WHERE TO RIDE???

This one's over, but you can still read about it here.
cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

WHERE TO RIDE???

Postby cntry141iq » Mon May 30, 2005 9:40 pm

Ok folks lets gitter done and setup the next run. Seems like OKEECHOBEE is getting the nod. Its is a great place with lots of big areas and very few palm trees for shade. I lean toward a afternoon into the night type of run with a picnic dinner on top of the dike at dark thirty.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

2nd run

Postby basketcase0302 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:11 am

Cntry,

Sounds good to me! Gotta save for the gas money!

Don't know about the dike though! Ya'll know I can't climb mountains like the rest of your boats!

Ride,ride, ride!

Jeff

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:47 am

Sounds good to me cnrty141,
We could put in at Okeetantie, and run down to the 129 pump station, stopping at indian prarrie.

There are two shade trees at the bottom pf the pump station, and a large flat spot where the non-climbing boats can park.

You may know of other better spots that I don't. If so, let talk about it.

Perhaps we could eat, and frog our way back. We might have a lead boat to take anyone back to the landing that does not want to frog.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:35 am

Hey COWBOY its your show man. I belive that is the pump station I was thinkin of if it is towrds lakeport from okeetantie just past indian prarie. The entrance to the trail leading from the lake to the pumps is hard to see but I can go ahead of time and mark it out at the lake side. I know if you misss it there are some killer cattails waitin on you if you just decide to bust through and find it. I believe those are the only two oak trees in existence on lake okeechobee LOL.
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:19 am

10-4!
I heard all of that.
The last time we were out there the trail out to the pump station was getting dry, as they are pulling the lake down.

I'll have to check it out the week before the ride, as some people might not make it accross the mud if it's bad.

Maybe it will be o.k. with the rains we've been getting.

How's everyone with the time of day proposed for the ride?
I'd like to hear if anyones got a problem with coming back in after dark.

If that's a deal breaker for alot of members, we can just start out in the Morning.

I'm like cnrty141, and like to ride at night sometimes. Might even find a frog. If everyone wants to go late, perhaps we can put up a S/A T-shirt and some stuff for whoever comes back in with the most frogs.

Just an idea. Ya'll let me know about the time of day deal.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:21 am

The above was from me at work.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:49 am

I like the idea of a froggin contest, like a bass tournament for airboats, weigh in at say 11pm at night instead of 2pm in the afternoon. Night runnin is good if anyone has a breakdown or gets lost it is easier to find them in the dark. It is cooler on the boats as well and a whole lot more fun.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:05 pm

Cntry,
I agree with all that you said.
I think a mini frog tounrey would be cool.
I'll buy a X-L S/A T shirt for second place.
First prize could be a frog light that I'll build.

I know that we both like the idea, I'll just be waiting for feedback from other members interested in going on this ride.

We still have time to see what the majority of the interested members want to do.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:28 pm

Cowboy you tryin to cook em before you gig em LOL just kiddin sounds good to me You build the light I will pay rick for t-shirt

I suggest a potluck situation for the side dishes for the meal I will furnish or work with whoever volunteers to furnish the main course so anyone interested in volunteering for that please step back one step and email me

c chardt
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby c chardt » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:06 pm

Around about what time are you wanting to meet if it's later in the after noon I just might be able to make it.
www.dakotaairboats.com or 321-863-2312
If your looking for Different we build different all boats custom built any way you want.
CNC metal plasma cutting / parts / seats / trailers / hulls / Aluminum work anything you need, polymer

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:51 pm

How does 3pm sound to everyone I can post directions in case someone is running late and the trail in from the lake can be marked clearly for the ride.

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

2nd ride

Postby basketcase0302 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:55 am

Cowboy, cntry,

Can't find Okeetantie on my map! Any gps coordinates would help! Is it near the Northwest side of the lake? Also, any idea on airboat friendly camp around Moorehaven?

Basketcase

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:04 pm

Okeetantie is a campground that is at the mouth of the kissimmee river and the lake. They have both motor home & tent sites and gas pumps and a ramp. There is also an big ramp across the road ( hwy 78).
OKEE-TANTIE
10430 Hwy. 78 W
863-763-2622

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:55 pm

A buddy of mine that I built a nasty V/6 for run's that area I will have to invite him. See this was the idea me and Crock had I have always wanted to run Okeechobee and now I can and we will even have a (cruise director) that's my nick name for the local who will host each ride. SWEEEET I CAN'T WAIT.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:37 pm

Your right about the idea Waterthunder,
I knew that the first time Croc1 proposed it. Wish I'd thought of it, but just want to help keep it going. I was thinking of this ride before the first one got done. Hope someone is planning the next one now.

Really looking forward to this ride, and waiting for more member feedback on what everyone would like this ride to be.

See ya in Okeechobee, and don't forget to bring your v-6 buddy. I'd like to see that rig pound up the levee.

UncleBubba
Southern Airboat Member

Postby UncleBubba » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:03 pm

my wife said that we can come back before the 25 from vaction. she asked why i told her that about the ride she was realy cool about it. so i'm going to try to make it. my popps (dad) said he may come i'll tell him that there may some froggin he'll be game :D

scooter
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scooter » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:35 pm

Sound's like fun to me and the new boat will be ready for a road trip looking foward to putting faces to names anyone got a map or directions to the landing???
if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy

c chardt
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby c chardt » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:05 pm

I won't be able to make it my daughters having a birthday party that day. but when you all want to ride here in melbourne we can have a day/night ride and if you want to camp there is alot of places on the marsh to camp all we have to do is pick the day thunder knows north of 192 and i know south of 192 and some of north and we can also go frogging
www.dakotaairboats.com or 321-863-2312
If your looking for Different we build different all boats custom built any way you want.
CNC metal plasma cutting / parts / seats / trailers / hulls / Aluminum work anything you need, polymer

Red Dwarf

Postby Red Dwarf » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:36 pm

cntry141iq wrote:I like the idea of a froggin contest, like a bass tournament for airboats, weigh in at say 11pm at night instead of 2pm in the afternoon.

That's gettin started time for froggin :shock:

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:39 pm

You are absolutely right red but I will take direction on the timing from those who want to do it. I was tryin to make it easy on everyone some of us old farts get tired especially after being out in the sun all day. So everyone let me and cowboy know what time frame suits ya'll and we will accomadate it best we can. John

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:04 am

Red,
Last time we went out there for frogs, we started right after dark.

We started seeing frogs right away that night, so sometimes the frogs do come out early. It was a clear bright night also, an some say that makes the spooky.

I know the frogs are there, but you never know when they will come out.

Someone asked for a map above.

I'm planning to make up a flyer and post it, so vote on the time of day poll for this ride soon. It's located in this forum, and I'll use that to guage everyones preference aboat the time of day.

Considering a quick sign in and meeting for the frogging boats. Member I.D. Boat regestration number, and contact numbers. Frogging to start right after that. (dark)

Frog until 12 a.m.

Have someone at the landing for weigh in at 11 through 12.
I think we will just way whole frogs in a standard frog sack. Ties broken by frogs weighed earliest.

All boats must check in at 12 at the landing if they weigh frogs or not. They could call our cell phones if they want to stay out. I just think we need everyone to check out.

Any frogging boats not checked out will have thier phone numbers called, to try and find out if they are lost, broke down, or whatever. If someones stuck out there, then we will go out and find them.

This will be fun, but we can't leave anyone out there.

Croc1
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Croc1 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:33 am

cowboy and 141 thanks for all of your help puttin this together and makin these monthly runs more fun and organized sounds like this ones gonna be more fun than the last unfortunatly Im gonna be in Alaska and will miss this one but I will be here to help on the salt springs run in july

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

2nd ride

Postby basketcase0302 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:23 am

Cowboy,

My grandfather,(god bless his soul) built fishing cabins on the "big lake" in the fifties! I grew up riding in his front yard on his airboat which was probably the only one in Scottsboro, Alabama in the sixties. Can't wait to ride it!

I'll volunteer my wife's southern style baked beans for the meal!

I'll also volunteer to help with the "weigh-in" as I couldn't trade my recliner on the boat in for a frog chute! And as Darell Waltrip says I just don't have the "spearance" for froggin!

Did ya'll get all the rain up ther that we got the past few days! The airboat Gods have blessed us down here!

Hey cntry141iq, are you gonna use those "special" gigs that I saw on your boat!

Gotta tell everybody...Cntry has a tow behind barge for towing all the frogs! We'll ned a truck scale just for him!

Seeya soon,

Basketcase

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:07 pm

Basketcase,
You've got plenty of time to get a frog chute together. You should, cause it won't take much to out frog me.

I've been working on some frogging gear myself today.
Take a look at my new light.

fgb1934
Southern Airboat Member

mohthly run

Postby fgb1934 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:47 am

16 Miles Okeetantie TO 129 Station Much Open Water With Lake At 14 F/T Look At Lakeport Airboat Landing S/R 78 At Twin Palms Camp Dyess Ditch Ramp Good Ramps&Parking 2Miles N/E To 129 On Rim Ditch LOOK THIS OVER Frahk Brown Lakeport 863 227 4695[/b]

Return to “Okeechobee Run - June 25”