life » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:31 pm

I have a chance to get a 66" 5 blade warp drive for a good deal. I have a O320 lyc. Any ideas on how it will perform? What pitch would be good? Thanks

Return to “Prop Talk”