Duraskin on R series delaminating?

Airboat propeller discussion.
GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Duraskin on R series delaminating?

Postby GeeLeDouche » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:03 pm

A few months ago I sent my 3 blade R series back to get Duraskinned, after literally 2 or 3 trips on these blades I noticed on 2 of the 3 blades had areas of no duraskin and it looks like it took some of the carbon fiber with it when it went. Its in the "meat" of the blade, NOT on the leading edge, about 5 inches inward from the tips on both effected blades and about the size of a nickel. I haven't hit anything and can not for the life of me figure out how this happened. Only thing I can think of is that it just delaminated or separated somehow but I don't spin my prop very fast relatively speaking,, I only spin my motor up to 4950-5000 MAX with a 2.3 CH3. so I keep the prop under 2200 rpms even at its max. Has anyone seen this type of issue after duraskinning?

Thanks

Gee
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
1648"M (& floatation pods) "Lowe" modified V Jon boat with a 31hp mudbuddy hyperdrive.

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Duraskin on R series delaminating?

Postby farmboy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:53 pm

GeeLeDouche wrote:A few months ago I sent my 3 blade R series back to get Duraskinned, after literally 2 or 3 trips on these blades I noticed on 2 of the 3 blades had areas of no duraskin and it looks like it took some of the carbon fiber with it when it went. Its in the "meat" of the blade, NOT on the leading edge, about 5 inches inward from the tips on both effected blades and about the size of a nickel. I haven't hit anything and can not for the life of me figure out how this happened. Only thing I can think of is that it just delaminated or separated somehow but I don't spin my prop very fast relatively speaking,, I only spin my motor up to 4950-5000 MAX with a 2.3 CH3. so I keep the prop under 2200 rpms even at its max. Has anyone seen this type of issue after duraskinning?

Thanks

Gee

Call Darren at Sensenich I'm sure he will make it right with you. It's probably just a defect or something... My blades are 3 1/2 years old or more and they still look brand new.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Farmboy is correct I spun my old NGR 2400 rpm on prop and they were 4 years old looked perfect when I sold the boat, call Darin
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DAGWOOD0520 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:41 pm

The only way I can help is once I have the blades in my hands.

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DAGWOOD0520 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:03 pm

The coating normally does not have that type of failure unless it is struck by something, but I'm sure we can get them fixed right back up and give it another go. I'll look forward to your call.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Gee, it looks like you have very sound and solid advice in a situation that could be much worse as far as a prop strike. Duraskin is new to me also but extremely familiar with prop strikes carbon and wood.
Count your blessings and lives because a nickel size anything can ruin your life with a prop strike!

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Postby GeeLeDouche » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 am

Thanks Darin. I'll get them off the boat and read for shipping. I sent an email through the website probably 2 or 3 weeks ago and never heard anything back. I really should know better by now and just use the dang phone.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
1648"M (& floatation pods) "Lowe" modified V Jon boat with a 31hp mudbuddy hyperdrive.

Oilfield Trash
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Oilfield Trash » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:17 am

My duraskin has wore off in several places. This is on the non push side. My buddy says I wash them too much lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oilfield Trash
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Oilfield Trash » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:18 am

uploadfromtaptalk1455898696529.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Return to “Prop Talk”