Propeller space

Airboat propeller discussion.
zion
Southern Airboat Member

Propeller space

Postby zion » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:14 pm

How much space is needed between the propeller and rudders? Is 4" sufficient? The engine is a 95hp yamaha 2 stroke. The propeller is a 2 blade 60" warp drive.
Thanks
Z

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Propeller space

Postby Deano » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:48 am

I know of no reason that it would not be; I'd expect 4" would be fine.

Additionally worth noting is that front side clearance should be considered as well. Not to imply that is a issue, very likely it is not. However, a person should be aware that the prop pulls the boat forward through the air and does not push it as some may think.
As such, the prop will flex forward, not back like be might be presumed without giving it any thought.

While I make no claim of being any kind of authority where Warp drives are concerned, I would expect you'd get more thrust with an increased blade count as two blades provides very little surface area. Naturally, they would need be appropriately sized.

I'm sure there are others here with more Warp drive experience that will chime in with a recommendation.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

zion
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Propeller space

Postby zion » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks for the reply. Your right the prop will tend to flex foreword not backward. I have a snowmobile redrive. So a 2 blade prop will have to do this year. At least till I've gained some confidence in it.
Z

Return to “Prop Talk”