Death of the Super Highway

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
BCSO #2
Southern Airboat Member

Death of the Super Highway

Postby BCSO #2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:41 pm

Well guys and gals, the super highway from 50 to Hatbill is drying up. It has some dry spots in it already> So be careful and don't throw your passengers out, unless they are nagging you.

rick
Site Admin

Re: Death of the Super Highway

Postby rick » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks for the update. I've noticed the river's dropping like a rock right now.

Rick

BCSO #2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby BCSO #2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:51 pm

since the flood gates down south have been closed and no rain it is dropping fast.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:16 pm

I've noticed it dropping faster than normal the past month. It usually drops at a slower rate.
I'm wondering if that flood last year cleaned out some of the underwater channels and now the river is flowing with better efficiency.

Thanks for the update on the superhighway.

I understand why they HAVE to do it, but I sure do hate to see them shut off the water at the end of Lake Washington.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Has anyone noticed the road project @ Hwy 415 in between Sanford & Osteen??? They've trucked in tens of thousands of loads of dirt. It makes me :?: wonder why :?: the new road is going to be that high..... :idea: then it strikes me... :idea: they've now created a bottleneck in the river there. and right there at the 415 bridge would be a logical place to put another 'hold-back' structure like at lake washington. Lake Jesup and Lake Harney/puzzle would be the reservoirs. Also, a dam there would restrict less boat traffic. They can't put a dam anywhere else on the river downstream from the 415 bridge without putting in a lock due to the amount of boat traffic. 415 is the logical place. And I've heard neighbors say the new "treatment plant experimental plant" on lake jesup will then become a permanent drinking water source.

IF THEY DO THIS> I sure won't mind! :mrgreen: It'll turn my swamp-front into bonifide lakefront property! And when Jesup and this area of the river is up (as of a month ago) there is a lot of good ride area here!

You heard it first right here!!!!!

Has anyone heard of such a plan????

matt.

hogdoggin
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby hogdoggin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:25 pm

Moodfood dont hold me to this but a friend of mine has some property over there and he was wondering what was going on there he called the county about why they were building the road that high. The story they told him was that they build the dirt up high so the weight will push the muck out from under it than after some time passes they will come back and take the dirt away.

BCSO #2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby BCSO #2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:52 pm

Sounds like someone blowin smoke to me :!: :!: :!: :!:

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:56 pm

hogdoggin wrote:so the weight will push the muck out from under it

Well, that right there makes sense if it's gonna be a dam too. I really can't imagine them going thru that hauling expense (gott'a be huge $$$) to truck it in, let it sit, then haul it back out. I'll believe that when I see it!

I still think they are holding the idea open for a retention dam there. Orlando is on water restrictions RIGHT NOW already! And they need to do something about the water needs of the 2 million people of metro Orlando.

Maybe they are not going to build it YET...
Maybe the plans are not on the table YET...
But it sure does look like in the next 10 ~ 15 years - when water is so scarce, people will be demanding some water retention! And they"ll "discover" the perfect place for it.

I'm not sayin' they are gonna flood all the land around there.... just bringing the water level up 3 feet (where it just was 8 weeks ago) will give them TONS of water.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:01 am

Hey Hogdoggin, in a lot of ways, I hope you are right. But if they do build it SOMEDAY.... I won't hate that either. :)

hogdoggin
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby hogdoggin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:02 am

Yea i dont know the truth to it. My buddy was worried about his property because he plains on selling if the market ever comes back up. And thats what they told him. But i wouldnt mind the water comeing back up where it was makes for some good riding :D As for the expense i could believe it the county waste more money than anything.

Champ18ft
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Champ18ft » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:43 am

They do pile dirt on a muck area where it can't be removed. The weight of the dirt pushes the muck to the sides.I have even seen it come out of the ground. They call it Surcharge.
13-5' Gilleo Lazer 0-540 A/V 74" Q
ImageImage

cowtown
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby cowtown » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:29 am

they used the dirt trick on SR60 when they four laned it out of Vero to Yee Haw Junction .
http://usfth.tripod.com

And Proud Of It !!!

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby yobee » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 am

Mood i drive 415 everyday, that dirt piled up along the side of the road is a good 10-15 feet higher than the current road (which was well above the water when tropical storm fay came around!) I guess time will tell us what they really do with it...
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby R L Williams » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:10 am

Yep, they piled dirt up like that when building I-95 over Ga's Okie swamp.
"GRASS SCOOTER"
Member of the over the hill gang.
United Sportsmen Airboaters Alliance.
NRA life member.

Return to “Airboat Talk”