500 Caddy Direct Drive Prop Pitch Setting

Airboat propeller discussion.
Edhtchr
Southern Airboat Member

500 Caddy Direct Drive Prop Pitch Setting

Postby Edhtchr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Anyone running a 74" WhirlWind wind prop on 500 Caddy DD? If so, what pitch are you running? The base setting still runs the RPMs too high. I have a 15' Rivermaster fiberglass hull. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Re: 500 Caddy Direct Drive Prop Pitch Setting

Postby Prototype » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:55 pm

WOW, 4 days and not one post! Yep caddies are dying fast!

Couple things I won't even go into but I'm sure you'll get the extent from future posters that don't answer your question!

It does not matter what size or how many blades your turning at this point! It does highly matter for you and all around you that your over twisting a prop from your question!
Base is what? Some recommendation that it should not turn more than that and you did? Welcome to the speed of sound!! Have fun with it?

Back to your Q-A
2950 -3000 works excellent on a fairly stock caddy as a DD. 74 inch two blade is fairly common in the old days. That said, excludes razor or other thin blade props. Hope your 74 is around 10-12 inch wide to over turn on a 15 foot hull? A 74 inch prop will mach 1 at 3500 rpm! For about a second! Maybe!

Finally to answer the question: Get your torque wrench and protractor out of the dust and twist that prop to hold it back to around 3k!
Tweaking a prop less will get you dead-tweaking a prop more will get you stuck!
Your question can't be answered until YOU put the effort in to understand your own rig. Ever see a woody bust? OMG what a mess!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Prototype . . . relax . . . enjoy the moment . . . the world isn't ending yet. :lol:
The brother just posted three hours ago. Some of us eat dinner, take a shower, etc. :dontknow:

Ed, You didn't say which specific blades you're running, but presuming they are in fact DD blades . . .
If you set your pitch such that you're turning 2800 rpm on the trailer you will get a little more on the water and that should be real close to where you want it, which will depend on how strong your engine is. You have a nice combination there, I have the same hull.

After you've done that and run it so you have a reasonable point of reference, you can adjust it a little bit either way depending on your preferences. As Prototype eluded to, you do not want to spin it over 3k rpm, but knowing what you're working with, I don't expect you should need to if your engine is healthy. :)

Caddies are dying fast ? . :shock: . :lol: . :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:04 am

Welcome, Ed. Just an FYI for DD caddy application. Many use Mr Branch's oil cocktail in their engine to help with the thrust bearing wear. I believe he adds Lucas Oil Stabilizer and ZDDP break-in lube to the conventional oil. I can't find the post where the mixture was posted.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:45 am

Oil recommendation as Glades suggested:

Amsoil Z-Rod 20w-50 oil or the "Branch Brew"

Branch Brew

4 Quarts Shell Rotella T3 15w-40
1 Quart Lucas Oil Stabilizer - conventional NOT synthetic
4 ounces CompCams 159 additive for the ZZPD

Note: Shell is in the process of reformulating the Rotella product line. Should you find yourself using the new Rotella T4 blending consider using 6 ounces of the CompCams 159 additive if your DD or running a flat tappet camshaft. I have also substituted Shell Rotella T1 30wt in place of the 15w-40 with success.

Think this week we are gonna "birth" the recycled JohnC engine 520 cubic inches of bad azz. Should be on the run stand by Friday for the break in process. No bling, just pull you out of the mud power. This will be the last engine built out of Mr Branches old "wood shed" shop....very fitting !

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:51 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote: No bling, just pull you out of the mud power
every CM guys wet dream!! :toothy7:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Edhtchr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Edhtchr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Prototype wrote:WOW, 4 days and not one post! Yep caddies are dying fast!

Couple things I won't even go into but I'm sure you'll get the extent from future posters that don't answer your question!

It does not matter what size or how many blades your turning at this point! It does highly matter for you and all around you that your over twisting a prop from your question!
Base is what? Some recommendation that it should not turn more than that and you did? Welcome to the speed of sound!! Have fun with it?

Back to your Q-A
2950 -3000 works excellent on a fairly stock caddy as a DD. 74 inch two blade is fairly common in the old days. That said, excludes razor or other thin blade props. Hope your 74 is around 10-12 inch wide to over turn on a 15 foot hull? A 74 inch prop will mach 1 at 3500 rpm! For about a second! Maybe!

Finally to answer the question: Get your torque wrench and protractor out of the dust and twist that prop to hold it back to around 3k!
Tweaking a prop less will get you dead-tweaking a prop more will get you stuck!
Your question can't be answered until YOU put the effort in to understand your own rig. Ever see a woody bust? OMG what a mess!

When I stated base setting I was referring to setting WhirlWind suggested for the whisper tip prop. It's 11" wide so fits your suggestion. With the prop it comes with marks for base settings. If you would like an example, put some effort towards a quick search of WhirlWinds web page and you will see what I am talking about.

Torque wrench is a must unless you are an idiot, which you seemed to imply you thought I was.

I do not want it going over 2950 rpm max and before I bought it i did put in an effort, as you so eloquently stated, to learn all I could from the manufacture.

I have learned to be more specific if I post another question. Thanks for the lesson.

Edhtchr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Edhtchr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:22 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Oil recommendation as Glades suggested:

Amsoil Z-Rod 20w-50 oil or the "Branch Brew"

Branch Brew

4 Quarts Shell Rotella T3 15w-40
1 Quart Lucas Oil Stabilizer - conventional NOT synthetic
4 ounces CompCams 159 additive for the ZZPD

Note: Shell is in the process of reformulating the Rotella product line. Should you find yourself using the new Rotella T4 blending consider using 6 ounces of the CompCams 159 additive if your DD or running a flat tappet camshaft. I have also substituted Shell Rotella T1 30wt in place of the 15w-40 with success.

Think this week we are gonna "birth" the recycled JohnC engine 520 cubic inches of bad azz. Should be on the run stand by Friday for the break in process. No bling, just pull you out of the mud power. This will be the last engine built out of Mr Branches old "wood shed" shop....very fitting !

Thank you for the helpful information.

Edhtchr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Edhtchr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:24 pm

glades cat wrote:Welcome, Ed. Just an FYI for DD caddy application. Many use Mr Branch's oil cocktail in their engine to help with the thrust bearing wear. I believe he adds Lucas Oil Stabilizer and ZDDP break-in lube to the conventional oil. I can't find the post where the mixture was posted.

Thanks for the info.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Hey Swamphunter. If you could video when you fire up the ol' John C and post it, it would be cool to see it. Been reading about the rebuild project for a while.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Glades will do

Mr Branch has a few assembly pics for me to update the other thread. I sort of depend on KWAN to work the IT magic and post images for me.

As soon as I get things organized I will get pics and video posted.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Deano wrote:Prototype . . . relax . . . enjoy the moment . . . the world isn't ending yet. :lol:
The brother just posted three hours ago. Some of us eat dinner, take a shower, etc. :dontknow:

Ed, You didn't say which specific blades you're running, but presuming they are in fact DD blades . . .
If you set your pitch such that you're turning 2800 rpm on the trailer you will get a little more on the water and that should be real close to where you want it, which will depend on how strong your engine is. You have a nice combination there, I have the same hull.

After you've done that and run it so you have a reasonable point of reference, you can adjust it a little bit either way depending on your preferences. As Prototype eluded to, you do not want to spin it over 3k rpm, but knowing what you're working with, I don't expect you should need to if your engine is healthy. :)

Caddies are dying fast ? . :shock: . :lol: . :lol:

Thanks Deano,
I seem to be time warping lately? Have a brand new efi system not invented yet LOL!
Ed is in good hands with your and swamps advice!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:42 am

Glad to hear it was only your 'proverbial' clutch that was
slipping . . . mine does the same thing from time to time. :D

One of these days if I get beyond being such a CSOB, I might
just get me a real clutch and some little wheels on my lifters. :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Deano wrote:Glad to hear it was only your 'proverbial' clutch that was
slipping . . . mine does the same thing from time to time. :D

One of these days if I get beyond being such a CSOB, I might
just get me a real clutch and some little wheels on my lifters. :lol:

That's funny!
May I recommend a drive for your needs LOL when it gets to that point? Comp also has some excellent little wheelie thingies too they call rollers?
Don't waste your time or money on a real clutch for rec use! The new props pitched correctly for the day can duplicate a clutch if you want it too?

Return to “Prop Talk”