Masters of Snook

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
CaneFan
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Masters of Snook

Post by CaneFan »

Rick,
I was talking with a young man at our local tackle shop, aptly named "The Snook Nook", and he said the same thing. He said he'd caught some war daddys last week that were scoopin' mullet heads off the bottom out on the flats at night.
"You've gotta be tuff if your gonna be stupid."-Cowboy
"A lazy man will work himself to death."-Grandpa Symons

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy »

radar wrote:they love crokers the biger the croker the biger the snook . they eat pins because pin eat snook eggs .if you want the secret it is like just like hunting put in the time read about them know there habits . mark your calender spring rain they go up to c54 dam to spawn some stay in the river most big ones go out in ocean. when the fingerling mullet go out the inlets the snook move up too the surf . most of the yearling snook find a dock or shady spot. up to water temp to determan if they move ,time is the key put the time in and you can be a master . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :alien:
i was gonna give up that secret the biggest snook ive caugt have allways been on trout heads at night , trout fish in the day and snook at night when they went to a slot i kind of lost interest it sucks to catch a huge one and not be able to keep it, matter of fact look in the classiefieds im gonna sell my little center console boat :(

Darryl
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Darryl »

Great post Cowboy.
Hey Rick, just got my permits today for the new dock and boat lift. When I get it finished we are going fishing, so sharpen up your hooks.
Darryl
>>>----->

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Now ya really let the old time florida cracker snook secret out plum. I wasn't gonna post about the trout :).

Way back in the old days they'd throw them little live speckled trout next to the pilings too. Wouldn't want to get caught doing that these days.

Joe that ladyfish turns into a mushy mess if you freeze it.

Rick

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

nine foot bridge rod,locked up drag,125# kevlar, 1#lb mullet.......better hold on!Been pinned to the seawall many a time. Most addictive drug I ever took :D
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Darryl
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Darryl »

Just think people use to think snook were trash fish. Some people tried to eat them with skin on and they claim they tasted like soap. I eat snook often (in season of course) and I like it. Nothing better than a snook hitting a top water plug. That is except a big buck walking in front of your stand on opening day.
Last edited by Darryl on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl
>>>----->

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

Joe, lady fish don't keep well in the freezer......There is one other bait that no one has mentioned, I'll let this drag on and see if someone else will post about it.......IT'S NOT A COMMON BAIT FOR CATCHING ANYTHING IN THE SALT. Good post cowboy........

Walker77
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Walker77 »

C1gator wrote:Joe, lady fish don't keep well in the freezer......There is one other bait that no one has mentioned, I'll let this drag on and see if someone else will post about it.......IT'S NOT A COMMON BAIT FOR CATCHING ANYTHING IN THE SALT. Good post cowboy........
A BIG SNATCH HOOK.!

Nile Perch work pretty good in the river here.

C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

that'll do it walker, but I'm talking about live bait....

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo »

It's been a little while since I fished for for snook but I used to be a diehard when I grew up in Ft.Pierce, since were givin away secrets I can tell ya them ribbonfish drifted off the sebastian park cat walk are killers, I mostly fished in Ft.Pierce off the jetty with either a homemade bucktail or the ex.large orange grubs and stuck a worm rattle in em'. I fished with a Star Rod and a 7000c ambassador baitcaster reel loaded with 30lb. gonna have to dig out some pics and show ya'll a few nice ones.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe »

A 12 foot cast net in the channel at the inlet between the fenders will get a couple mullet with racing stripes :D :D It`s always cracker season 8) I`ve caught quite a few in the fresh water canals here in palm bay on soft baits. Thanks for the tip about the lady fish!!! Finally a use for them other than a speed bump :lol:
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe »

One more thing,Just the head at nite?? I mite have to try the babby trout thing too,I know where to get some about the size of a finger mullet :wink:

radar

Post by radar »

when there in hand pics shrimp that is hard to find any more free line no leader 12 lbs then you know your the master.shimano stradic 4000fh smoothest reel ever 6/6 ugly stick med/heavy or penn 6/0 sentor with 6/6sentor rod with 1 ft mullet under us1 sebastion bridge.saint lucie inlet bridge is good too.red an white bommers , superspooks ,schartruse buck tails make sure the hair is puffed out :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :alien:

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe »

Thanks for the tips guys,gunna try some of this with my son,6 yrs old.Hope to put him on a big one!!

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

When I was a kid. I grew up living on the river. I used to go out soon as I got home from school and grab my rod and reel, run out to the back dock. I would wait for a school of mullets to come down single file and toss my treble hook in the water and WHAM! Snag me a mullet. Every so often I would spot some snook. They would always be in pairs and would float up to the surface dead still. You have to be pretty good not to startle them when you toss your treble hook. But MAN! are they good eatin. :D

Geoff

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

Sorry to jump in, But no-one did mention it yet... ...I got this good one on a hand sized BLUEGILL!!! Tilapia also work, as do large wild shiners. I have had best luck on ladyfish when fished live untill they died, then BAM! Just depends where she is at. Did somebody say croakers? Have to say though, after reading all posts, I haven't read one yet that ain't right. Just location and timing. Anyone know a good way to get 'em... ...'oh say, the third week in September?
Attachments
compressed canal snook.JPG
compressed canal snook.JPG (32.13 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Mark 7:9

radar

Post by radar »

now thats a nice one ! they will eat any thing if there hungry idont think you can use bluegills if the man is around same with bass u cant use bluegills . just dont let them see ya . i have caught tarpin on bluegills

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

Thats a NICE fish Mojoe :thumbup:

Jimmy Rickards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Jimmy Rickards »

radar wrote:now thats a nice one ! they will eat any thing if there hungry idont think you can use bluegills if the man is around same with bass u cant use bluegills . just dont let them see ya . i have caught tarpin on bluegills
Bluegill are legal as long as they were caught by hook and line and your the one that caught them. I love Sebastian Inlet with a bucket full of greenies. 8) A lot of snook and big reds.
If your dog doesn't like someone. You probably shouldn't either

MikeP
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by MikeP »

This ones got me itchin now. Im going to Jupiter Inlet to tear into some in about 20 minutes!

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

Here's Keebo with a 31 pounder in 1981.....

and another 22 pounder he busted.....

Florida Cracker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Florida Cracker »

I played a little parental ping pong as a child and when I moved back to Florida to live with my father, our house was on the Loxahatchee River. This first picture is from the weekend I returned (long hair and all).

This is a picture of my largest to date, caught in Jupiter inlet on a greenie. It weighed 33 pounds and was taken in 77 or 78.

Here's a nice night time fish my nephew caught:

Don't know if anybody has said it yet, but sand perch make a great snook bait, also

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

This time of year the really big snook are often off Central West Coast beaches on the first artificial reefs or around the closest significant offshore structure. The biggest are scavengers and like to hang around cleaning stations to scarf up discards. For us, Spaninsh sardines or cigar minnows, whopper threadfin herring (greenies) and ladyfish do the trick - best tactic that I use is to throw the bait out, put the rod in a holder and wait until the tip is in the water before picking it back up.

Right now, the big herds of spawning redfish between 15 and 30 pounds have moved into the mouth of Tampa Bay - hard to chase stripes when the big spots are hungry. 8# superline and a live pinfish will do it every time. Takes about 20 to make a MAN say Uncle.

Best bait for big snook, though, is a really nice set of brown eyed puppies - break them out and it really excites the Big Snook.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

radar

Post by radar »

good job nice fish i miss fishing i will keep praying some day i will get it back. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :alien:

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

Radar must have Snook Scanning Sonar...
Here's a couple more from Sebastion Inlet, taken on Live Pinfish

Return to “Airboat Talk”