Things not to do while airboating/ Things to always take

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Keeth1123
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Things not to do while airboating/ Things to always take

Post by Keeth1123 »

what are some stuff that you should always have while you are out?

Life jackets
Long rope for sticky situations (literally)
Bailing object

what are some things to avoid while driving
:old_glory:

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Things not to do while airboating/ Things to always take

Post by C1gator »

THIS OUGHT TO BE A FUN POST. Things to avoid while driving, let's see, spilling your beer, a tree, another boat, oyster bars, the law, that green funky looking bright green sticky grass, spilling your beer, sand bars, mud that turns grey when the tide is low and the sun has baked on it for a while, sex, unless your just that good, spilling your beer, knee high cypress knots, BARBED WIRE (be extremely careful of this, snatch the stick hard and stomp it for everything it's got) tight corners in small creeks, wakes in deep water, stay close to the bank and turn into them head on if you can't avoid them, shutting down in deep water, run to the front of the boat to avoid the water coming in the back, spilling your beer, to much throttle when not on plane in tight turns, low lying branches, and last but not least, SPILLING YOUR BEER. Oh and one more thing, you should never operate an airboat under the influence of any type of alchoholic beverage, especially BEER.

ROBERT JAMES
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ROBERT JAMES »

C1gator wrote:THIS OUGHT TO BE A FUN POST. Things to avoid while driving, let's see, spilling your beer, a tree, another boat, oyster bars, the law, that green funky looking bright green sticky grass, spilling your beer, sand bars, mud that turns grey when the tide is low and the sun has baked on it for a while, sex, unless your just that good, spilling your beer, knee high cypress knots, BARBED WIRE (be extremely careful of this, snatch the stick hard and stomp it for everything it's got) tight corners in small creeks, wakes in deep water, stay close to the bank and turn into them head on if you can't avoid them, shutting down in deep water, run to the front of the boat to avoid the water coming in the back, spilling your beer, to much throttle when not on plane in tight turns, low lying branches, and last but not least, SPILLING YOUR BEER. Oh and one more thing, you should never operate an airboat under the influence of any type of alchoholic beverage, especially BEER.

man that about covers it but not quite..........always beware of the girl that has a bigger dip than you!! :D :D always bring shoes not sandles cause sometimes you gotta push, you always need some sort of lube(whether it be 10w-30 or the other personal favorits :P ) and last but not least mosquito spray and cold snacks 8)
13'6 hydrex predator widetrack, io540, 78" terminator

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

MrTodd2U
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MrTodd2U »

Make sure you have plenty of ice for the beer. Don't forget your gig and frog shoot. I know some people carry PVC pipe, machete, shovel, an ax, oh and one fella always took his chain saw.

My thought on this is that if you don't take all this crap you're not as heavy and less likely to get stuck. Plus it gives you more room for beer, and spare gas!
It's not age that counts.... It's miles!

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa »

A good rider. So that when you stop, she can get you a beer w/o you having to get out of the seat, check the oil, and get out and push when you get stuck. Yes, you will get stuck.

BEAR
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BEAR »

oh yeah always good practice i'm going to follow now is shutting the boat down whenever getting something outta the hull.saturday night stop to get some grass off the headers and out of the hull went to stand back up and the wind blew my shirt into the belts and procedded to chew into my shoulder blade till i was able to get the rest of the shirt ripped off my back!little to say those cooling blades on the alternator pulley cut through skin and shirt like butter.not one of my prouder moments! :evil: on that subject definately don't spill your beverage,cause you will need as a pain killer till you seek proper attention. :oops: godbless ya'll and happy airboating.

FrogNutz
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by FrogNutz »

Things I always take:
1. GPS
2. Gallon of water (incase I end up hiking back out)
3. Cellphone
4. Basic tool kit (w/flashlight)
5. Extra spot light
6. Extra motor oil
7. Rubber boots
8. First aid kit
9. Cheap plastic poncho (incase I have to wait out the rain somewhere)

Things I never do:
1. Fly around blindspots on a trail
2. Prop wash another boater
3. Ride close to someone fishing
4. Power load near a residential area
5. Leave trash behind
6. Park next to a boat with an old wore out wood prop
7. Go riding with the Geneva boys without plenty of beer!!! :D
"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials."--- Newt Gingrich

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Ok, I read something I don't understand..... avoid extreme power in a sharp turn while not on plane..... Thats pretty much exactly what I did when I sunk, except in the middle of it I lost a lot of power due to some issues.....

I don't like to turn hard on plane, not comfortable with it at all....

Would like to know the hows and whys of that statement.

Thanks, Jeff

Seminole Wind
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Seminole Wind »

Frog, ya never have to worry about the beer if I'm around.......I got yer back in that department.

I always like to carry a small throw away tarp, they don't weigh anything and they shore are handy if you end up spending the nite some where.

I figure if I got skeeter spray,beer, and a small tarp, I'm good.

Don't fergit yer gun....fer snakes , pesky varmits, and supper.
THROW ALL THE RAT BASTARDS OUT.....RE-ELECT NO ONE!!!
F.T.M.F.
Be safe and keep yer knees in da breeze;
Vinny

http://community.webshots.com/user/hdbuckwheat
http://www.highlifter.com
http://www.svtperformance.com

Seminole Wind
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Seminole Wind »

Jeff......torque roll will cause the back inside corner to dip down and ya could take on a lot of water.
THROW ALL THE RAT BASTARDS OUT.....RE-ELECT NO ONE!!!
F.T.M.F.
Be safe and keep yer knees in da breeze;
Vinny

http://community.webshots.com/user/hdbuckwheat
http://www.highlifter.com
http://www.svtperformance.com

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

any cut and dry rules of turning on plane and off plane? I'm still learning, and have to deal with lots of water thats a bit deeper than it should be...

Keeth1123
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Keeth1123 »

Yeah A few pointers on stoppin her and turnin her would be nice I think I got it down But Id rather know Before I have to see If I can still swim
:old_glory:

painterchic
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by painterchic »

BEAR wrote:oh yeah always good practice i'm going to follow now is shutting the boat down whenever getting something outta the hull.saturday night stop to get some grass off the headers and out of the hull went to stand back up and the wind blew my shirt into the belts and procedded to chew into my shoulder blade till i was able to get the rest of the shirt ripped off my back!little to say those cooling blades on the alternator pulley cut through skin and shirt like butter.not one of my prouder moments! :evil: on that subject definately don't spill your beverage,cause you will need as a pain killer till you seek proper attention. :oops: godbless ya'll and happy airboating.

See now if you guys would just airboat shirtless... you wouldn't have that problem.... wait... nevermind.... you guys will want to say whats good for the goose is good for the gander on that one.... forget I said anything! :lol: :lol: :lol:

T
Painterchic Custom Paint and Vinyl
607-345-9394
PainterchicVinyl@gmail.com

www.Painterchic.com
Tonia Painterchic Suarez on Facebook
Painterchic Vinyl on Facebook and Etsy
Skeeter Bug Gifts on Facebook

wtfjr
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by wtfjr »

:wink: Bullfrog Bud told me to never depart ramp or camp without a headlight (no matter what time), appro tools, and 5gl extra gas. Remember you are never lost till your out of GAS!!!!!!!!

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

ice beer,and bug glasses
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

In summer, bug spray or SSS; in winter, one of those thermal blanket type tarps....just in case ya run out of gas, vapor lock under the stars or something....and, a bottle of Asti or Brut and a clean t shirt for the passenger who got your beer, pushed and pulled and who might now be just a tad muddy and need a change of clothes.....oh, don't forget the AvGas....Passengers Love AvGas
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

Sorry for the confusion, if your making a left turn in a tight corner and your not on plain and start throddling up (let me clarify this also, giving it some gas and holding the rpms just to go a little faster but not gunning it to jump on plane ) you could easily dip the right side corner in the water and sink rather quickly, especially if you have some opposing water flow IE tide, current, or a wake, even wind pushing you from the same direction as your trying to turn. If your on plane, this does not apply, the boat should hook and push on thru the turn, hope this helps....somebody who can explain this better than me might better chime in, I do not want to confuse anyone and cause a boo-boo...

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

C1gator wrote:Sorry for the confusion, if your making a left turn in a tight corner and your not on plain and start throddling up (let me clarify this also, giving it some gas and holding the rpms just to go a little faster but not gunning it to jump on plane ) you could easily dip the right side corner in the water and sink rather quickly, especially if you have some opposing water flow IE tide, current, or a wake, even wind pushing you from the same direction as your trying to turn. If your on plane, this does not apply, the boat should hook and push on thru the turn, hope this helps....somebody who can explain this better than me might better chime in, I do not want to confuse anyone and cause a boo-boo...
My Man it just takes practice. The problem is that every hull will handle differently, let alone having different motors will be hevier and have more or less horse power with what kind of prop... So you just got to take it slow and work your way up to where comfortable AND FOR GOD SAKE DON'T SPILL YOUR BEER! :mrgreen: :lol:

Geoff

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt »

rost495 wrote:any cut and dry rules of turning on plane and off plane? I'm still learning, and have to deal with lots of water thats a bit deeper than it should be...
Turning while at idle is a combination of 4 things IMO.
It's these 4 things that are on my mind when I make any deep water turn at idle:
1. Torque. Motor and prop spinning will push one corner of the boat down - especially when goosing the throttle a little.
2. Centrifugal force/resistance of water. As you get turning, the top of the boat wants to turn faster than the bottom - in other words roll over in the direction of the outside of the turn. This is amplified if your bump a tree limb or something underwater with your hull.
3. Wind can amplify any of these forces.
4. When you get to turning, your hull is pushing a little hill of water, not to mention waves from other sources that can reach up and grab you. Put another way, when the above 3 things have lowered your freeboard height, even a small little wave can grab you. Once 100 pounds of water flows in the back of the boat, you are that much lower in the water! And 100 pounds can flow in within 4 or 5 seconds.

Jeff, a good place to practice is find some calm water - a flats area - 1 foot deep or so. Just enough to float the boat. And do some figure-8's. You'll quickly notice how your boat performs in these slow maneuvers! You'll notice when it scrapes on the bottom during a turn. It's not an issue in our larger boat, but I learned to drive in our small boat, and I've noticed that it's a habit for me to watch the right rear corner of the boat during a turn AS MUCH AS I'm watching where I'm going forward!!!

Prop Torque affects:
Direct drive & Belt drive = RIGHT REAR CORNER
Gear drive = LEFT REAR CORNER

So to keep this comment on topic, that's what you should ALWAYS bring with you.... Knowledge, Practice, & Experience.

:)

matt.

T-REX
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by T-REX »

put cell phones in ziplock bags- left rear corner is my archilles. :?

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

Good tip on the zip locks, but i put mine in a plastic coffe can, and I keep it stored loose (not in a hatch ) I want it to be able to float freely if the boat does go down, if nothing else I can grab my floatiing coffee can and call for help.....

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe »

Never take whats suppose to be asprin for a head ache from an acuantance,drink a couple beers and run up a dyke that is all woods on the other side :evil: 2 hours later and a chain saw I got my boat back up on the dyke and took a 6 hour nap and then went home.Long pants are a must at nite as well.
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

deckover...
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Return to “Airboat Talk”