GATOR MOUNT POLL

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.

VOTE FOR THE BEST GATOR MOUNT AS SEEN ON PAGES 20-22 OF MARSH RIDER MAGAZINE

Poll ended at Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:12 pm

4%
No votes
4%
30%
9%
4%
No votes
No votes
43%
4%

Total votes: 23

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

GATOR MOUNT POLL

Post by MarshRider » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:44 pm

The poll is now open and we want you to vote for your favorite Gator Mount
as seen on pages 20 - 22 of Marsh Rider magazine.

results will be in the next Marsh Rider magazine
FAA Corporate Member
TexasAirboatAssociation 099
NebraskaAirboatAssociation Life Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!
http://www.marshridermagazine.com

bwright
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: GATOR MOUNT POLL

Post by bwright » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:09 pm

:D I would personally like to thank Marsh Rider Magazine. & Southernairboat for providing an awesome opportunity that is fair and everyone will be able to see how fair it is.

:wink: This is awesome because you can only vote once and you must be registered. Of course after you vote you'll see how many votes were cast for each number.
Palm Beach open hull, full grass rake, conduit rigging, up stack I0540, swinging A Q series 72', single rudder / old school

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Winston Churchill.

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:00 pm

It is a pleasure to participate in this forum for the first time. It was nice to be able to vote for the candidate gator mount without having to listen to talking heads of network news.
Marshrider is a great resource - hopefully through this valuable publication we can educate everyone in the State as to the importance of the survival of our Gladesmen Culture. Our Culture's survival will hinge I believe on many of us participating when called upon to do so by those like myself and others involved day to day in the ground war to protect our hunting, fishing, ORV access rights to our resources. Correct I said our rights because I don't fall for that "privelege" concept subliminally printed on Florida hunting and fishing licenses. Agencies may make the rules and I agree with that but my belief is that my citizenship provides my "right" to access the resources for cultural practices such as hunting, Airboating, Buggying, hunting, fishing etc. etc.
I probably should have posted this in a different section more people might read. If anyone has any advise I'm open to receiving it. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Welcome to Southern Airboat Galdesman ! Glad you found us and decided to participate. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Tell us about the Galdesman culture.

Many of us come from other parts of our great nation so though we are avid outdoors-men and women we may not know exactly what a Gladesman is. Obviously they live in the Glades but to be a culture, however, there is more than just an address. Love hearing about it myself. I could expound on the virtues of ridge runners and hillbillies for hours but I'd rather hear about Gladesfolk.

Welcome aboard

Scotty :thumbright:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

bwright
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bwright » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:46 pm

:!: Whitebear be careful for what you asked for and whatever you do don't let this character get you on the phone.

:wink: Gladesmen glad to see you on southernairboat and even more glad to see an old dog learned new tricks welcome to the Internet
Palm Beach open hull, full grass rake, conduit rigging, up stack I0540, swinging A Q series 72', single rudder / old school

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Winston Churchill.

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:13 am

Whitebear you will regret asking me to pull up a stump and talk.Let me introduce myself-the name is Frank. I have been participating for over 10 years now practically full time, ever since National Park Service did the deed on me and all Gladesmen in South Florida in the Big Cypress back in 2000 with their stinking ORV Plan.. At that time we didn't know squat about our own culture since we've always spent our lives and enjoying the wonders of the Everglades while the eco-mafia was slowly stealing all that I or we (where this shoe if it fits) cherished but TOOK FOR GRANTED.
In 2000 I'd already been attending Scenic Highway meetings about Tamiami Trail for about 4 years on behalf of myself, Airboat Assoc. of Fl and the Everglades Coordinating Council. After the NPS pulled their stunt on ORV's in Big Cypress I made a lifetime commitment to try to undo their wrong and a few others. I began to connect the dots and saw how EVERYTHING is tied together. This includes all state and federal agencies whether you believe it or not. The elected officials are sort of left out since they don't have much authority over land mg't. anymore except to rubber stamp what their green bureaucratic environmental staffs advise them to do. Why do they do it you ask? Mainly because Gladesmen and others don't take the time to become informed OR go to the meetings (e.g.FWC, County Commission City Council etc.) ON A REGULAR BASIS to tell them the truth.. We did it for the first time though on the scenic highway program on Tamiami Trail. That is how any of us can develop the relationship of trust and respect with elected officials that when in place can win any fight we pick. One example of this is how myself and a few others convinced the 9 elected officials of the Metropolitan Planning Organization of Collier County Fl. to demand that FDOT facilitate the removal of the State and Federal Scenic Highway Designations from a 51 mile segment of the highway. It took 2 years and we wound up having to do it 2 times instead of once due to a legal meeting rule broken on the first go round. We succeeded because we were informed and did NOT give up even when it was tempting. When we proved that this seemingly harmless program had tricked them the elected officials into giving their authority away over this 50 mile portion of the road the designation's fate was sealed=DEAD.
Three or four years into this odysee I asked myself why I was doing it since the people benefitting didn't seem to care enough to attend meetings when I asked them to go? That is very frustrating when you know you can win improvements in our Culture with a few bodies that will follow a few instructions at a meeting. Something was holding me in this fight and I couldn't figure it out.
After being interviewed by a anthropoligist hired to do a second study by the USACE to redo the first flawed cultural study regarding the AAOF I complained about in comments regarding an Everglades Project, I learned the reason I stayed in the fight. Half way through a 3 hour cultural survey interview she stopped the tape recorder. Jeannifer explained to me that she had found out much more than she expected to from me and others she had interviewed. She said she would report that we were actually a culture and that the whole Everglades needs to be studied as a Traditional Cultural Property related to our culture from the Kissimmee all the way to the Everglades. Then she sent me some books on culture to study. That I did. Then I studied the National Historic Preservation Act as amended 2000 and combined that with a lot of coaching from a historic professional I got to know on the Scenic Highway program along with good advise from believe it or not NPS officials. They are not all eco nuts. I felt we needed a name quickly for the culture since it seems like they all have one. After scribbling 3 legal sheets full of catchie sounding names I realized there was only one choice "Gladesmen" Culture in honor of a book of the same name authored by Glenn Simmons an iconic Gladesmen still living in Homestead Fl. at around 90+ years of age. Get the book and read the life of a true Gladesman, he fills it to a tee. So now we've got a name. What's next?
Next I did some more complaining comments to the USACE on their Master Recreation Plan related to CERP. I charged them with failing to comply with the Nat Hist Prsvtn Act etc. down to sections and parantheticals. I coordinated others to do similar comments and thanks be to them Barbara Powell at ECC, Eric Kimmel and others it worked. More than a year after that the Corp called me in reference to my comments, then told me that they triggered the USACE to do the study you may have heard of recently. It's not complete yet but I personally believe it will go down in history as one of the greatest achievments South Florida hunting advocates have ever accomplished. This study will be able to be used by everyone to call any government agency to task if they do not study the impact upon our Gladesmen culture of any project they undertake in the very embrionic initial stages. It is federal law that they do this if 1 (one) federal dollar is in the project they're undertaking. If they don't we can sue and guess what : if we prevail the Feds must reimburse our litigation costs. You see the historic law works just like the Endangered Soecies Act. That is ironic since we are an endangered Culture probably more so than the Panther.
Got to go for now. Catch y'all another time but in the mean time think about personal vocabulary revisions. Example hunting, fishing, frogging etc. are now TRADITIONAL CULTURAL ACTIVITIES. Airboats, Buggies, Rhinos,ATV's when used during traditional activities are CULTURAL TOOLS. Who am I - I am a Gladesman and a member of the Gladesman Cultural Community. This is our culture, and our BRAND sort of like IBM but better and we need to yell it from the rooftops at every opportunity (e.g. FWC, NPS,County Commission, City Council meeting etc.) I'm sure they will appreciate our new vocabulary LOL. I actually find agencies gravitating to us more as a cultural entity than independent hunters. The cultural banner is extremely broad and will draw a lot of new support from many quarters including funding sources. Good Night.

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by MarshRider » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:31 am

bump
FAA Corporate Member
TexasAirboatAssociation 099
NebraskaAirboatAssociation Life Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!
http://www.marshridermagazine.com

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Here's the scanned pages from the magazine.
Sorry it took me so long to get them scanned and re-sized!
It was a little difficult because the quality of the printing was so good made HUGE scans!

But this oughtta help with the votes.

(Images below)

Return to “Airboat Talk”