New Forward Swept WhirlWind Propeller Blade

Airboat propeller discussion.
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: New Forward Swept WhirlWind Propeller Blade

Postby Whitebear » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:00 am

Wags that could mean it will develop the same thrust at a lower RPM. This one has my eye for sure.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Waggs » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Yep, there went my revolutionary idea. I think I drew a picture of that a while back and mailed it to myself. I'm gonna need some retrobution Patty... Awww just kidding. The forward bend has crossed my mind for sometime now though, as I'm sure it has others. I can't wait to see this thing in action. Hard to believe it could do better than my whisper tip now. There's always room for improvement though.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

DannySauls
Southern Airboat Member

Postby DannySauls » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Not to boast on Jim too much but to have a research project like this is awesome. It is the only full scale forward swept propeller ever produced and to have it for an airboat is even that much cooler, I know roger has been running and will be playing with it more over the next few weeks so we should hear some performance details before too long. I should have it with us out in Nebraska at thunder for those of you who want to see it in person!

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Waggs » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:26 pm

I certainly wasn't trying to say anything negative or take away from their awesome new project. Just was saying the thought had crossed my mind. Reason being is I'm in the air conditioning business and I've seen some fans with a forward curve. Whirl Wind is an innovator and has great great minds working there. Thumbs up!!!
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

WhirlWind Propellers
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby WhirlWind Propellers » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Yes, Danny is right, this is the first full scale forward swept propeller blade put into real testing that we are aware of. Only with modern day carbon composite technology is a full scale test like this feasible. WhirlWind's FS propeller testing will focus on the affect on noise and efficiency.

To give you a little background, for decades the theoretical benefits of forward swept propeller blade designs have been discussed in the aerospace engineering community. Forward swept blade models have been analyzed both theoretically using CFD models, as well actual model blades tested in wind tunnels. The theoretical and wind tunnel results have shown potential performance improvements and noise reduction benefits for the forward swept propeller blade design.

Aerodynamic tip losses plague propeller efficiency and performance, and the forward swept blade design attempts to address those losses. There have been several attempts to address tip losses using other propeller blade design modifications, such as winglets and fences, but these types of modifications have actually resulted in more drag on the propeller blade and loss in performance.

We will keep you posted on what we find. For now, this is strictly a proof of concept propeller research project.

trailerdon
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby trailerdon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Hmmm, just enough info to make you crazy for more. good marketing? I will be watching this post, as I'm sure will others

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:53 pm

The 4 banger boat at Harney looked like it pushed real good on the ground with 2 guys. I stood next to it as it pulled off and it was fairly quite. Looks cool too!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby KC5AKB » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 pm

Will be looking for more info .
BRAB45 RRAB 17

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:08 am

Im going to go out on a limb and make a guess. This might not be the best prop for those who are hard chargers and do hard 360s and 180s and back and forth. I'm thinking since the prop already should have some ability to change pitch of the tips with speed, when you couple in a 90 degree acceleration, it may be possible for the pitch to advance past the structural capability of the material. I'm just thinking on this I have no data what so ever to confirm or deny it. Maybe I should go back to reading dime novels.......
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:29 am

Whitebear wrote:Im going to go out on a limb and make a guess. This might not be the best prop for those who are hard chargers and do hard 360s and 180s and back and forth. I'm thinking since the prop already should have some ability to change pitch of the tips with speed, when you couple in a 90 degree acceleration, it may be possible for the pitch to advance past the structural capability of the material. I'm just thinking on this I have no data what so ever to confirm or deny it. Maybe I should go back to reading dime novels.......

i have researched this concept.. and there is a advantage in efficiency but there is a disanvantage in structure , in the fortys it was abandon do to material fail... in 2002 it was tested here in fl . they used aluminum foils... the best thing I see is the wide tip :thumbleft:

swampdragon
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby swampdragon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:57 am

All I going to say so far I am more than pleased with the test results. People at Lake Harney got a sneak peak at the new prop and how well it was pushing on the hill. Sunday took it to the woods and marsh on Orange Lake to put the prop through rough terrain, everyone with me including Top Fun Ron and Danny Phillips were impressed with the push and how quiet it was following me. I will continue with testing so far no negatives only positives. Roger

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:39 am

swampdragon wrote:All I going to say so far I am more than pleased with the test results. People at Lake Harney got a sneak peak at the new prop and how well it was pushing on the hill. Sunday took it to the woods and marsh on Orange Lake to put the prop through rough terrain, everyone with me including Top Fun Ron and Danny Phillips were impressed with the push and how quiet it was following me. I will continue with testing so far no negatives only positives. Roger

Hope you realize I was not dissing the prop, just doing some mental masturbation thinking ahead. Love to hear all about good results. Maybe the material issue has been solved. Keep posting in this thread. :thumbleft:

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 am

believe me white bear the material will hold up there has been great strides in carbon composites in the last 12 years ,,, physics never change but materials do, and it allows great shapes that were not possible not that long ago.....

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:54 am

David, I agree 100% about new materials. In my field, Satellite Systems, the Dishes used to weigh near 13 Tons, now are light enough to be transported in pieces on a small trailer behind nearly any SUV. Where we had to ship stuff in 4 24' containers now we can ship 4 in one 20' container. Wind loads have gone from about 80 MPH to over 130 MPH for standing structures too. Look at what Boeing has done with aircraft weights not to mention our own Diamondback and their light weight firearms.

swampdragon
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby swampdragon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Bear never believed you meant anything by it. I to was in the commercial antenna business and fought the same battles, old company was Antennas For Communication. I think I might have given Jim a hart attack, he told me as always go easy at first on the new props I test but this time it went strait to 4000 rpm before I new it and it stayed together. I did finely settle on 2900. Plum you are right I work with carbon and other similar materials everyday and improvements are made daily.

scroggins44
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scroggins44 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Swamp dragon what kinda rpms are you turning it and how good does it cruise? How does it compare to a whisper tip?

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Patti,

It looks like I would need about 6 of them, Maybe 5? for a gear. If test prove positive are you going to reverse mold it for a gear?

swampdragon
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby swampdragon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Scroggins I am turning it 2900 at this time and it is cruising about the same as the Whisper Tip.
I want to add some more pitch and see what it does it seems to like a lot of pitch.

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby aherr520 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:54 pm

I'll take one 74'' two blade, it's gotta be better then the Q I have now
aaof member

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:19 am

Looking at this blade made me wonder about the forces acting on the forward swept portion of the blade. I noticed the chord increases dramatically at the point of the reverse sweep of the leading edge and this confirms my thoughts on that portion of the blade wanting to twist off. It would be interesting to see the image of a 3-D finite element stress analysis of the blade.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

signcoc43
Southern Airboat Member

Postby signcoc43 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:09 am

Any updates on this prop?
12 foot hamant fuel injected pe-90 520 conversion swinging a 68" ngq!!
" Yes my boat is slow!!!"

supersnake60
Southern Airboat Member

Postby supersnake60 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:16 pm

swampdragon this is supersnake60 can you help me on the EXcalibur prop can you call me at 786 514 2376

swampdragon
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby swampdragon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:20 am

Will do Supersnake60

WhirlWind Propellers
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby WhirlWind Propellers » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:41 pm

We will have the proof of concept Forward Swept propeller on display this weekend (March 21, 22) at the Broward Airboat Show in Davie, FL. Come by and check it out. I'll be there too, and will be happy to talk about it. Plus a few other new things. :thumbleft:

-Patti
:proud:

Return to “Prop Talk”