drying blades out

Airboat propeller discussion.
RJC5778
Southern Airboat Member

drying blades out

Post by RJC5778 »

need to pick the airboat communities brain about how to safely dry out sensenich blades, im not drilling holes so, what is a tried and true method do make sure these blades are dry on the inside?

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: drying blades out

Post by nebraskaairboater »

What we did was take the blades out of the hub and stand them up with the shank down out in the sun for a while and they dried out. When they are dry seal the cap with silicone to keep the water out. I'm sure there are other ways to do it and others will chime in. This was what worked for us when my dad's Q blades got water in them.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 454 Chevy/ 2.38:1 OX Drive / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

If you talk to Sensenich, they recommend drilling a hole through the metal cap inside the shank. This has to be near the center but, DO NOT DEFACE THE SERIAL NUMBER! Shake the water out, then set out in the sun. Once dry, seal around the plate with silicone. That's what they had me do with my NGRs when they got water in them. Eventually, sent them back and had the new style end plate installed.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

AirHog
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by AirHog »

2 blade propellers should be stored so they are at the 9 o'clock and the 3 o'clock position even if they are composite blades. A blade sitting at the 6 o'clock position will gain weight & water. 3 & 4 blade are harder, but avoid th 6 o'clock as much as possible
Bad decisions make good stories!
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

RJC5778
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RJC5778 »

digging,

I have ngrs that I purchased new locally, boat was flipped before with these blades and had been under water for a bit, also in a few rain storms while at our camp, I think I will pull them off and drill the hole as mentioned and seal the hub with some silicone....works for me, thanks guys

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

406 JAMIE wrote:Wow thats kinda scary there drilling a hole.wish u luck be safe.
Just a small hole in the cap they installed inside the shank. Not drilling through any carbon fiber; just the aluminum end plate which is inside the hub.

After you dry it out, you can also seal the hub itself. Make sure you seal around the end plate and the hole you drilled. Will help keep water out. I do recommend you talk to Sensenich. That way, you will get it straight from the manufacturer and if you have any questions, they will answer it. Good luck!
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Return to “Prop Talk”