6 blade warp drive on a 0320 150 hp

Airboat propeller discussion.
Warden
Southern Airboat Member

6 blade warp drive on a 0320 150 hp

Postby Warden » Sat May 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Anyone have experience with a 6 blade warp on a 0320 ? I just purchased a 11' gfx with this package ,, boat has not arrived yet , the seller said " it dont whine " ! I dont believe him , but maybe someone on here has experience with this set up ? The sound and performance ?? Any info would be appreciated ! Thank you w

boatair
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Re: 6 blade warp drive on a 0320 150 hp

Postby boatair » Sun May 21, 2017 7:03 am

What size is 6 blade ? It must be short which is not to good because that is too much prop for a o320.

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Sun May 21, 2017 7:32 am

Hi , i dont know the size , the seller has serious health issues , and is not able to give me much info , from the pics i tried to gage it and my guess is 66" - 72" i could be off , im using the trailer tires as the scale ! I know if its too much , i can remove 2 blades and run it as a bowtie 4 blade , but from the videos of other warp drive pushed boats , the sound is absolutely hidious , ( but most were on v8 car motors ! Engine is also just majored and "claimed " to be 15% more hp then stock ! Thank you ,w

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 am

My live observations about the sound produced are the same as yours watching video.
I will also say that the "Memorex Commercial" effect applies... it's more pronounced in person.

In any case, be aware that the sound, pitch, and volume of the prop wash has
nothing to do with the configuration or type of engine, or the power it produces.
That is all related to, and derived from mainly the tip speed and blade shape.

When you have the time and means, you will find that from an audio standpoint, a good
2 blade composite will be far less offensive. My preference is a 66" Cypress Series, although
there are other good options, depending on your location and manufacture preference.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

boatair
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby boatair » Sun May 21, 2017 9:00 am

If the prop does what you want, a good set of ear muffs will take care of the sound if you find that objectionable.

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Sun May 21, 2017 9:28 am

Hi , i agree , however ... i live in the land of the tree hugger and snowflake ! Im in upstate NY
We still ahoot our food here ,but the cityidiots i their kyacks and canoes feel they own the place ,
My land included .... NO one has ever been in these parts with an air boat ... this is going to cause major
BS as it is ... not that i care too much , but if my boat sounded like and air plane then they dont have
A chance in hell to stop me ! ( not much chance anyways really ) but that high pitched whine
I myself would not care to listen to , tuff for me to come back at them when i hate it 2 !
I do love the sound of a small cessna tho ! Music 2 me ... this will for sure start a war here ... even my 6x6 amphib ot them to bitch ... they aint seen nothing yet ... they come from NJ and conn. Trespass and then complain ... its 2 funny ... sometimes i just pop off 1000 rounds of 223 into the creek ... that gets every police agencey here pronto .... they cant do a thing bout it ... but these people try and try ... the world i closing in on me ... ! Thanks w !

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun May 21, 2017 9:50 am

Boy, that is cross-threaded for sure. That would have me

wondering where I might acquire a trained bear or the like. :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 am

I personally have a Sensenich Q on a little more than stock 160. It is about as quiet as your going to get. Other props push better but it is quiet.

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 am

i like the more throaty noise over whine and i think i need more push to get me out of the creek and up the bank ! top speed is not real important i don't think , as long as it will plane and stay up without porpoising in deep water , my creek is for the most part deep moving water , that twists and turns a bunch for 30 miles ! no straights more then 200-300 yards ! and few and far in between ! maybe some nasty soft muck at low water conditions & when it floods it has be clocked at 14 knots heading toward a good size waterfall ! BIG ! thx W

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Mon May 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Have fun in the shallow winding creek. When it floods and starts flowing hard, PARK THAT AIRBOAT and use your kicker boat.

Even a seasoned airboater can quickly find themselves in trouble in those conditions. It is no place for any airboat, especially a novice in a little one.

When it dries up, throw some sticks and stuff in the muddy spots. Airboats slide good on wood. Muck can eat them up.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Mon May 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Now that dont sound very adventurous ! Lol prob good advice tho ... i was out in it with my 17 whaler with a 90 hp OMC .... it was definately interesting ... especialy where it necks down ...
i would not have wanted less then the 90 ! I did it in my zodiac before ... Bridges are Bad when the water is up to them .... i felt like the tidy bowl man getting flushed ! I was able to beach it before the Falls tho ..
W

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Mon May 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Warden wrote:Now that dont sound very adventurous ! Lol prob good advice tho ... i was out in it with my 17 whaler with a 90 hp OMC .... it was definately interesting ... especialy where it necks down ...
i would not have wanted less then the 90 ! I did it in my zodiac before ... Bridges are Bad when the water is up to them .... i felt like the tidy bowl man getting flushed ! I was able to beach it before the Falls tho ..
W

Well; welcome to the club!

It sounds like you're just about adventurous enough (crazy) to be an airboat pilot! :salute: :toothy7: :cheers: :drunken:
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Hambone79 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:29 am

there are a lot of ppl who do not like warp drives. I personally like my warp it pushes really good on my setup but yes its a whiney prop but I like it.

gator7272
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby gator7272 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:29 am

I ran a Power Shift 66" Cypress for many years, switched to a 70" Whirlwind Whisper Tip and made a pretty good difference, quieter and better push. Good luck with yer paddlers :)
11.5 X 7.5 Alumitech
2.0 Ecotec LTG
2.38:1 Ballistic
3 Blade Whirlwind 2.0

Return to “Prop Talk”