Why no Panther boats

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Roxy7430
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Why no Panther boats

Post by Roxy7430 »

Why don't any SA members run Panther boats? The hull design seems to be very good and the quality seems to be high. I don't ever see anyone with a Panther. Are the boats considered too big and heavy??
Jim Allen, President
Go Ballistic Airboat Co
352 463 3960
jim.a@pharma-mgt.com

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Why no Panther boats

Post by nomad41 »

Seminole Wind runs a Panther.You will see some at the FAA show and once you get your boat done and get out and run in differant areas you will see more panthers.Bob
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

sberryman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by sberryman »

just bring a camera in case you see the elusive BLACK PANTHER :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
"The frog does not drink up the pond in which he lives." ~Native Proverb~

GWTW-000
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GWTW-000 »

Seminolewind's boat has to be part tank, he runs that darn thing like he stole it. Goes anywhere he points it.

Lonewolf9029
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Lonewolf9029 »

I run a Panther and also an SAmember :lol: Love the boat!
TAA-426 15' x 7' Panther>>>350>>>2.68 Rotator gearbox>>.Sensenich 3bld 80" "R" series

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman »

sberryman wrote:just bring a camera in case you see the elusive BLACK PANTHER :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
seminole wind actualy drives a jaguar hull. there is no proof and also isnt recognised by fwc as a panther hull. :shock:
If life looks hairy in front of you! Shave it and put a condom on.

CONTINENTAL CRACKER
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by CONTINENTAL CRACKER »

i had one.it was my first airboat that was put together and was runable.i had the ice/marsh master.i wouldn't ever own that style of a hull again.but like said above it was undestructable. i beat the snot out of that boat and it took it like a champ.it is still running around my area.if i was ever to own aniother panther hull it would have to be the lighting hull!!i was not impressed with the round sided panther.they are a good manufactor,and build a very tuff hull.the reason why they are so tuff if because they build them with thick alum.my hull was all 190 thickness.i can say if i ever went back to running a alum hulls, i would have a 190 bottom with lighter side and bow,and transom. i feel the thicker bottom hold up to running the ground and tree alot bettter than the thinner hull.
I WOULD RATHER PADDLE A CANOE THAN OWN A WATERPUMPER

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt »

Aren't Classic and Panther the same?
So the old "classic" brand hulls I see tons of out there are technically Panther hulls, is this right?

deepsea diver
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by deepsea diver »

Come out to the st Johns river, Hwy 46, 50 or 520. You will see plenty.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Matt, it was Panther LONG ages before the name Classic ever came around.

Panther at one time built the best handling fiberglass hull that ever hit the water. Many were simply called Bel Hulls. They may still make them on request, I really don't know if they do or not. It was that boat that built Panthers rep for airboats. They got some contracts with, I believe, ARCO or their subs, when the Al-Can Pipeline was being built I believe and they built a bunch of automotive powered metal boats and as far as I can see have stayed metal ever since. I think it was sometime after this they began calling them Classic. I suspect whenever that was that Bud stepped sideways and began letting someone else run the show at least to some degree.

Shame the old glass hull isn't seen anymore.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

I just got my Panther this summer and am already thinking about a upgrade. Mine is old, I believe made in 84 by the serial number on the transome, 15 long and bottom only 5 wide. Sides are 7 wide after the curve of the chimes. Slides a lot, and I am a newbie, has some significant indents in the bottom that I was not able to pound out. I have a lot to learn I realize and have only run it a few times, down now putting in a new motor but hope to be running it this weekend. Seems a bit tippy to me and makes me a bit nervous, need to get more of a feel for it and be careful not to slide it into anything solid. Will be good for learning, but am already thinking about a 7 wide bottom for the next one. Bud
Attachments
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG (63.16 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

T. Gaffney
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by T. Gaffney »

Classic didn't come about until 1993. It was formed to sell parts and the old style panther hull. It is affiliated with Panther and was originally headed up by Bishop Jordan and Mr. Bell. However, it is a seperate corporation.

Whitebear, I agree with you. The old glass hulls are the best glass boats I have ever sat in.
Last edited by T. Gaffney on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

THE NIGHT RIDER
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by THE NIGHT RIDER »

IVE OWNED TWO PANTHER AND ONE CLASSIC AND I LOVED THEM ALL. BUT I LIKE DIAMONDBACK ALSO,MY CURRENT RIDE. PANTHER HULLS AND CLASSIC ARE TWO DIFFERENT STYLE HULLS BUT THE SAME MANUFACTUREER AND THERE TOUGH. IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS BUD WILL HOOK YOU UP.BUD IZ THE OLD MAN OF AIRBOAT MANUFACTURERS AND BUILDS SWEET BOATS LIKE THE REST BUT HIS BOATS ARE SURELY UP THERE IN THE PRICE RANGE. 1-800-AIR-BOAT. 8)
!!! IM THE REAL NIGHT RIDER B!TCH !!! !!! AND A PROUD TO BE IN THE DIAMONDBACK FAMILY !!!!

dean
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dean »

I too have had two panthers and i just this week bought a 97 classic with the k-way gear box 16 x 8.

The Tweety is Panther and i also have a 1979 panther that runs great{yellow and black} but i will sell to pay on my classic. I really like how they slide.

Lots of Panthers here in Texas and maybe a few Texas black panthers.
1996 Classic BRAB 3, 16 x 8, zz3 corvette 345 hp k-way gear drive, 78in 6 blade warp drive prop , on the hill at Poverty Hill

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt »

Whitebear wrote:Matt, it was Panther LONG ages before the name Classic ever came around.
Yes, I knew Panther was first, I'm sorry if I implied that Classic came first. I just see a lot of that style hull out there - in older boats.

And personally, if anyone at Panther is reading this, think about going back to the old logo you had back in the 70's. (The black panther) that was a cool looking logo!!!! ;) Maybe just update it to modernize it some.

matt.
Attachments
old_panther_logo.png
old_panther_logo.png (67.17 KiB) Viewed 3672 times

Seminole Wind
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Seminole Wind »

Moodfood said...... "And personally, if anyone at Panther is reading this, think about going back to the old logo you had back in the 70's. (The black panther) that was a cool looking logo!!!! Maybe just update it to modernize it some."

Yeah man.......and when and if they do.......I want the 1st two please!!!!!!!!!!
THROW ALL THE RAT BASTARDS OUT.....RE-ELECT NO ONE!!!
F.T.M.F.
Be safe and keep yer knees in da breeze;
Vinny

http://community.webshots.com/user/hdbuckwheat
http://www.highlifter.com
http://www.svtperformance.com

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger »

I run a 1995 Classic Hull and love it. It is deep sided and you almost have to want to sink it. Very stable and strong.

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

I have had two panther/classic boats and they where good boats. The problem I had with them is that they are built for FL running and you have to change the transom for running open bay systems. Every Panther I owned we cut the transom out and replaced it with a taller one. We also added more ribs to the boat.

18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

Lonewolf9029
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Lonewolf9029 »

Crowhater: here's a chance for me to find out what kind of steering (name of) I had in my Panther before I replaced it with teleflex. That 2nd boat down, the setup for the steering in the right corner of the picture. Is that part of a Belcrank or what type steering? thanks Don
TAA-426 15' x 7' Panther>>>350>>>2.68 Rotator gearbox>>.Sensenich 3bld 80" "R" series

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

Lonewolf9029 wrote:Crowhater: here's a chance for me to find out what kind of steering (name of) I had in my Panther before I replaced it with teleflex. That 2nd boat down, the setup for the steering in the right corner of the picture. Is that part of a Belcrank or what type steering? thanks Don
I have always heard it called dog leg steering. My other panther had it also.

18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

Lonewolf9029
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Lonewolf9029 »

thanks Crow

Hogheaven
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hogheaven »

yup...
It don't like oysters. But I just replace the Radiator--- Back down to 160 degrees. LOL.

Floral City Deckover 16x8
Stinger
3 Blade WaterWalker

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

That 2nd boat down, the setup for the steering in the right corner of the picture. Is that part of a Belcrank or what type steering?

Yes that is the mount for a Belcrank.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Lonewolf9029
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Lonewolf9029 »

Whitebear: I basically have the same picture here when I took my Panther down earlier this year.I guess a naked Panther is a naked Panther. Thanks Don

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

IVE NEVER OWNED A PANTHER BOAT/HULL THEY SEEM TO RUN GOOD BUT JMO THE DOWN FALL IS THE ARE ROUND SIDED AND WHEN WALKING AROUND IN THEM TOWARDS THE REAR THEY DIP BADLY COMPARED TO OTHERS IVE DROVE/ OR TOOK A RIDE IN
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Return to “Airboat Talk”