Polyurea

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Polyurea

Post by airduds » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 am

Anybody know anything about it?

I've done some research and polyurea refers to a whole family of products and is not just one specific mix.

I've read that spray in bed-liners is one application, but then I've also found where it's used in dumptruck beds and in coal chutes.

Now I know a little about both of those and if it stands up in those applications it is some tough stuff.

What got me started on it was sitting down next to saleman in a bar a few weeks ago. We were talking about boats, then airboats, and then regular poly.

He went out to his car an came back with some samples. He guarantees the stuff can be made far harder than UHMW Poly sheets (he was very familiar with that), yet remain flexible enough that it doesn't break off.

A big drawback, although it can be applied numerous ways, the best is with a spray system that mixes the specific components in the air as it's going on. He said that piece of equipment runs about $40K.

Definitely not for a do it yourselfer but maybe something one of the mfgrs could do?

Anyway, comparing all the fancy numbers for shear and adhesion, toughness, etc, etc,, it seeems far superior to regular poly.

If it's as tough as it seems, it could just be reapplied over an old coat as it wore down.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Polyurea

Post by Rich Andrews » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:10 am

I looked into this a while ago, and forgot about it. I think it will be the way to go eventually.
They do it on Steel with #1200 - Epoxy Zinc Rich Primer. They also make it in a brush application.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:14 am

Hard to believe it can be as good as he described but if so, imagine no drilling hundreds of holes in something you want to float; and probably not a tenth of the weight.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 am

here was a thread from a guy that came up with the spray on poly,he hasnt been on hear in awhile but i e-mailed him a year ago and he still responds.

http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... f=2&t=4729
If life looks hairy in front of you! Shave it and put a condom on.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 am

Anything to keep from punching holes in a brand new hull! Sounds mighty interesting.
If it's that hard it'll be slick as snot too. 8)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

tdarr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by tdarr » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:53 am

The bonded on poly from blinker at linktech-inc. is now called oceapoly. It is great stuff. I have it on two deckover sleds an it works great. It has been on both boats over a year now and have run it pretty had in all types of conditions with no sighs of wear or damage. The poly is vacuum formed on hull. I am very pleased with product . Company number for it is 269-427-8297.

D-BREWSTER
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by D-BREWSTER » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:18 pm

IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE A SPRAY ON POLYMER ? THAT WOULD BE GREAT FOR ALL THE GUYS WHO LOVE TO RUN STEEL FLEX AND FROG SPIT , THEY WOULDNT HAVE TO RE-APPLY 2 TIMES A YEAR , BUT HOW WOULD IT DO FOR THE GUYS THAT HUNT OR JUST RUN TOUGH AREAS WERE YOU MIGHT RUN OVER A FENCE POST OR HIT A STUMP , I WONDER HOW IT WOULD DO FROM KEEPING THE BOTTOM FROM GETTING DENTED AND DINGED UP ..I THINK THATS THE BEST THING ABOUT THE HARD POLYMER IS IT TAKES THE BRUNT OF THE BEATINGS.. I HOPE THEY COME OUT WITH A PRODUCT LIKE THIS THAT WILL WORK I WOULD LOVE NOT TO HAVE TO RUN POLYMER AND SAVE THE WEIGHT BUT IF I DIDNT HAVE IT ON THE BOTTOM THE STUFF IVE RAN OVER AND SLID INTO I WOULD ALREADY BE BUILDING A NEW HULL....SOMEBODY TRY IT LET US KNOW HOW IT DOES..
UNITED SPORTSMEN FOR TRADITIONAL HERITAGE
http://usfth.tripod.com/
CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/usfth?ref=stream
Lastflcracker@centurylink.net
member of the USFTH ,K.R.V.S.A.,
Outlaw Airboat and Buggy board http://www.usfth.com

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:10 pm

thanks tdarr,i guess when i have some more money to blow i know what i will use.
If life looks hairy in front of you! Shave it and put a condom on.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:45 pm

The military uses this stuff to re create metal surfaces(ie build it up on worn shafts,blades etc) it re creates metal surfaces and you can machine it back to spec. I know its tough as hell if applied right. You would need to beed/sand blast the bottom before applying it,and need a primer. It is not cheap either somewhere around 150,200 a gallon. I think the good part of it is if your just gonna run dry ground occasionally it will give you the protection you need. Friction is the question I have not been able to identify. I guess we need a guinea pig boat to test it on. One thing is for sure,no water will get under it, and it will not change the way a boat rides. Nor will your boat leak.You can make it as thick or thin as you want. It can be re applied very easily once the first coat has been done.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

LARRY MCRAE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by LARRY MCRAE » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:12 pm

lol run from that stuff, I have been in the urethane foam buis since i was 16 im 37 now, the polyureas is ok for light industral stuff, I have sparyed in many of cold stoarge buildings and also i have tried it on a couple of 16ft jon boats sprayed the inside but it just does not hold up. the uvs destroy it, and not to mention you have to have your surface super clean, ya we thought about putting on a old glass hull there always sending me stuff to try but it would really suck if it didnt hold up.
SEE I TOLD YA IT FLOATS

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:48 am

It sounds good to me, Rich! If I was havin a new hull built I'd be happy to be the guinea pig for it. There's got to be something better than the way we've been doing it.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Return to “Airboat Talk”