rusty tank

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

rusty tank

Postby C1gator » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:53 am

Not an airboat, but anyone got any ideas how to clean rust out of an old atv fuel tank?

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: rusty tank

Postby R L Williams » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:58 am

Fill about 1/4 full with small shark rocks, water and shake the devil out of it. When clean, dry and use a tank sealer or it will rust again.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:02 pm

That should do it. Keep in mind that when tanks are put up half full or empty they form condensation on the inside. To prevent this simply fill the tank after you are done for the day. if your worried the gas will go bad over time, just splash a bit of stabil in it. You will never see a rusted tank again. Well rusted from the inside anyway.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby R L Williams » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:27 pm

New marine grade sta-bil is better to use with this new corn gas crap.

mudkat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mudkat » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:34 pm

use a small piece of chain instead of rocks or whatever way easier to get out of tank ,if you have ever tried to get rocks out of a tank you'll know what I'm talking about.

czech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby czech » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:26 pm

I had some fuel tanks rust in my past.I took those hard to find tanks to the radiator shop and let them clean and recoat the inside.It worked for me.
When it gets to tough for everybody else,that's when its just right for me.15 X 7.5 Duckmaster,330 hp 350,79 3 bld whisper tip....and that's enough for me.

FP1201
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby FP1201 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:27 pm

We used to dump a carton of BB's in the tank with fuel oil, then turn it over and over while sloshing it side to side; drain, rinse, repeat as necessary. Body shops use a an acid that dissolves rust and etches the metal prior to priming, maby some of that stuff inside would help?
Mother Nature plays to win, and if she doesn't get you, her bitch of a daughter Krama will.

lanny haff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby lanny haff » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:13 pm

I was a professional motor cycle mechanic + I did a bunch of tanks. Use muriatic acid +ss nuts shake good. + wash out with water. BE CAREFUL. After you drain the tank flush it wirh acetone + go to a motorcycle shop + get a product called Creme tank sealer It' made by drag specialities. Make sure to remove fuel petcock before hand or the acid will destroy it.
Lanny Haff

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bob in Canada » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Lanny gets my vote . If it's really rusty ... Scrap it . It will cause you fuel starvation , stalling , plugged jet problems forever . If it's bad ,save yourself the grief and kick it out the garage door. Find a good used one .
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby C1gator » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:32 am

Great tips, and thank you all. Before a read lanny's post I was already out there trying some of the other rust removal tactics, and I used a handful of stainles nuts and bolts with water. It worked good, but I found a hole in the tank, so I think it is time to go on a trank hunting adventure. My Nephew hunts off of an old 3 wheeler, he didn't just have it, He searched the internet and found it. Long story short, he got me interested in them, and they are a blast to ride in the woods. I ended up getting me on old Honda big red (runs great) and another honda that needs a lot of work. Those Big red Hondas with the 192cc motor came with a low range and A high range, they really pull and climb good. Kind of fun going back in time a bit and riding some of the original atv 3 wheelers. Wouldn't recomend it for small kids, but if you respect them they are fun.

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby R L Williams » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:55 am

Yep, I've seen big reds cross deep creeks with a light rider, (floats very good), jus dont fergit and put your foot down, (while gitting it on, if you got long legs), like on a dirt bike, you will have to go back and git your shoe to put back on your skint foot. :lol:
"GRASS SCOOTER"
Member of the over the hill gang.
United Sportsmen Airboaters Alliance.
NRA life member.

lanny haff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby lanny haff » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:58 am

That stuff I told you about [Creme] will fill holes as long as they're not too big 1/4" or so + it lasts for years. I' used it on old bikes that you couldn't get anew tank for. IT WORKS!
Lanny

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby C1gator » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks lanny. If I don't find one I'll give it a whirl, I noticed some JB weld on the bottom of the tank also which leads me to believe it might have some other issues, but I'll sure keep it in mind....AS far as crossing a creek, I've heard that, but never tried it. Sounds like a new boat to me.....

outcast
Southern Airboat Member

Postby outcast » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:12 pm

that sealer never holds up on motorcycles...it will clog the petcock..clean it with marbles and gas...shake it up and drain it...and if it has jb weld on it ..iam sure it will leak anyways.. let me know what kind of tank you have i have a chopper and bike shop maybe i have one laying around or i know where you can find one...matt.

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby C1gator » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:20 pm

It's a 1985 honda 3 wheeler, 200 cc motor, not sure exactly but it has the gold rims on the back, let me know if you don't mind, I need some other parts also. Looks a little smaller than the big red, previous owner said it was pretty quick for a 200cc. Thanks.....

lanny haff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby lanny haff » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:38 pm

I have tank sealer in my 1948 ULH, it's been in it for 25 years + I never had aproblem
Lanny

Return to “Airboat Talk”