warp drive or water walker sig

Airboat propeller discussion.
BLOWME SIDEWAYS
Southern Airboat Member

warp drive or water walker sig

Post by BLOWME SIDEWAYS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:41 am

I have a waterwalker sig on my 13 ft 220 dual mag now pushes great will a 5 0r 6 blade warp push the same?? If so ill trade complete prop and hub for a complete warp prop and hub its ingreat shape

justin m
Southern Airboat Member

Re: warp drive or water walker sig

Post by justin m » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:59 am

A water walker signature series is hard to beat. They push really good if you're turning it right. I havent had a warp on a 220 but i have had one on a PE90 and it flat out sucked. It had good snap and decent speed but it just did'nt push like my 2 blade. I could run 3 people on ground with my 2 blade. Could hardly even get off the ground with the warp. If you want a prop like that, look into the saber blades
A/V 540 on a 13ft Navigator hull, swingin a 72" 2 blade WW signature series. Go boat, not a show boat.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:06 am

No, it will not.
May have more snap, possibly higher top speed, but better overall push? Not a chance.

What does your prop measure overall? How long is the hub? Maybe they are Cypress blades?

In any case, I would try that setup before I traded away what I had.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

BLOWME SIDEWAYS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BLOWME SIDEWAYS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:44 am

It is 72" hub I dunno but as it is now its set at 2500 wot it runs 3 people on dry just didn't know if a warp would also I appreciate all your guys knowledge

never enuff
Southern Airboat Member

Post by never enuff » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Set the rpm's @ 2700-2750 ish on the trailer and you will be a hole lot happier

BLOWME SIDEWAYS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BLOWME SIDEWAYS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:58 pm

Ok thank you

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:06 pm

@ 72" they are in fact Signatures in a medium hub. Just checkin'. :)

That's good advice, 2800ish is their sweet spot & you'll get a little more on the water than on the trailer.
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:41 pm

Well I can tell you from vast experience with just about every prop that is made for direct drive aircraft applications, a 70"-72" 5 blade warp drive on a 220gpu is hard to beat. I wouldn't toss the idea out the window just yet. They like to have over 8 degrees in them and I would say on a dual plugged 220 you should be able to get around 9-10 degrees out of it and keep it somewhere in the 2800 range and it will push great. Do as Deano said and try it before you sell it. I would not do a 6 blade though, remember you need pitch for it to perform and the extra blade will rob you of the ability to get pitch in it.

graywhale
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by graywhale » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:34 pm

i have been using a 6 blade warp drive on my 220 for 13 years and only issues is the noise. it will run dry and like it has been said they like 2700-2800 rpm. just it to find the sweet spot and it should push. (just my one cent worth)
what goes around, comes around

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:39 pm

i could not agree more with stroked had a 70 inch 5 blade on a stock gpu and it would rip was fast cruised good and ran the hill like a monster and i ran a 2 blade on it too and it was all around better with the warp def an eye opener lot of the problem is people run too much prop on a warp and cant get enough pitch in them and they do suck
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Dual mags want produce any more power than a single mag. Dual mags, set timing at 25 degrees BTDC. Single mag, set timing at 30 degrees BTDC. Adding a 2nd mag forces you to take out 5 degrees of timing. Has to do with Rate Of Fuel Burn. Dual plugs fire and start the fuel burn on each side of the cylinder and the burn meets in the middle of the cylinder,( only if timing on both mags is perfect, if not and one mag fires an instant before the other, the first plug burns all the way across the cylinder like a single mag.) Now you get the power of 20 degrees of timing.
Note: when you switch off one mag, you loose rpm. Due to Rate of Fuel Burn across the cylinder, you just changed your timing to 20 degrees BTDC. It takes twice as long for fuel to burn all the way across the cylinder as it does to burn half way across as with 2 plugs.

Thanks, Chuck

BLOWME SIDEWAYS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BLOWME SIDEWAYS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:24 pm

It has pop up pistons aswell its just a ride boat It does run good now just didnt know if the warp drive would run it dry as well but give me a little more top end again thanks everyone for the help

BLOWME SIDEWAYS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BLOWME SIDEWAYS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:27 pm

It has pop up pistons aswell its just a ride boat It does run good now just didnt know if the warp drive would run it dry as well but give me a little more top end again thanks everyone for the help

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:38 am

I don't have your setup, but I did have a 72" 5 blade Warp on a 540 and I liked it better than the NGH I replaced it with. I now run a staggered 6 blade Saber. This is on a heavy hunt boat too.

never enuff
Southern Airboat Member

Post by never enuff » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:35 am

No way a warpdrive is going to push as good as a water walker blade unless you dont have the power to turn the waterwalker in the first place .

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:16 am

First off, I will admit that I don't care for warp drives and I am pro Water Walker in most cases. IMO, they are to damn loud and don't work well for me given how I run my boat the bulk of the time. I acknowledge that is my opinion and everybody else is entitled to theirs. It doesn't matter to me if you switch to a warp drive, I just wouldn't want you to take (what would seem to me like) a step backwards simply from a lack of information, given that you did ask the question.

From an unbiased, analytical standpoint, the first thing that should be done is to properly pitch the prop you now have installed. At 2500 rpms, it has not approached its design parameters and shouldn't be judged, compared or assessed without first running it as it was designed to run in order to see what it is capable of. You have already said it would run dry with three people set where it is. That is great, however, the fact remains that you still have to much pitch in it for it to operate as optimally as it was designed to (which is at or around 2800).

The warp drive proponents have stated multiple times to turn them 2800 and they will rock. It was also pointed out (and then independently confirmed) that they do not work as well when they are not pitched correctly. This is the same thing that neverenuff and I, are trying to convey to you about the Signature blades. As unlikely as it may seem, this is something that the Signature blades and Warp Drive blades have in common.

You don't see or hear any pro Warp Drive guys saying to turn them 2500 and see what they will do. They know they need to be turned up to be most effective. It's exactly the same with the blades you already have on your boat.
- Carl Sagan

BLOWME SIDEWAYS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BLOWME SIDEWAYS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:00 pm

Thank you all im keeping the water walker setting it to 2800 on the trailer thank you all

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:22 pm

FYI, if you set it at 2800 rpm on the trailer, you will probably run 2900-2950 rpm WOT on the water. But it might be a good place to start. fine tune from there.

Gangreen
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gangreen » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 pm

I am turning an 8 blade warp staggered at 2250 at 14 and 16 and it works well. Depends on your setup.

Return to “Prop Talk”