Skinny Blades vs Fat Blades (MPG)

Airboat propeller discussion.
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Skinny Blades vs Fat Blades (MPG)

Post by Prototype »

Not sure if this is in the right place but I don't see a trailer section or traveling section to put it?

Anyone out there notice any mpg difference pulling your rig with skinny blades verses fat blades? Debating on setting my pitch to 90 degrees or so while traveling or switching to some skinny blades for better MPG.

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Skinny Blades vs Fat Blades (MPG)

Post by yobee »

Dont you have a clutch box? Let the prop spin...
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow »

yobee wrote:Dont you have a clutch box? Let the prop spin...
There is hope for the younger generation, here is a young fella with common sense. :thumbleft: :rebel:

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

LMFAO :thumbleft: :lol:
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Scarecrow wrote:
There is hope for the younger generation, here is a young fella with common sense. :thumbleft: :rebel:
LOL

Maybe Yobee is young. I'm ready to retire and live on the lake LOL.

I'm just sick of fine tuning a rig and its a pig on the interstate.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

I did screw up once and left my line lock engaged while washing the rig down. Way too much bad attention with a spinning prop on the road not to mention liability factors.

3 s blades will suck that cardboard sign right out of them homeless dudes hands.

MonsterMudfish
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MonsterMudfish »

Get a 5.9 cummins and it wont matter!
KCCO

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 »

U need a diesel
if u don't run dry .then should have gotten a bassboat
tons videos on YouTube ptr34

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

But my 6.0 is hooked up to my heavy rig full time.

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 »

U need a tune then. I can pull my boat 85 all day long. And i have a 6.0

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Me too! But my 6.0 is dedicated to my heavy rig and my 4.0 is pulling another with the 3 s blades. Its only 12.5 feet and should easily be pulled with a 4.0 gas. I'm just questioning the wide blade prop over skinny blade props for those that notice a mpg difference?

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

I have more rigs then I can keep track of sometimes, but this is specific to mpg and wide or skinny blades for MPG

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 »

Make upside y and should be the least amount of drag

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

ptr34 wrote:Make upside y and should be the least amount of drag

Thank You Sir!

I will give it a shot. The s blade boat has a dedicated route also but i ran it personally today again and it was a big o sow on the interstate? I personally checked Cliffs work and the trailer is dead on in every aspect with no damage anywhere! S blades?

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

There is nothing gonna help short of a diesel truck .. the cage and wire and seats and evrything else all cause so much drag .. the seats are spoilers and cause huge downforce on your tires .. watch them in your mirror
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

cntry141iq wrote:There is nothing gonna help short of a diesel truck .. the cage and wire and seats and evrything else all cause so much drag .. the seats are spoilers and cause huge downforce on your tires .. watch them in your mirror
Man your getting older than me? LOL Yep Pulled my front double cause i could see the stiching through the rain covers so now i see the stiching on two singles up top through them hooked to my KR 6.0

I can burn up the interstate regardless with my ford and cliffs work but I'd like not too with my toyota and some common sense to some new tech!

I hate burning or paying for wasted fuel if I know something can do better from wind drag or actually the less of!

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

helms24 wrote:I noticed a big difference when I went from the 4bld r to the sabers...still a lot of drag but not as much...1 mile difference....kept up with it because my drive was from palm bay to mile marker 52 on the alley....every other weekend....by the time I got there my prop turned 3 ft crazy....

Helms

Please input some specs when you get time. Old prop and new prop on the same rig. That's what i'm looking for!

Were your new sabers the same length or ? and how many blades to make up the difference. I really can't ask the square inch difference, but i can dam well figure that out on my own if i can get some input from anyone switching from wide (fat) blades to the new, (X) (skinny s) or whatever? I guess powershift or WW has not entered that market so I'm safe in naming them as not a competitor?

Fuel consumption while traveling is major on my end. I burn a prop a month combined with all rigs!

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

If your goal is to run the blades that get you the best MPG while towing your airboat on the trailer I'm assuming you're trying to save money. If that's the goal I'd think you would save the most fuel/money by setting the airboat up with whatever prop gives you the best mpg on the water regardless of the drag while towing the boat. If you're considering turning the blades 90 degree while towing and having to repitch before putting the boat in the water then at that point just remove the prop while towing. IMHO the skinny vs fat blade for better towing mpg seems like taking a good idea, "better towing mpg" too far.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

I got the solution for you. Remove blades and modify blade base and your hub to where the blade will swivel back and fourth (not front to back). Then, when towing, the blades will fold down behind the motor and stand, no air resistnce. Then when you are out on the boat, let er rip. Centrifical force will hold the blades straight out and they will look real pretty. You might lose a little speed, but mileage will pick up, both for the tow rig and the boat, guarenteed. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

DIXIENOURMOUS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DIXIENOURMOUS »

I dont see how you would gain any noticeable fuel mileage with wide blade or skinny blades or blades turned sideways or blades turned upside down you still got the rig and the seat and the cage that are there if you really feel you gotta do something about it go get a full fitted custom cover over the whole boat that will make it a solid object where air will go around it smoothly even then i doubt you'll notice anything significant
2013 AGI-A alumitech IO-540

I like Women like 6.0 powerstrokes.............. always blowin

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

I have a 09 chevy duramax with a few engine mods done and have done some MPG tests myself.
Running 65mph to 70mph on the open road
82"3-blade R 12mpg
80"8-blade saber 13 1/2mpg
80"staggered 9-blade saber 11 1/2mpg
83"4-blade R 11mpg
The boat i was pulling was a 13ft Triple W with 3ft full grass rake tall stainless metal work 2380lbs with a aluminum trailer.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

sseater
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sseater »

sorry but who buys an airboat and worries about the mpg their truck gets with it...? and Bud is joking right?

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Thanks Farmboy, That's some good info their! I'm surprised at the 9 blade but still some real good info.

Seater- Just some dude that has more than one to support and at 28-32 cents a mile, I'd rather put it back into my rigs then in someone's else's pocket especially if its imported fuel. Nah Bud's not joking, that transformer thing will work in about 50 years lol

Dreadneck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dreadneck »

You'll get better mileage if you don't tow the boat.

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

With the 3&4 blade R and staggered 9 pulling 60+ mph my prop would turn slowly while pulling it. If I pulled it 100miles it would make a couple revolutions by the time I stopped. The 8-blade never hardly moved at all. It's amazing just by adding 1 blade an changing configuration what a difference it is between the 8 & 9 blade Saber.

Return to “Prop Talk”