Prop Vibration

Airboat propeller discussion.
Teal fun
Southern Airboat Member

Prop Vibration

Post by Teal fun » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:52 pm

I have a brand new Whirlwind 3 blade, 84", superwide. It was sent back to WW and they balanced the blades. This prop pushes like a bulldozer but it still vibrates. Not a lot, but enough to drive my crazy. Is this normal, am I always going to have some vibration? Thanks, Ken

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Prop Vibration

Post by Afflicted » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:55 pm

U know for a fact that all 3 blades are pitched the same? Like exactly the same or damn close?

It's not the prop IMO

Teal fun
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Teal fun » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:06 pm

blades are pitched the same, Also, my buddy has a 4 blade 80" prop that we put on my boat, Ran perfect with no vibration

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:45 pm

Sounds like the blades or a blade is not pitched the same.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:34 am

Teal fun wrote:blades are pitched the same, Also, my buddy has a 4 blade 80" prop that we put on my boat,
Ran perfect with no vibration
With that having been said, the definitive confirmation would be to put your 3 blade on his boat and see if it starts vibrating. If so, there you go. If not, it would then seem more than likely that Afflicted was right, and you should begin looking elsewhere (or you should talk your buddy into swapping props :D ).

How are you setting/confirming the pitch is the same?
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:51 am

You should also make sure that the blades are tracking exactly the same. You do this by putting a piece of angle iron attached to the transom with a vice grip. Adjust it so that it touches the outermost tip of one of the blades then turn each blade and make sure that they are at exactly the same place. Sometimes you can have your prop pitched perfectly yet one of the blades be tracking a quarter of an inch difference from the other two. This will definitely cause a vibration.

airjohn81
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airjohn81 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:09 am

i track the blades with a zip tie on the riggin set to the trailing edge of one blade ..rotate around an check others... they have to be SPOT on for 0 vibration
easy way to track em !!! learned that on here!! lol
:old_glory: :florida: :rebel:

Teal fun
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Teal fun » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks for the reply's, have tried all that. Blades track perfect. really was wondering if I'm expecting to much. I would think a brand new prop should not vibrate. Thoughts?

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:08 pm

You keep saying the blades are pitched the same......... but haven't said how your pitching them (you did say new to you) so first I'd ask if your using the blade pitch marks or digital angle finder to set then the same? Second and they shouldn't be just coming back form the manufacturer but double check for hairline cracks around the shaft of each blade. Third check to see that the whrilwind prop hub is mated firm and flush (not just tight) to your prop hub adapter I have seen where one or more of the steel dogs be to long and hold all or part of the two from mating to together perfectly flush (and causes annoying vibrations)

The earlier suggestion of putting your prop on your buddy's boat and his prop on yours for a test run would eliminate any engine issues concerns you mite have had if there is no vibration

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Teal fun
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Teal fun » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:42 pm

bought the prop brand new, vibrated like crazy no matter what we did. Sent it back, factory worked on the blades. Still vibrates but way better. i'm worried that the vibration is going to wear GB bearings. the pitch is set with a digital level. It sounds like I need to push WW to fix it

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:58 pm

yep I'd probably give them a call

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Return to “Prop Talk”