Refinish AB-300 Stump Puller Blades

Airboat propeller discussion.
coondog123
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Refinish AB-300 Stump Puller Blades

Post by coondog123 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:06 pm

I have a boat that has mostly set in the yard, less than 100 hours. Sometimes covered, sometimes in the sun. The boat and everything is like brand new but the composite material on the blades is starting to show as they are not black and shiney any longer. I was told that WW in California would refinish them for $30 a blade or something like that. Anyway that sounds great but I am pressed for time also my health isn't what it use to be and I would rather haul the boat to someone and have them do it. Will one of the Airboat Builders in FL take the blades off have it done and reinstall the blades?

My second question is just how much damage does the UV rays do to the blades and do I really need it done? I have never had anything hit the blades and they are perfect, just not a black shine to them.

Thanks in advance.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Refinish AB-300 Stump Puller Blades

Post by Lwells » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:54 pm

I was hoping you would get an answer on this for o got one that could use paint too. I've done the wood props but guess I will have to check with sensenich on this one

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:58 pm

:salute: I bought my stump puller 2 blade in 2002 and it's still pushing air :lol: of course it's not shinny black anymore also, but I don't care as long as it performs just like the day I bought them JMO for which it does!!!!!!

coondog123
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by coondog123 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:27 am

Outlaw thanks and for the small amount I use it I would have to agree with you. I just noticed the sun fading it out and was wondering about getting it coated. Probably should of asked how much does UV rays damage or weaken a prop. If not at all I am good to go for a few more years. lol

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:08 am

Wax it and run it Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhirlWind Propellers
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by WhirlWind Propellers » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi there, sorry for my delay in responding. It's busy this Spring, and we are getting ready for the Broward show in a few weeks.

Regarding your question about when it is time to refinish your blades, I can give you some general information. The time blades will go before needing to come in for a refinish service depends on several factors, including age, if the boat is kept inside or outside, and if outside, if the propeller is covered, and how much and the type of use the propeller gets.

The composite blades are made from pre-preg aerospace grade thermoset composite materials, which means the raw material has the resin pre-impregnated into the fibers. The thermoset composites are cured under a high-temperature to create a chemical change at the molecular level that is irreversible. When the blades are manufactured, high temperature cures, and pressure forces the excess resin out of the fibers. This excess resin flows along the surface of the blade and the tool to create what you see as the finish on the final blade. The base original finish is just a black resin coating.

Generally, the blades will eventually fade due to sun UV ray exposure and the coating will wear with use. The sun is one of the worst enemies for the surface finish of the blades. This is why we recommend keeping the propeller covered when not in use. We also recommend using a mild cleaner (such as Simple Green or dish washing soap - nothing harsh like a degreaser) and then follow-up with an automotive grade *clear* spray polish (such as Turtle Was Ice Polish). The polish has a UV protectant that will help give a some amount of protection from the UV rays on your blades, and they will also be easier to clean each time.

When you do start to see that your blades have faded, they are still fine to run. But once the original surface coating has worn and when you start to see the fibers exposed, I would advise sending them in for a new surface resin coating (though I've seen fiber-exposed blades run for a very long time, if you go too long they eventually become non-serviceable). The new surface resin coat will seal up your fibers and also re-black the blades, and then we do a final balance adjustment.

The cost to do a basic resin coat refinish service is $25 per blade. We also inspect your leading edges and do a tap test on them, if you end up needing a new leading edge, the cost is $125 per blade which would include a new surface coat. Our typical turn-around time is 3 to 5 business days, not including shipping time. We do offer a flat-rate UPS Ground shipping label for $35 if you need one for inbound shipping from the lower 48 states.

We also offer a high-end finish option for your blades, Armor Coat in high-gloss black, which can also be upgraded with tip striping options. The cost for Armor Coat is $150 per blade (wide blades) and $95 per blade (Excalibur and Razor X) and our typical turn-around time is about 1 week. The Armor Coat option can make any blade look better than new, and will be quite durable but will eventually chip from wear.

You can also consider having the blades painted or dipped near you, but the risk you run is upsetting the balance. If you decide to go that route and gamble, then the only downside is that if you upset the balance you would need to send the blades to us for balancing.

If you have more questions, please feel welcome to call or email anytime.

Sincerely,
Patti
:proud:

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:03 pm

I talked with sensenich representative today and he told me to scuff the blades and paint them. He said count or watch how you paint one so you can get the other painted with about the same amount of paint and they should be fine. He said if I notice a slight vibration then I might have to balance them. I have a balancer so I should be fine. Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Prop Talk”