Are we arrogant? (Memorial Day Tribute)

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Are we arrogant? (Memorial Day Tribute)

Post by SwampMatt » Sat May 23, 2009 7:43 pm

I got this in email, it touched my heart, and I thought I'd pass it along for Memorial Day.
We enjoy a world today that is what it is BECAUSE of those who gave their lives on foreign soil. Our sons and daughters went to a foreign land and gave their lives for what we have today. It would not have been possible without that ultimate sacrifice. Many returned home as heros, many heros never came home.

And now, years later they call us arrogant?
I call it PRIDE.
I call it THANKS.

I was recently blessed with the opportunity to spend a whole day walking around Arlington Nat'l Cemetery. Yes it is on the pre-war estate of Robert E. Lee, but still, it's such a touching thing to see. Also, I've walked the local cemeteries in Orlando, Bartow, and Lakeland. Most city/town cemeteries have some who gave their lives for everyone's freedom, and I strongly urge everyone to pay a visit to them sometime in the near future. Look for the older white marble tomb stones. Look at the names and the dates. Do a little math. Say a little prayer of thanks. It's difficult to do without shedding a tear, Give it a try. You'll be glad you did. :) I promise.

Folks, like with Christmas celebrating the birth of Christ, PLEASE REMEMBER THE TRUE MEANING of Memorial Day.

matt.

In alphabetical order. Just Europe.

1. The American Cemetery at Aisne-Marne, France. A total of 2289 of our military dead.

2. The American Cemetery at Ardennes, Belgium. A total of 5329 of our dead.

3. The American Cemetery at Brittany, France. A total of 4410 of our military dead.

4. Brookwood, England American Cemetery. A total of 468 of our dead.

5. Cambridge, England. 3812 of our military dead.

6. Epinal, France American Cemetery. A total of 5525 of our Military dead.

7. Flanders Field, Belgium. A total of 368 of our military.

8. Florence, Italy. A total of 4402 of our military dead.

9. Henri-Chapelle, Belgium. A total of 7992 of our military dead.

10. Lorraine, France. A total of 10,489 of our military dead.

11. Luxembourg, Luxembourg. A total of 5076 of our military dead.

12. Meuse-Argonne. A total of 14246 of our military dead.

13. Netherlands, Netherlands. A total of 8301 of our military dead.

14. Normandy, France. A total of 9387 of our military dead.

15. Oise-Aisne, France. A total of 6012 of our military dead.

16. Rhone, France. A total of 861 of our military dead.

17. Sicily, Italy. A total of 7861 of our military dead.

18. Somme, France. A total of 1844 of our military dead.

19. St. Mihiel, France. A total of 4153 of our military dead.

20. Suresnes, France. a total of 1541 of our military dead.

Apologize to no one.

Remind those of our sacrifice and don't confuse arrogance with leadership.
Last edited by SwampMatt on Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrogNutz
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Are we arrogant? (Memorial Day Tribute)

Post by FrogNutz » Sun May 24, 2009 12:45 am

Mood,

This is, without a doubt, the best post I have read. I was unaware of a few of these cemeteries. It's sobering to look at all of those crosses and realize that each one of them represents the life of someone's son, or brother, or father, or daughter, or sister. Every one of these people had a personality; be it funny and rambunctious, or serious and dour. They all laughed and cried, and were filled with human emotions like each of us. They all had someone that loved them dearly and grieved when they didn't return from a war that we seem to have forgotten about.

It saddens (and sickens) me to see what we have become. Is this really what these heroes died for? Did they die so that Obama could travel the world and genuflect before our enemies; apologizing for our "arrogance"? It is THEY that should be apologizing for THEIR arrogance. I've been to 49 of our 50 states, and I have never passed one cemetery filled with thousands of their dead who gave their lives to save us from tyrrany.

Unfortunately, there are millions of Americans who view Memorial Day as nothing more than a reason to party and get drunk; never once thinking about these people and what they gave. The apathy that has swept our nation is astounding to me. As a kid I could've never believed that it would come to this. No one seems to care anymore. We're all out for a good time, and then we wonder how we end up with the leaders that we elect. It makes me sick to my stomach, but I'm powerless to do anything about it.

The older I get, the more alone I feel in this world. I watch in amazement as people seem to worship pop culture and its icons. These entertainers never gave one thing for this country, and they are not worthy of our adoration. Many of them despise America and everything it stands for. (i.e. Sean Penn, Danny Glover, Dixie Chicks, Jane Fonda, Barbara Streisand, etc., etc.) Yet, they are celebrated endlessly. It's hard to watch, and it's turning me into a 45 year old curmudgeon, but "C'est la vie".
"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials."--- Newt Gingrich

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:03 am

NOT ARROGANT JUST GOOD. - A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'To The United States of America ' for an amount of 'Up to and including my life.' That is Honor
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Sun May 24, 2009 6:35 am

A very sobering post.

Thanks, Mood.

Jerry
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

Bob Burnside
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Bob Burnside » Sun May 24, 2009 11:48 am

Very nice. Without them we wouldn't be able to enjoy what we have today. They where the true leadership of this country. They knew what had to be done and got it done. May God bless all of them and help us never to forget, that they give it all.

fatboy0054
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fatboy0054 » Sun May 24, 2009 4:55 pm

No greater sacrifice could be given ,for a man to die for what he belives in !And i respect everyone of yall !I am so sorry this country took such a down ward side on this !I belive in yall ,past or present !And thank yall !Most had forgot what this means but some still remember !May god be with yall and them too! thanks Matt!
(Disclaimer )! Which means ! Dont try to sue me for your own stupidity !
http://www.mymudspace.com/fatboy0054
http://www.myspace.com/fatboy0054

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C » Sun May 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Great post Mood :thumbup:

Reddfin
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Reddfin » Sun May 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks for showing me that.

Tony
Proud and (again) current member of the "Four Banger's Club"

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Sun May 24, 2009 6:47 pm

OUTSTANDING POST :)
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

bwright
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bwright » Sun May 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks Matt :thumbup:
Palm Beach open hull, full grass rake, conduit rigging, up stack I0540, swinging A Q series 72', single rudder / old school

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Winston Churchill.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Sun May 24, 2009 11:27 pm

Dangit y'all. Please stop thanking me. I just posted an email I got.
If you want to thank someone, thank a VET.
I'm serious.
Stop giving me thanks.
I'm not a vet. I'm just a grateful citizen, who only just begins to understand the cost of what some gave for my freedom.

That's a great line KR23. Great way to put it: They wrote a blank check good for anything up to and including their life. It's not just the dead ones that wrote that check. They are just the ones called to pay. The fact that all are WILLING to pay is what makes them heros.
FrogNutz wrote:It's sobering to look at all of those crosses and realize that each one of them represents the life of someone's son, or brother, or father, or daughter, or sister. Every one of these people had a personality; be it funny and rambunctious, or serious and dour. They all laughed and cried, and were filled with human emotions like each of us. They all had someone that loved them dearly and grieved when they didn't return from a war that we seem to have forgotten about.
Frog, that is one solemn thought. That's what I feel too when I stand at the foot of a K.I.A. grave; Here lies a human being. Someone who was a person who was willing to go into harm's way for a cause he believed in. This was a living, breathing, eating, sleeping, laughing, crying, thinking PERSON who was FREE. And now is not. They had dreams and goals, and fears and favorites just like you and me. Now they don't.

I cannot stress enough the importance of visiting your local cemetery. DO IT. It will take you only about 15 or 20 minutes if you are in a hurry, but you can take as long as you want for sure. Try it the next time you pass the cemetery on your errands and you can spare some minutes, drive up and look for the cluster of identical white head stones, many of them may be green or black from the moss & mildew. These are the Killed In Action kids. Look at their ages, and ponder what could have been with each and every one of those lives. Think about the parents who's dreams for their child are shattered. I dare you to try it.

That is what Memorial Day should be. REMEMBERING. Paying respects.
You can go out partying with friends on the actual holiday, Memorial Day does not have to be a specific day on the calendar, JUST SO LONG AS THERE IS SOME MEMORIAL in your heart on some day. I can (and should) be more than one day too. That's what it's all about. REMEMBERING.

I found this photo in my email today. It touched my heart as much as the others do...

When 2nd Lt. James Cathey's body arrived at the Reno Airport , Marines climbed into the cargo hold of the plane and draped the flag over his casket as passengers watched the family gather on the tarmac.
During the arrival of another Marine's casket last year at Denver International Airport , Major Steve Beck described the scene as so powerful: 'See the people in the windows? They sat right there in the plane, watching those Marines. You gotta wonder what's going through their minds, knowing that they're on the plane that brought him home,' he said 'They will remember being on that plane for the rest of their lives. They're going to remember bringing that Marine home. And they should.'

Don't thank me... Thank a vet:

If you want the original emails forwarded to you, so you can share them with your own email group, drop me a note at matt@SwampLane.com Once I've got your address, I'll forward them to ya.

matt.

(edited to fix the photo link)
Last edited by SwampMatt on Mon May 30, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:28 am

Mood great post, but I have to disagree with you. These are not kids! When you sign that papper your a MAN. BOTTOM LINE! When I get some of these young men they are a world apart from someone the same age that dosent walk in there same shoes. It is amazing to watch 18-22 year old young men protect this country at all cost. For all us salty dogs that have been doing it for awhile it still amazes me that these young and woman show the strengh that do. RLTW

FrogNutz
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by FrogNutz » Mon May 25, 2009 6:13 am

KR23 wrote:These are not kids! When you sign that papper your a MAN. BOTTOM LINE! When I get some of these young men they are a world apart from someone the same age that dosent walk in there same shoes. It is amazing to watch 18-22 year old young men protect this country at all cost. For all us salty dogs that have been doing it for awhile it still amazes me that these young and woman show the strengh that do.
Dan, I couldn't agree more. I'm forever amazed at the maturity level of these young people wearing the uniform. They blow me away. They're miles ahead of the baggy pants turds that I see walking through the malls back home, thinking everyone owes them something.
"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials."--- Newt Gingrich

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Mon May 25, 2009 10:06 am

I agree with y'all on the 'kids' thing. I just used that word because so many of them in the graveyard are 19 & 20.... and just looking at it from the perspective of a proud, yet grieving parent. So many of them never had a chance to grow up and have a family of their own. I didn't mean to imply our soldiers were children. And I know you did not take it that way.

:)

T-REX
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by T-REX » Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 am

sobering. thanku.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon May 25, 2009 12:45 pm

When I went to Navy Boot Camp and came home on Boot Camp Leave I was STUNNED at how all the guys I left behind had got younger and all they wanted to do was play and act silly. It took me a lot of years to understand It was ME who had changed not them. At times its almost embarassing to look back to my pre-Navy days.

Arby's is giving out free sandwiches here to all us vets. Were riding our motorcycles up there in a couple hours in full color with flags flying. Should be some good conversations remembering. Of course I am in that age group now that each year I see fewer and fewer faces that were there last year.

It indeed is a time to remember and tell the stories that all too soon won't be told anymore. However the old stories will be replaced with new ones and new heros. As it should be, for me anyway.

Thanks for the thread Matt. Keep in mind that folks like you remembering that us vets served is a very critical part of our American Life.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

fatboy0054
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fatboy0054 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:42 pm

This is what i do in my off times !I am a board member of this little grass root deal !We are little rite now ,but dont think we are going to grow !We cant give back a whole lot but do what we can !love yall ! http://www.manateesoperationtroopsupport.com/index.html Just take visit threw the pages ,Some of these guys come back to nothing !We try to make sure they know we care ! This was started by a guy that didnt have no service ties at all !Just one day he seen something he didnt like happen !And he wanted to give back ! :D
(Disclaimer )! Which means ! Dont try to sue me for your own stupidity !
http://www.mymudspace.com/fatboy0054
http://www.myspace.com/fatboy0054

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus » Mon May 25, 2009 6:04 pm

"GARRYOWEN" :wink:
:texas:

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Sun May 30, 2010 2:47 pm

Bump for 2010.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sun May 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Once more Matt, you found a post with a thread life that is lasting. This is the very reason some of us fly the flag every day not just on Memorial day. It flies on my bike anytime its out and every time its out.

I have never felt it was arrogance but now that its been mentioned again, I think I am a bit arrogant about my flag. If the rest of the world don't like it, let them do better than America has. Yeh right.

Some, even most of our forefathers came to this land from afar and claimed the land of the native peoples. It could have gone far different than it did. It could have been a land of death and enslavement but we as a nation finally built it into a nation of opportunity. Our blood and our sons blood had hallowed this land and we have become the leaders of the free world. We have the right to be a bit arrogant indeed! What has recently happened to this land is unforgivable and there is nothing that can be done to set it right short of more of our people bleeding at home and in foreign lands. Just wish Our Chief Executive felt the same way about this land that us citizens do. But he has never done anything to secure this nation, he has never done anything to make her greater.

In my opinion even though elected, his performance has become one of a person who has no love for the land. He only sees what he can take not what he can contribute. Citizens have a blood stake here either in their ancestry or in their family but this man has no stake in America, and has no heart for making her greater and protecting her.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Sun May 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I hope we can keep this on track and remember and respect for the veterns who have both survived and those who were lost. Great thread, I just hope it does not turn into a political bashing thread. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Sun May 30, 2010 5:42 pm

A great remembrance...And how many of other countries folks were killed here helping us? Zero. Guess that's why we are the best...and damn sure not arrogant.

Maddog

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:49 am

Once again I have to say thanks to all of you who posted to remember the real reason we celebrate this holiday, I first stepped foot on foreign soil almost 9 years ago to defend my country from those who wish us harm. Almost on a daily basis I see the great American spirit of our brave young men and women. It is a very humbling experience, to stand alongside some of the greatest men and women to walk this great earth. I have watched many great men leave this earth to early, but for some there is no greater sacrifice then to die defending this great country, and to provide the great freedoms we love so much. I know many men that are willing to stand and stay till the last bad guy has fallen, so there children do not have to, I just wish some in our country had the back bone to get this done, and done right.

jrlyles
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by jrlyles » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:21 am

Great post,it makes you think a little.Im proud to have been born in the greatest place on the planet.and so many have died or been injured and sadly came back unable to adjust to civilian life.I wish the government would start doing more for our vets,last night i saw where alot of cities had cut out the memorial day celebrations do to budget cuts.I believe the current president would like us to some how forget our past,hell he has alredy apologized for our past.well anyway GOD bless the USA and GOD bless our troops.DAN you stay safe my friend and ill see you soon .thanks for all you and all our vets do.
Junior Lyles
Volusia County Sportman's Conservation Association
Florida Airboat Association Member
Preach & lead singing at revival meetings on the side

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Mon May 30, 2011 9:49 am

I just wanted to bump this one up for Memorial Day 2011.
We all like to get out and boat and bbq and enjoy the weather.... but don't forget those who made it possible to enjoy those freedoms.

If you can, attend a service or gathering where the families of those lost will be. If you are observant, and take part in the service, it'll change your life. Trust me on that one. ;)

And it doesn't have to be a "Memorial Day" (the actual holiday) to make a memorial day of your own ANY day of the year. Some time when you are driving from place to place and you see a cemetary of any decent size.... drive in for 10 minutes or so. Park in the shade, and walk around. Look for a grouping of smallish white marble tomb stones. Do the math on the dates. 19 years old is awful young to die for your country. Think about the life that 19 year old kid could have had.... and gave up ....for us. Yes, any day can be a personal memorial day, but is the big day for us all to think about this. Never forget what it's about!!!!

:old_glory: :florida:

Return to “Airboat Talk”