slick bottom vs polly

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
fanofthesimplelife
Southern Airboat Member

slick bottom vs polly

Postby fanofthesimplelife » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:01 pm

ordered a new hull and im wondering if i should do slick bottom or polly its a hamant ultra light powered by a 520 what is the pros and cons of both how long does slick bottom last do i risk damaging the hull more so than if i run polly i run the saint johns river and lake kissimmee ive had polly boats and know how they handle but am clueless to slick bottom and how it handles in the water and on ground

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Re: slick bottom vs polly

Postby diamondback0320 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:15 pm

I've run both & while the slick bottom is slick as owl shit it doesn't last long at all..& it depends on the terrain you run.. myself it run the st.johns..with that being said I will not run anything but Polly..the weight vs longevity in my opinion is a no brainier

fanofthesimplelife
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fanofthesimplelife » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:21 pm

I run in the water mostly I don’t go out of my way to run dry mostly its when I’m pulling up on the ridge or the waters low in the trails if they are bone dry I stay out of them

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Junker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:54 pm

I ran slick bottom .... Steel flex... for years, once a year de-rig and re-rig the boat .... got tired of it, when I purchased my new Hamant hull I had polly installed.
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

fanofthesimplelife
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fanofthesimplelife » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:24 pm

do you have to de-rig the boat to install slick bottom or can you just tilt the boat back
how did the slick bottom ride do you notice a big difference now that you have polly

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Junker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Hard to say on the difference of ride, the slick bottom was on a lite 14' glass Bandit hull where as the poly is on a 14' aluminum Hamant with rake and walk boards ...... big weight difference / different hull profile.

I miss the glass with slick, but don't miss the de-rig / re-rig.

To do a good job of slick application I would say, yes, flip the hull over, have seen where some slicks you just tilt the boat back but not with steel-Flex.
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:57 pm

In my opinion, if you run the St. John’s, especially at night or as the water is rising or dropping (lol) you need poly. I know the river well, and every now and again I hit something HARD! I like riding day time, and even more at night, and I like going where I want to go regardless of the water level.

One of my favorite buddies to ride with runs slick bottom. We have re-done it 3 times in 2 years and he now has an 8” hole in the bottom of his boat and he wants poly.

If you only follow other boats and only ride in the daytime and stay in the channel or only ride Kissimmee, we ride very differently and my opinion should have no bearing on your decision.
Last edited by mojoe on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

AirHog
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby AirHog » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:04 pm

My 2 cents worth is do the Polly. I have had both. Yes you can tilt it back ..... yes Polly adds weight. Reality is Polly lasts for years.... it helps to eliminate dents and spreads hard spots over a larger area. ... like when you hit rocks.

Without poly you always hold back from running areas cause you don’t want to wear the bottom. With poly you go where you want ... a 520 will handle it... my 2 cents...

Good luck
AirHog
Bad decisions make good stories!
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:52 pm

Are you going to be racing your boat alot? If your answer is No than I would definitely go with Polly. It gets old really fast having to redo your bottom ever 6 months or so. Remember every time you have to redo your bottom you are taking aluminum away. It might not be much but it adds up every time you have to sand it. This is just my 2 cents and my experience.
Greater love hath no man, than to lay his life down for a friend.

Bitterly clinging to my guns and my religion!

I am that conservative republican your momma warned you about!

Mossy Cypress
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Mossy Cypress » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Poly for sure, I've hit plenty of stuff hard at night and was glad I had poly on the bottom. Amazing how many deep gashes end up in the poly with normal riding. Imo it's worth its weight in gold and you will be glad you protected your new hull with it, the 520 wont even know its there.

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lariat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 am

I would suggest you start out with slick. See how long it lasts you and how you like it. When you wear it off, decide then if you want to stay with it or go poly. If you ever wanted to try it, now would be the perfect time.

fanofthesimplelife
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fanofthesimplelife » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:42 am

Only reason I’m hesitant on slick bottom is that I don’t want to damage my new hull

Mossy Cypress
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Mossy Cypress » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 am

On the St.Johns when the water drops and exposes those cut off sign posts and the exposed bolts on the crossovers you will be glad you got the poly. It just depends on where you ride. Just trying to save you money and down time. Never fails always get damage at the wrong time.To each their own. Get a bilge pump either way.

fanofthesimplelife
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fanofthesimplelife » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Bilge pump is a must and I agree with you I don’t want to have to buy a new hull just because I accidentally hit a post or something on the river that I didnt see

SeatCover
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SeatCover » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Just get poly, it's an new hull and needs protection. With a 520 you will go wherever you want with poly and not have to worry about your hull, poly is cheap compared to a new hull and slick just does not last. I just burnt off new slick in less than 20 hours, I'm getting ready to do poly real soon. Get it riveted on too from hamant
12' Cut Gilleo, Angle Valve 0-320, 72" Whisper Tip. Goes wherever I point it. :florida:

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 pm

It depends where you mostly ride. I bought a new hamant in December and did slick bottom . The hulls are welded which are not perfectly flat so you will have wear in the high spots on the bottom. I ride mostly Kissimmee and Polly isn’t needed there in my opinion. I just recently did something that I swore I’d never do and go back to Polly, I was having an issue with the bottom pushing up between the stringers. Poly sure sucks for dry running in the middle of the day but I sure love it when the ground is wet. I’d go ahead and spend the money on the poly!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

fanofthesimplelife
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fanofthesimplelife » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:47 am

Ill stick with the poly I really don’t want to damage this hull I can’t afford a new hull every year and FL cracker did you get the 5 or 7 bars when you ordered the hull?

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:11 pm

It has 7 of the ultra light T Bars. I think they call them the Simpson T Bars but not positive. If I do it again I’ll do a .190 bottom and .90 sides next time.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Another person Ignoring Hamants advice to Bottom coating or poly it? HMMM?

Kayak!

Return to “Airboat Talk”