Why no Panther boats

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Why no Panther boats

Post by crowhater »

Hogheaven wrote:yup...
It don't like oysters. But I just replace the Radiator--- Back down to 160 degrees. LOL.

Where you stuck or just fishing? I have family that has a house on Salt lake in Rockport so I know some of that area. I hate oyster reefs with a passion because they tear the hell out of your polly in seconds, not to mention the damage they do to my hunting dogs every year.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

flyin blind
Southern Airboat Member

Post by flyin blind »

i have a 13.6 titled as a 1990 classic and it is tuff and is a great open deep water boat. it has seen alot of rough water 1 to 3 footers and has not give up the ghost. ive had it for 14 years and still keeps on going. as far as handling with 50 gallons of fuel and three people it really did a fine job :shock:
old school is what got us here today . the most important six inches on a battlefield is between your ears!!!! mad dog mattis

flyin blind
Southern Airboat Member

Post by flyin blind »

10\4 on hurtin the dogs :blackeye:
old school is what got us here today . the most important six inches on a battlefield is between your ears!!!! mad dog mattis

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by nomad41 »

This has turned into a good thread.Its been interesting to hear about the differant Panther/Classic's out there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

flyin blind
Southern Airboat Member

Post by flyin blind »

didnt felber purchase a panther sometime back? what ever happened to build?

dan-o
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dan-o »

I run a 11' 1984 Panther lite (old Rotax duck hunting boat) with a
O-320 Lycoming. Takes us anywhere we need to go and hauls ass
comparing apples to apples. Hull looks brand new still today and I
can run all day on 20 gals!
<<<<<<<<<<
"Disneyworld and air conditioning is gonna ruin Florida."
-My Grandmother-

dan-o
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dan-o »

Hey T. Gaffney What do you say here dude?
"Disneyworld and air conditioning is gonna ruin Florida."
-My Grandmother-

T. Gaffney
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by T. Gaffney »

You know how I feel! I love all airboats...but cut me open and I bleed Panther!

Ribcracker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ribcracker »

Took my airboat to them, no cage and ready for them to work on. They built a new cage, installed with new rudders and steering mechanism, built an 8"x18" storage box, new console, 4 new seat shells. I had an outside painter paint and dip everything, he gave me a price of 2300.00 for the paint and dipping. Panther upcharged the paint nearly 50%, and built that into a total invoice of $12,333.00. What's wring with this picture? no wonder the average guy here on the river can't afford them. Oh yeah, almost forgot, it took 3 months to do this. In case anyone is wondering, I had the upholstery done elsewhere that I paid for myself. When I went to pick it up it wouldn't start, sat outside in the rain and wind for this entire time and starter wouldn't engage. they installed another starter, which took another week. Mike said, "I've had my boat sitting in the weather for nearly 3 years and it still starts. Pathetic. I'm sure this will never hit the public eye on their reviews, but I'm on the river all the time, and this good news will surely be discussed out there. Warning, if you go there to have work done don't drive your expensive vehicles, they see money and they figure they're going to get some of it. And they did... for the last time !!!! This is why you don't see any Panthers out there.

marshthumper
Southern Airboat Member

Post by marshthumper »

That’s definitely steep! You could buy a pretty nice turnkey boat for that price! I would’ve paid for it in my credit card and disputed the overall charge. Taken them to court to justify the billing and prices!! I know the local shops here in town can be expensive because they have to charge for hours rendered on a project. But the local guys always are very upfront and willing to work with you and justify your bill! They want the good reputation that’s spread by being fair and the return business! That’s what keeps their doors open and the lights on. I’ve never owned a panther boat, but have risen in a few. Not my cup of tea, but all boats have a place and purpose. I wouldn’t own any of the boats I’ve riden in, but I’ve seen others that I was impressed with for what they were.
Homebuilt 12ft deckover with Lycoming O-360

PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PAINKILLER »

Very interesting 🤔
MATTHEW 25:35-45 LS 406 82 4bld WaterWalker falcon 2.68 ox box
LS 427 80 3 Bld WaterWalker Maximus 2.68 ox box :rebel:

Ribcracker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ribcracker »

I was reminded by a good friend that I forgot to mention the ordeal I went thru last year. I had Panther build a cage on my last new boat, while I was there they talked me into a new Counter-Rotator, $11,000.00 plus $9500.00 in blades and hub. Ran well, but I attribute that to the Mike Ford engine, he builds an engine that will make any boat strong. Anyway, 22 hours later a noise developed in the gear box, I took it to Panther, they removed it and put on a spare until they could take the old one (22 hours on it) apart to find the problem. A week few weeks later I called them, they said that a piece of the housing broke off inside and they would put another one together for me. 50 hours later a noise developed in the loaner they installed, I took it back (my original gear box was still not done). Panther said it wasn't their gearbox that was making the noise that it was the props, that something had come loose in them. They sent the props back to the manufacturer (X-Caliber), the manufacturer checked the props and said they were like new, no problems whatsoever and sent them back to Panther. Then Panther said that they did find an issue with the gearbox, so they installed the original gearbox back on the boat (took them months to get the original one ready). When I went to pick everything up I asked them "what do I owe you", expecting them to say nothing, it was our issue with the gearbox not yours. Hmmm, $2200.00. I ask, what is this bill for, their reply was, 1. testing the box... 2. having the props tested... Freight for sending the props out for testing... 3. labor for removal and re-install... I don't argue, I pay as always and they know that. 22 hours on the original gear box, issues. 50 hours on the loaner gearbox, issues. To solve the issues Panther would not take responsibility, they blamed the Prop manufacturer, instead they invoice me once again for their overly priced gearboxes (I paid $11,000.00 when they advertise them for $9500.00), which don't hold up as advertised. True, the counter-rotator does eliminate the torque roll on an airboat, but definitely not worth the $20,000.00 I invested for a set up that panther will not stand behind. Lesson learned, my boats won't be at panther again, unless it's just to show them what an Alumitech quality boat looks like. No panther boat, gearboxes, parts or labor for this old boy ever again. See Ya'll on the river...

Ribcracker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ribcracker »

Took my boat to Alumitech yesterday. We were looking at the cage that Panther put on, it sweeps around the gearbox, 1 and a half inches clearance on the left side, 3 and a half inches on the right side. Alumitech said they would fix that and also install a flag bracket for me, none was installed at Panther. Not surprising huh.

Return to “Airboat Talk”