Just a dumb survey

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Cajun Airboater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Cajun Airboater » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:06 pm

I am currently in 12' Gilileo hull with an 0-360 Lycoming. My dream boat would be a 15x7.5' Robicheaux hull with a 454 belt drive reduction turning a 3 blade Powershift.

COLD
Southern Airboat Member

Postby COLD » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:16 pm

Great info everybody! Still want the engine mounted down low so I guess it's still going to be a 454. Can't see the benifit of running a long belt and keeping the ratio at 1/1 to 1.5/1 with a 455, 383 sbc would be worst case senario! I could live with that. (have you seen the 427 ci 351W kits and some of the other stuff I think Probe, at least thats the brand of pistons, is doing? WOW). My boat WILL run on pump gas so I want to be able to build the engine to about 9.5-10/1 without having to spend $3000 on heads. I know the prop is the end solution but I really hate to drop $3000 on a prop.

AirAg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby AirAg » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:52 pm

I am happy with my boat as it is. However, if I had the cash, I would like to buy a 13 or 14 x 8 panther or alumitech hull and build everything. 540, 520, SBC 383, or one of thunders 4.3 V-6 engines with a reduction. 3 blade sensenich Q-series. As of now though, my little 150 hp GPU with a 68" whirlwind takes me anywhere I need to go on my palm beach hull.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:14 pm

I think Robicheaux got 2 votes :)
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

marshmaster pat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby marshmaster pat » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:37 am

Sort of have two ideas, a riveted 12 foot palm beach 3/4 deck with a angle 540 is a blast for playing and manuvering.

But due to my clan numbering five, will need increased payload capacity very soon.

So either a Alumitech (or airgator style "C") or Robicheaux from Mark's; 14 X 7.5 with a 383 or a Thunder style LS1 motor, especially since this is a dream.

Polymer up the sides and white polymer on the bottom. Intercomm systems with plug in headsets for up to 5 people and wouldn't mind trying out someone's foot steering and maybe going with that.

Whitebear - Greetings and welcome - nice to meet another doddlebugger.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby cowboy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:41 am

Current boat:
1972 12" Simpson Palm Beach full deck
Tired 200 4cyl
Sensenich wood stick
Large cross-section single riveted airfoil rudder, hand stick controlled.

Near future:
1972 12" Simpson Palm Beach full deck.
Re-built 200 4 cyl with one battery ignition, and one magneto, hung on re-production engine stand
Sensenich slightly bigger stick
New reproduction cage and seat stand, footsteer directional control.
New self-constructed repro of original riveted airfoil rudder, w/ top attached tele-flex.
Re-production of half barrel instrument panel, left of operator seat.

Long Range:
2009 Self constructed 13' Palm Beach fulldeck hull, with tube rake.
May or may not have polymer.

8 cyl Liquid cooled deltahawk industrial 2-stroke diesel engine, high mount radiators, aft of propeller centerline "or cooling ducted therefrom", and complete engine monitoring instrumentation.
Latest Quiet Composite Propeller Technology.
Traditional cage, with front driver footsteer, single rear passenger, quick detachable low rise forward jump seat.
Wide cross-section, self constructed single riveted airfoil rudder, w/ top attached tele-flex.

Winning lotto ticket facillitating parking this adjacent to 1972 12' Simpson configured as described above.http://www.deltahawkengines.com/
Last edited by cowboy on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAFARI RICK
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby SAFARI RICK » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:09 am

I bought a D.D. 12 ft panther with a sb350 and gutted it.Only thing I used was the hull and motor block. Now have 12ft panther with a build (somewhere around 450/500 hp) with a 2.37 to 1 rotator with a 6 blade warp drive.Changed everything to high performance allumimun I.E. heads,intake,oil pan,pulleys,long water pump even the termostate houseing, put on a deul oil filter kit with a oil cooler (8 quarts of oil) and the best part about it is that I'm takeing it to the river for the first time in about 2 hrs.(10 am sunday) hope to be posting about how perfect everything ran later today (WE ALL KNOW HOW THATS GOING TO BE)

Red Dwarf

Postby Red Dwarf » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:43 am

Buicks are the cream of the 455 crop, IMHO. I knew a road service guy that always built strange service trucks (1 ton 2wd IHC Scout, 1 ton S10 with a Diamond-T body, Isuzu cab-over) and he always put a Buick engine in them, either a 430 or a 455. He said they had the torque and were built to last.

Now, my own "dream boat":

Hammant 14' hull, stainless rigging (you thought I was going to say EMT didn't you?) with a PANCAKE cage, 5' rudders, double seats with rear driver, 665 cid Ken Duttweiler motor, 1.7:1 Precision Gear Drive, and a 4 blade POWERSHIFT (guess I'll have to get an old one) or Sensenich (they need to hurry up and make a right hand rotation Q-series, but I'd take the regular wide blade)

Oh yeah, and a 60 gallon tank LOL

big feather

Postby big feather » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:16 am

Cowboy, that 'near future' boat sounds pretty cool to me. :)

Safari Rick, good luck! That boat sounds awesome!

BF

PatoLoco
Southern Airboat Member

Postby PatoLoco » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:46 am

I run a 16' x 7 1/2' Mark Robicheaux hull with a 450hp 502cu, 2/1 belt, all ss rigging, 1/4" polymer and an 80" 3 blade powerplus. No question, it is a heavy boat compaired to a lot of them and only averages around 2 1/2mi. to the gallon. I do agree with Whitebear, for my needs Mark Robicheaux is my first choice. He is great to work with and builds a first class boat from top to bottom. In my opinion I have not seen better workmanship or tougher hulls. My boat is used for personal duck hunting in the Galveston Bay area and south down the Texas coast. My boat sees an all saltwater enviroment. I average 30mi an outing, a good portion of this is skirting the intercostal canal and winds can make it brutal even next to the shoreline.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Robicheaux Boat

Postby Whitebear » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:37 pm

Any chance of you posting a bunch of pics of your Robicheaux. Im sure a lot fo folks would love to see what it is were talking about. Maybe even a couple of it ON the trainer as well as in the water. Anything that shows the good features off.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

jim
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jim » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:07 pm

Whitebear,

Mark Robicheaux, and his boats are pretty well covered at:

http://www.marksairboats.com

jim

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Mark has always had a nice site, I was just thinking about seeing or showing an individual's duck hunting boat vs the normal sport boat ya see every day on the marsh. Most of us are pretty proud of what we run. Of course that is as it should be. :)

Scotty

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:53 pm

Goe’s to show ya were in Florida and most everybody wants a boat from Louisiana. I personally like Hulls in the 12 to 13 ft range. Don't like them smaller I'm to fat and I don't like them any bigger because they wouldn’t fit where I run.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:09 pm

Theres some fine boats made right there in Florida. Specially Doug Hammant's but there are other decent ones as well. I especially like the ones with a prop and rudders and a control stick. I think the worst airboat I have ever seen would still have been more fun than walking ! 12-13' is about right for what I like to do as well, though 16' is a handfull in places, it does offer room for company.

Scotty

big feather

Postby big feather » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:48 pm

Thunder, I don't think anybody is throwin' off on the Florida builders. Like you've said before, nobody's needs are the same.

I love the look of a deckover, and if I lived down where you do I'd have one in a heartbeat. But up here, and in coastal ares of Louisiana and Texas a deckover or a light short conventional style hull is just all the wrong kind of boat for the conditions.

Up here I've seen rollers in the St. Johns River well over two feet (it's four miles wide not far here), and there are old oyster beds and submerged pilings everywhere. The boats just have to built different.

BF

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby dblj006 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:31 pm

I'm with Whitebear...
A wise man I know used to say,
"Last class ridin' is better than
first class walkin any time"

marshmaster pat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby marshmaster pat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:56 pm

006 - I know a person down the coast that says "If I can drive my airboat there, I ani't taking 10 steps walking anymore". And after walking through the marsh the last two days from duck hunts, that makes since to me. :lol:

Return to “Airboat Talk”