Prop for O290

Airboat propeller discussion.
Batemaster
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Prop for O290

Postby Batemaster » Sat May 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Been talking with a few different people and they've been recommending I switch to a 2 blade prop. I am currently running a 60" 5 blade Warpdrive but have been told a 66" 2 blade would create more torque for my application. Any other recommendations you all can help me with in terms of 2 blade props on the market? I was looking at the 66" Whirlwind which looks like it'll bolt right up. Would ideally like to find a used model in serviceable condition. Thanks.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Prop for O290

Postby Deano » Sat May 13, 2017 10:16 pm

While some may say it is only a matter of semantics, that is not really the truth.
Your engine produces whatever torque it is able, and then the prop converts that torque into thrust.

I would agree and do prefer an efficient two blade on that engine rather than the warp drive.
Obviously, a new composite is the best choice; not surprisingly this is also the most expensive option.

My first preference would a 66" Water Walker Cypress if I could find one.
Nothing wrong with that Whirlwind either if the price is right. Most likely my second choice.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out a woody either, a new one may be cheaper than a used composite.
My healthy 290 w/ 435 AV cylinders turned a 68x34 about 2900 rpms and ran real well on an old Airgator. It was small, but not excessively lite for its size. That was the best running wood prop I've ever used. You hadn't mentioned anything about your boat or how you use it. If yours is completely stock and/or a little tired, then a 66 or 68 x32 may be a better choice.

Be aware that if it was a GPU and has the prop flange welded on the crank vs. being an aircraft crank, that is something that may be relevant as well when buying a prop. The hub/prop mounting bolts may differ in size so you will have an added dimension for the proper fit (diameter x pitch x mounting bolt diameter). Measuring one of your current hub mounting bolts will tell you what your crank flange is expecting.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Batemaster
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Batemaster » Sat May 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Boat has been getting a bunch of things worked on by Gus Guell like magnetos, carb rebuilt, new motor mounts, new starter, alternator, plugs etc. Some things I could've done but I wanted a mechanic to give it a once over and these were all things he found and explained thoroughly. He has been excellent to deal with and honest. He as well as others have recommended a 2 blade for the 11'7" Gore hull the 290 GPU sits on. He mounted a wood 66" Sensenech he had in his shop for us to run and compare so we will be taking it out sometime next week. He still recommends a composite prop over the wood so this is a loaner for us. That prop is labeled 66LML 7/16.

I will look into the Water Walker now. I think I saw it but the mount may have been different. I also saw an older Super Snapper Whirlwind that looks like it will mount right up.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun May 14, 2017 9:06 am

When you get that far you should call Andrew @ 863-676-7767
Mounting it would be no issue, only need to have the correct 7/16 hub bolts.

http://www.airboatprops.com/Cypress%20Series.htm

If you can get it up to his neighborhood, I believe you could try one out.
I would expect that if you did, you would leave it on there and take it with you. :)
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Batemaster
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Batemaster » Sun May 14, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks! I would love to spend the $1600 on a new prop but it's just not practical to me on a Lower end boat like mine. I'll have to try and find a used model.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun May 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Understood. No need to feel like the Lone Ranger in that regard.

Good luck with your hunt. You never know what the Good Lord will put on your path.
You just have to doubly sure to keeps your eyes open. Maybe that Whirlwind was meant to be yours.
- Carl Sagan

Batemaster
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Batemaster » Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Deano I happened to get lucky and found a 66" Whirlwind locally. I appreciate the help!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Cool Beans :thumbleft:

Have fun, and Be Safe !
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Prop Talk”