Oak Head directions

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
BaxterPointYachtClub
Southern Airboat Member

Oak Head directions

Post by BaxterPointYachtClub »

I would like to ride this area but have no idea on how to get there. I live in Mims and would be coming down I-95 to get there, can anybody give me detailed directions to the best place to launch and where to go from there? Thanks
Real airboats have airplane motors.

cetchdawg
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Oak Head directions

Post by cetchdawg »

If you are gonna put in at lake Washington prolly yer best bet just go west north west across the lake and over the dam follow the river and you will run right into it you might hit a few places and need to get back on tract but the water is coming down so you will know pretty quick!! There are also trails you can take but i will leave those for you to decide on the way back! it is really easy if you take the lake to the dam then just follow the river!! :thumbup: good luck

Hotfoot5
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hotfoot5 »

If your coming down I95, get off at the Eau Gallie Blvd exit and take head East for a short distance. When you come to the first redlight turn left (North on Aurora Rd). Head north a short distance past the trailer park and then the new gated community, after passing these the road will curve to the right. At this curve turn left (Harlock). Take Harlock to Lake Washington Rd. Take a left on Lake Washington (headed west). It will dead end at the boat ramp and the lake.

The ramp at Lake Washington is really nice. On the south side of the ramp there is a nice area strictly for airboats. (You can power load here no problems). Once you've launched head to the NW corner of the lake, that is where you find the dam and have to jump it.

After this follow Cetchdawgs advice. Oakhead is not hard to find, especially on the weekends.

FishHead
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FishHead »

check your pm

CONTINENTAL CRACKER
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by CONTINENTAL CRACKER »

just to let everyone know the servay trail is drying up fast. i got the 4 cyc boat wedged in the trail last friday night. the air boat trail is wide open though
I WOULD RATHER PADDLE A CANOE THAN OWN A WATERPUMPER

Homegrown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Homegrown »

Put in at the cabbage and head south you'll figure it out, and learn alot of other places to go also, if you hit washington you went too far, If you gave me call every once in a while I would go ride and show you how to get there.......I know you probably think my boat won't keep up with yours, but I swear I won't slow you down

Croc1
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Croc1 »

I definetly would not jump the dam/weir!! On the south side of the weir is a wooden airboat crossing ramp.

BaxterPointYachtClub
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BaxterPointYachtClub »

Thanks alot guys! If I can't find it now I got real problems...
Real airboats have airplane motors.

marshrat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by marshrat »

What day are you goin??
Jim
Team ChugMonkey Drink Hard or Go Home
14x8 DB with Ls Power :naka:

Ted

Post by Ted »

Gogle earth. Map it
We put in at lone cabbage if water low take the south side of lake to the middle river. Will put you in to lake Winder in south west corner of lake is river . I you can run dry. go to south east corner of lake find trail - wet road. take road to river turn left. 800 to a 1000 yard to Oak head.

broncobill
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by broncobill »

Hey I went on google earth that looks like a cool place to ride. I 've been to the races at Eau Gallie many years ago but never did any riding there. how deep is the river through there is it all trees on the shore or sloped beach? Always looking for other places to ride and explore.

Jimmy Rickards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Jimmy Rickards »

Here is a picture of Oak Head.Image
If your dog doesn't like someone. You probably shouldn't either

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac »

Spent a lot of time down there in the seventies, looks a little
more civilized now than then.
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

Return to “Airboat Talk”