Lake Winder the dike is gone.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Ted

Lake Winder the dike is gone.

Post by Ted »

Lake Winder the dike is gone. The old Duda dike.
I took the bay boat out this week end to show the place to another duck hunter and I did not see the dike! They left part of it along the canal toward 95 but as far as I could see south there was not a dike. What I did see looked dangerous for airboats. It appeared like there were two canals running south with scattered fence post between. I looked like enough debris that I would not take the bay boat down it. I am glad I did not when I got back into the river the motor started acting up some thing is up with fuel delivery system. By the time I made it to Lake Poinsett she would idle with the choke held in with ¾ throttle.
So not a bad day made it back to lone cabbage screwed up boat torn canvas on the tee top but being on the river was great.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Lake Winder the dike is gone.

Post by mojoe »

Is it still under construction or are they done? Last time I was there (about 3 weeks), there were construction/no trespass signs. The north south dike from winder was filled in coming off the east west dike, but if you went to winder in an airboat you could still get to the dike by the lookout. I heard filling in the dikes is suposed to help the overall health of the marsh. More water flowing in the marsh instead of just in the dikes and river for half the year. We'll se, just as long as those no trespass signs disapear relatively quick.
Mark 7:9

Ted

Post by Ted »

So they filled in the canal? Or did they just haul out the dirt?
I didnt see any equipmet out there but i did see a sign saying parking area? Tis was at the north west end of the old veg farm dyke.
My air boat being under costruction is KILLING ME. now both boats are down AHHHHHH.

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Qwikdiesel »

Mud Lake dike is gone!!!! Not sure what they did with the dirt. Probably going to use it for some huge parking lot for all the Bird watchers to come park and bit@ch about the airboats! I'd love to know who was behind that crap!! I hate how the state pull's this crap on us!! Talahassee must have some awful big desks to fit all those desk diving tree huggin corrupt Mo-Fo's under there!! I hope a hurricane floods all of viera west, and washes everyone of them to sea!!!
Rule #1.. There Not Fake If You Can Touch Them!!

Capt Jeff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Capt Jeff »

You can blame Leroy Wright & his group for bringing down the dike.

He found funding for his little pet project & sold them a bill of goods.

Leroy believes bass & other fish are going to go up into the area & breed.

DU & UWF fought hard & lost the fight.

@ least the district held several special mtg's to hear our side prior to making a final decision.

The equipment came in right after duck season ended.

The dirt was pushed into the canal (except for 1800 ft on the south end.

Some was used to backfill the main T-canals.

They claims it will help the 700 acres between Moc & Winder from drying up.

RIGHT!!!

Moc will continue to be walk-in only access year round due to being one of the last natural habitats (plant life) left in the upper basin.

No more flats/bass/pontoon boats driving up the T-canal to hunt.

They've promised to treat the ditch from the NW corner to allow greater access with paddle boats.

Any other ?'s, contact Doug Voltolina @ the district.
What if Bigfoot is really out of focus in real life?

http://www.coastalsportsmen.com
Dave's Airparts Inc.

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Qwikdiesel »

Capt Jeff wrote:You can blame Leroy Wright & his group for bringing down the dike.

He found funding for his little pet project & sold them a bill of goods.

Leroy believes bass & other fish are going to go up into the area & breed.

DU & UWF fought hard & lost the fight.

@ least the district held several special mtg's to hear our side prior to making a final decision.

The equipment came in right after duck season ended.

The dirt was pushed into the canal (except for 1800 ft on the south end.

Some was used to backfill the main T-canals.

They claims it will help the 700 acres between Moc & Winder from drying up.

RIGHT!!!

Moc will continue to be walk-in only access year round due to being one of the last natural habitats (plant life) left in the upper basin.

No more flats/bass/pontoon boats driving up the T-canal to hunt.

They've promised to treat the ditch from the NW corner to allow greater access with paddle boats.

Any other ?'s, contact Doug Voltolina @ the district.

Un F-en believable!!!! To bad the Track-Hoe didn't bury everyone of those idiots in the canal with the dirt!!!

I wonder WTF will be the next thing they take away or screw up? First it was letting freakin bicycles,horses, and the tree hugging rainbows come prouncing through the area around the Oak Head (FOR FREE!!!!!), but yet we had to pay to hunt there?! How the F does that work!! Well, that's gone now, and now it's a Nature Trail, with stupid Red dot's all over the trees, so the Dumb A$$es don't get lost. Now they've tore down a Dike that housed some very nice deer, only to flood it and push them further up into Duda's property for all those Deutch Bag's to kill! All of this to keep Winder from drying up, and for Bass to spawn? Are you kidding me!!! That took a real brilliant Window Licker to come up with that idea! I hope this genius reads this, and to be honest he, or they can go _ _ _ _ yourselves, you tax money wasting pillow bitters :evil: :evil: !!!

Thanks for the shoot straight info Jeff! :wink:

Capt Jeff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Capt Jeff »

You don't have to worry about more of Moc flooding.

They graded the dike to (13) thirteen feet (our DU's request) which will flood no more area than previosuly.

Even with TS Fay last year & the dike up, the grade & contour to the property keeps it relatively dry.

Dave's Airparts Inc.

Capt Jeff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Capt Jeff »

If any of you want to know more about the wonderful Leroy Wright, you can read his book:

"Saving the St Johns River, One Person Made a Difference."

It's actually a great history of the Upper Basin as long as you can stand the self perpetuating drival of Leroy telling you in each chapter just how wonderful he is.

Here's an example:

This book presents the writer's commitment as a "citizen volunteer" to restore the pollution plagued St. Johns River. I address the early 1900s when man attempted to drain the river's headwaters. The pattern continued into the 1980s with construction of dikes and pump stations throughout the river's first 70 plus miles. In 1985, I founded SAVE St. Johns River, Inc. Our support base includes 3,000 citizens. My work helped secure federal designation of the St. Johns River as an American Heritage River. Another accomplishment included the state purchase of 14 miles of the river's shoreline.

A new county recreation facility bears this writer's name.

These events, plus others of equal significance are included in the book, supported by 25 photos. Read the full story of this volunteer in action. Most chapters conclude with my sometimes humorous fishing experiences. In writing this book, much of my research material was retrieved from my own personal files I accumulated in my volunteer work over the past 20 plus years. Within the pages of the book, I have included the more significant issues this writer pursued since the mid 1980s.

I address the successful conclusions on numerous issues, as well as those issues that continue to present a challenge. I write about some disappointments; not failures. In fact, failure is not a word in this writer's vocabulary. It's simply a delay, pending resolution. The book addresses two complex issues and their effect on the St. Johns River. I present those issues in a way an average person can understand.

The book is comprised of 10 chapters, and include this writer's actions: Proposed Sabal Hammocks Project -a great project, wrong location; Restoring LakesHell N' Blazes and Sawgrass, a challenge to restore the first two lakes on the St. Johns River; the $200 million dollar plus Upper Basin Restoration Project, a great project; Restoring the Ocklawaha River (removing Rodman Dam), supported by this writer; Transformation of Duda Ranch -New City of Viera, the Viera Company avoided a legal challenge by SAVE St. Johns River, Inc. after the company agreed to sell 14 miles of riverfront to the state of Florida; The American Heritage River Initiative, a highly competitive federal designation of 14 rivers across the United States. Of 126 rivers nominated,

I worked to secure this designation throughout the first 150 miles of the river. One chapter addresses sovereignty lands; another chapter addresses a court decision regarding Sabal Hammocks. The final chapter of the book, Fruits of My Labor, document this writer's work, supported by Brevard County Government, St. Johns River Water Management District, Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, Keep Brevard Beautiful, and conservation groups.

My love of fishing beckoned a 9-year old boy to "quiet waters" many years ago. My Dad, a gentle man, often took me fishing. In December 1958, after serving 8 years in the U.S. Air Force, I went fishing on the St. Johns River in Brevard County, Florida. I caught a 7-pound bass. I became a part of this magnificent river. In January 1989, at age 56, I retired as Chief, Design Engineering & Support with the Martin-Marietta Corporation at Cape Canaveral. I have visited the glaciers in Alaska, Ole Faithful in Yellowstone Park, Grand Canyon, and more. However, the St. Johns River's "quite waters" remain my favorite destination.

From a former fishing guide to conservationist, I am committed to restoring this magnificent river for future generations. The reader will discover my personal journey and I think will agree: one person made a difference.

Even though overall he's done some great things for the Upper Basin, from expirience in dealing with him & his so called group, I don't trust him as far as I can throw the old, wrinkly worn out bass-turd!!! :lol:

And it isn't anything I haven't told him to his face!!! :D

Dave's Airparts Inc.

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Qwikdiesel »

Well, that's atleast some good news.

I wonder why they didn't knock down there precious Bird Observatory Pavilion in the process of tearing down the dike. :roll: Won't be long they'll have a paved road right to it, for all to come, and then complain about how noisy Airboats are, and how were impeading on there Bird Watching. We all know what happens after that. It's already happening elsewhere. Enjoy it while you still can, b/c once that first house is built in Viera West, you can kiss riding the East side of the St, Johns, and possibly even after dusk for that matter good bye!

Funny, how the quote " Quiet Waters" kept arrising!! :roll: Can't even spell Quiet :lol:

I consider a dike, a barrier. When they start tearing down barriers, it makes it alot easier for the enemy to intrude!! And that's exactly WTF is going on!!

Save the St Johns my Ars, more like Grave the St Johns with polical innuendos, and wasteful spending. Instead of tearing down dikes and closing land my family has hunted on for generations, only to give it's access to some jackholes for free, why not do something that would help, like, keep all the dam@ racnchers from pumping millions of gallons of fertilizer infested water into the river!!! Bass don't spawn to well during algea blooms, or in fertilizer LEROY and Puppet's, DUH!!!!

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

they are getting ready to build a board walk up the moore haven canal....more great news!
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Capt Jeff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Capt Jeff »

The thing with Leroy & his groups is he goes around & signs up all these conservation org's, not-for-profits & even cities & places their names on the Save the St Johns letterhead.

In all actuality, he doesn't want any input, just a bunch of names to further "HIS" own agendas.

Again, he's done some great things for the Upper Basin, but only if "HE" agreed with it.

Like I said, his book is one of the most acurate histories of the Upper Basin, as long as you can get past the gramatical errors, run on sentences, spelling or just how wonderful Leroy thinks he is.

Dave's Airparts Inc.

Return to “Airboat Talk”