Epic Airboat memorial run Brazos river to Gulf of Mexico.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Epic Airboat memorial run Brazos river to Gulf of Mexico.

Post by Brotherbob » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:44 am

Thats right gents I'm gonna try it if Momma and the Boss will let me off work long enough and I can get a bit of support from local Airboaters along the way.
I know it sounds crazee but it has been done before ! In 1979 My Uncle and some buddies DID IT and it will be the 30 year anniversary of the event soon . 11 August to be exact. Granbury dam to Freeport.
There are a couple of problems off the bat , Whitney dam and Waco dam where I'll need a trailer to get me around those.
I figure pick up fuel at the same time the boat is out of the water. I can hold 80 gallons on board now so distance dont scare me much but the Hildago falls sound like a wild ride !
Anyhow in a effort to get fellow airboaters along the Brazos river togther and honor my Uncle James' epic adventure , I'm game !
What do you guys think? 550 miles or so in 5-7 days, if I dont sink it!
Brotherbob

Date is set 11 August , 30 years to the day he and his buddies started . They only had Jon boats with Corvair engines and plywood rudders but they did it so can I.
More to come.
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Epic Airboat memorial run Brazos river to Gulf of Mexico.

Post by rost495 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:47 am

You are connected to BRAB group right, they would provide support I"m sure.

Im in LaGrange as you can see, but where the Brazos crosses I10 isn't all that far away so if you'd need fuel there anywhere close up or down, I can bring gas cans..... IF I'm in town.

Jeff

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:48 am

Went and spoke with Uncle James last nite and collected more airboat stuff . He offered some sage advice when I told him I wanted to make that run again . He said " those whitney boys theys good people " and they'll help were they can but around Waco you wont find much help . So it it was me I would put in below Waco and go from there .
Apparantly you can't legally cross OVER a dam any more , my guess is homeland security issues ? So I might modify the trip a bit to begin at Waco and to Freeport .
He was smiling like a possum when I told him we were gonna give it a go 30 years to the day he did it !
More to come , stay tuned , now back to your reguarly scheduled programming.
BB
SHO-NUF!

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:51 am

rost495 wrote:You are connected to BRAB group right, they would provide support I"m sure.

Im in LaGrange as you can see, but where the Brazos crosses I10 isn't all that far away so if you'd need fuel there anywhere close up or down, I can bring gas cans..... IF I'm in town.

Jeff
Nope I'm not a member of any particular group , we are trying to establish a Texas airboating assoc. but not much is happenin' Who what when and where is the BRAB ? I'm kinda new to Airboating but when I get my teeth into something I go for it ! So look out folks Brazos river to the Gulf is gonna happen . Thanks for the info Rost495!
SHO-NUF!

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:00 am

I used to live in ft worth so i think itd be pretty cool to go on that run... but man thats a long way! If it does happen take LOTS of pictures! That'll be a story of a lifetime. "One time kids my great grampa rode his airboat from north texas to the gulf of mexico..." "whats an airboat?" "well back in the ancient times people still had to float on water kids" LOL
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:38 am

No two ways about it , ITS GONNA HAPPEN !
I'm trying to grab a laptop to take with us so we can update from the river every nite !
That story is what made me wanna get an airboat and make this run. My Uncle is in poor health and only one of his buddies from the crew , "Red' is still alive . I thought it might bring a smile to their face and help bring some attention to some river airboating pioneers. They are Heros to me and helped train me to drive an airboat as well as showing me how to act respectable on the river.
More to come, stay tuned.
Last edited by Brotherbob on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHO-NUF!

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:30 pm

I hear ya BB... those guys where from a different generation that was tough as nails & respect for others property & nature were core values that defined who they were. They probably never met a stranger, lent a willing hand & hated cruelity in all forms. :wink:

I'm sure that we can generate a little a support along the way, but the word has got to get out in the Texas airboat community. :mrgreen:

I wish I could affoard the fuel because I would definately be going. This is the kind of trip that comes along once in a lifetime & I would love to be able to say that I did it. I would like to run a section of the Brazos with you... if nothin' else. :bounce:
:texas:

shiggs
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by shiggs » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:28 pm

BrotherBob--COUNT ME IN FOR SOME HELP!!!! :D

Sounds like a great adventure--your uncle was the Huck Finn of airboaters! I wish I could get off and make the trip with you--sounds like great fun and what an adventure, especially since it has some meaning with some history behind it.

I can bring you some supplies(gas--food--whatever) where the brazos nears Rosharon--It is about an hour from where I live now and I can give you my # and you can call when you think you will be nearing that area--I think the Brazos Bend Sate park is near there--might be a good place to meet or FM 1462 crosses the brazos--I always travel that road when I am headed back to Rockne.

Steve

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:31 pm

shiggs wrote:BrotherBob--COUNT ME IN FOR SOME HELP!!!! :D

Sounds like a great adventure--your uncle was the Huck Finn of airboaters! I wish I could get off and make the trip with you--sounds like great fun and what an adventure, especially since it has some meaning with some history behind it.

I can bring you some supplies(gas--food--whatever) where the brazos nears Rosharon--It is about an hour from where I live now and I can give you my # and you can call when you think you will be nearing that area--I think the Brazos Bend Sate park is near there--might be a good place to meet or FM 1462 crosses the brazos--I always travel that road when I am headed back to Rockne.

Steve
Thank YOU SIR ! Yes PM me your number and I'll send you my cell number too. below Whitney dam sounds like a starting point...
I have a friend thats gonna get me around Waco dam and then we will be on our own , so I'll def take you up on a gas run ! Do you have a truck / trailer that we could use to get the whole rig to the gas station ? if not a 80 gallons in the boat is a bunch of fuel cans.
THANKS A MILLION , I'll fill your tank for your help. :bounce:
BB
SHO-NUF!

shiggs
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by shiggs » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Yep--I got a truck and a trailer.

I will dump my boat off the trailer and we can use it to get you to the gas station and back to the river. :D

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:40 am

OUTSTANDING!!! :bounce:

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:56 am

Now thats Airboaters helpin' Airboaters ! THANKS guys , I'm keepin a log and plan on documenting the whole deal start to finish.
BB
AWESOME bunch of folks at Southern Airboat , Thanks again .
SHO-NUF!

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:12 am

It looks like you "plan" is commin' together BB :mrgreen:

AirPat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AirPat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:20 am

I live about 5 minutes from the Brazos river and 59 where it crosses in Richmond. Anything you need let me know. There is not a ramp there but Gas or supplies no problem. I also keep a ski boat on the San Bernard which is about a 30 min ride down the river and intercoastal to the brazos. Good luck.

Moritz
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Moritz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:21 pm

I live in Lake Jackson near Freeport. I can help from west Columbia South. 979 415 4875

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:02 pm

Ok after much hand wringing around here , we decided to put in just south of Waco to avoid the dams and low water levees . We are a GO for the 10th of August for launch ! Thanks to al the folks who are volunteering to help . Our current plan is 4 fuel stops , drop in at Waco with a full fuel load of 80 gallons and 10-15 gallons reserve. I'll post the approx stop / camp/ fuel spots as soon as I can figure them out.
THANKS SOUTHERN AIRBOAT FOR GIVING ME A VOICE TO DO THIS! :bounce:
Amen,
BB
SHO-NUF!

triflin
Southern Airboat Member

Post by triflin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:04 pm

ok this is the first time i have heard of this run and i run the brazos down here in brenham on my airboat and have u checked out if u will be able to run the whole brazos?? up river from the bridge on hwy 105 and there is a section we call the rock falls!!!! and about 3 weeks ago we were down there and we couldnt get past that section of the river!!!! just trying to help!!!! let me know if u need anymore info!!!!!
Benton
2007 Anahuac Open Class Big 10 Champion
2008 Anahuac Open Class Big 10 Champion

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Good intel is always worth it ! Thanks Triffin- did you give it a go or just look at it and say "nah " :?
What kinda boat do you run ?
Was it passable with some work or are ya gonna tear the snot out of it across the rocks ?
I know I can get over small levees and rocks in my area but I have not tried any extreme rock climbing in the boat out of the water !! :D
Our hope is with all the 100+ degree days around here is , that they will start generating water out of PK and Whitney dams to produce electricity !!!!! Everyone in Texas turn down your AC so we can get some water in the river !!!!
Hold on to your ass Keith , its gonna be a bumpy ride !
SHO-NUF!

triflin
Southern Airboat Member

Post by triflin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:40 pm

ummmm depends on how ruff u want to be to ur boat??? we ran down a couple of little what i call "little one foot rapids/drop offs" nothing major so to say!!! but i think farther down is a bigger drop off!!! but not a 100% sure!!!! not sure on how much yall are willing to do to get past this section??? back in the early 1900s use to be a lock system there for big ships to come up the brazos and i think that might get yall!!! but like i said before not completely sure on the drop off area!!!!! my buddy just pushed some dirt off into the river and made a semi-boat ramp and it is like 2 miles from there!!! oh and i have a 2009 18x8'6" silver dollar with a 540 on it!!!!! let me know if i can do anything else!!!!

Benton AKA "Triflin"

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks for y'all's input... looks like BB is gettin' some help :bounce:

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:05 pm

triflin wrote:ummmm depends on how ruff u want to be to ur boat??? we ran down a couple of little what i call "little one foot rapids/drop offs" nothing major so to say!!! but i think farther down is a bigger drop off!!! but not a 100% sure!!!! not sure on how much yall are willing to do to get past this section??? back in the early 1900s use to be a lock system there for big ships to come up the brazos and i think that might get yall!!! but like i said before not completely sure on the drop off area!!!!! my buddy just pushed some dirt off into the river and made a semi-boat ramp and it is like 2 miles from there!!! oh and i have a 2009 18x8'6" silver dollar with a 540 on it!!!!! let me know if i can do anything else!!!!

Benton AKA "Triflin"
Okay now thats some good info , Uncle James warned me that there was 2 levee / drop offs around there. They made it over them in 79 and I'm up for giving it a go !
Silver dollar with a 540 aint no slouch so you have plenty of power . :shock:
I didn't know if you were runnin' a underpowered boat is why I asked , you sure aint underpowered !!!
I'm pretty froggy when it comes to that kinda stuff , but BIG ROCKS and BIG WAVES concern me . I may run her up on the bank to go around . I'll carry some PVC too.
Thanks again Triflin , good stuff and nice rig bubba. 8)
Update - carb is off for a rebuild , new front seat , new front floor , new light bar , new overhead sun shade.
Gotta a ground problem to my front lights I gotta figure out.
More to come ,stay tuned.
SHO-NUF!

triflin
Southern Airboat Member

Post by triflin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Brotherbob wrote:
triflin wrote:ummmm depends on how ruff u want to be to ur boat??? we ran down a couple of little what i call "little one foot rapids/drop offs" nothing major so to say!!! but i think farther down is a bigger drop off!!! but not a 100% sure!!!! not sure on how much yall are willing to do to get past this section??? back in the early 1900s use to be a lock system there for big ships to come up the brazos and i think that might get yall!!! but like i said before not completely sure on the drop off area!!!!! my buddy just pushed some dirt off into the river and made a semi-boat ramp and it is like 2 miles from there!!! oh and i have a 2009 18x8'6" silver dollar with a 540 on it!!!!! let me know if i can do anything else!!!!

Benton AKA "Triflin"
Okay now thats some good info , Uncle James warned me that there was 2 levee / drop offs around there. They made it over them in 79 and I'm up for giving it a go !
I didn't know if you were runnin' a underpowered boat is why I asked , you sure aint underpowered !!!
I'm pretty froggy when it comes to that kinda stuff , but BIG ROCKS and BIG WAVES concern me . I may run her up on the bank to go around . I'll carry some PVC too.
Update - carb is off for a rebuild , new front seat , new front floor , new light bar , new overhead sun shade.
hahahahha no underpowered is not my problem!!! hahahahah let me see if i can get back down that way and take some pics of all of this and maybe that would help!!!! we have ran the brazos up there around waco and we have went up those lil rock falls and those CHUNKS of concrete in the river and boy does the bottom of my boat show it but the only thing i would be worried here would be a huge waterfall or drop offs!!!! what kind of boat are you running???

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:10 pm

triflin wrote:
Brotherbob wrote:

Benton AKA "Triflin"
hahahahha no underpowered is not my problem!!! hahahahah let me see if i can get back down that way and take some pics of all of this and maybe that would help!!!! we have ran the brazos up there around waco and we have went up those lil rock falls and those CHUNKS of concrete in the river and boy does the bottom of my boat show it but the only thing i would be worried here would be a huge waterfall or drop offs!!!! what kind of boat are you running???
I run a 15 foot x 8 foot American airboat Air Ranger , 355 HP SBC , 2,88 stinger drive, 3 bladed WW prop. Its got a lil' snap to it and is fairly lite, its a river boat and already has some war wounds.
It would really cool if you run that area to let me know and se whats up.....er..down!
BB :blackeye:
SHO-NUF!

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:15 pm

sounds to me like the challenge will be how to keep the beverages cool....better get a good cooler before you leave :mrgreen: Sounds like a fun trip,wish i could make it.
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:06 pm

Rich Andrews wrote:sounds to me like the challenge will be how to keep the beverages cool....better get a good cooler before you leave :mrgreen: Sounds like a fun trip,wish i could make it.
With all the redneck engineerin' BB has done the last few weeks I wonder if he's installed an ice maker :lol:

Return to “Airboat Talk”