Old Davie Airboat Shop?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
hostile
Southern Airboat Member

Old Davie Airboat Shop?

Post by hostile »

Anybody out there have any memories of an airboat shop that was located next to City Hall in Davie,FL from the mid sixties to early seventies. My dad used to go up there and help the owner work on the boats. I remember one time riding up there with my mom to retrieve dad. I guess he wasn't spending enough time at home! Would like to hear any stories or see some pics if anyone has some. Thanks!
SWAMPCRACKER
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Old Davie Airboat Shop?

Post by SWAMPCRACKER »

I myself am from Davie,Fl was'nt born there but i grew up there and went to Davie Elementary I lived over by " E-lake " on 36th court...I never knew that there was an airboat shop by city hall pretty cool to know where exactly was it do you remember ? was it by the rodeo grounds or closer to orange road? The only shop I knew of close to Davie was Bill Vaugns shop over in Broadview off of 441 & Peters Rd. I would love to hear all about it if you know anymore about it...
~ WAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE EVERGLADES ~
~ WHERE THE BLACK WATER ROLLS AND THE SAWGRASS WAVES ~
hostile
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hostile »

The shop was a small building that faced Orange Drive. It was between Rubin's Hardware and city hall south of the rodeo grounds. I think that there were two companies in the building. Maybe an animal vet and the airboat shop. Also had heard that a young FWC Officer had been electrocuted there while working on his airboat. It was not Bill's shop.
cowboyfrank10
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cowboyfrank10 »

My family came to davie around 1900.I too was born and raised there. The shop you are talking about was Don Medlins.The building is still there now,located behind now the moose lodge formerly the hitching post resturaunt.
tony
Southern Airboat Member

Post by tony »

yea I two born and raised in davie don medlin is right we all spent alot of time around there and bill greys barber shop with our dads talking hunting and fishing man i wish we could turn the clock back FRANK are you a james?
hostile
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hostile »

Now that you guys put his name out there I recognize it. My dad had a small home built aluminum boat with a 125 Lycoming gpu on it. he used to work on it at the shop. He and Don would go airboating together sometimes as far north as Palm Beach.
I've also heard him mention the barber shop. He always tells a story about a guy coming into the shop and offering to take Bill and my dad flying. Turns out the guy had a Piper Supercub out at Stirling Road and University Drive. They went out to the farm rolled out the plane and it was at that point that my dad relized the Cub only had two seats! They made my dad ride in the luggage area. All was good until the aerobatic show started! all made it home alive with a good story to tell. I remember seeing that old Cub sitting in the pole barn of that farm for years. Too bad Davie not the same anymore!
jonstar
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jonstar »

hostile wrote:Now that you guys put his name out there I recognize it. My dad had a small home built aluminum boat with a 125 Lycoming gpu on it. he used to work on it at the shop. He and Don would go airboating together sometimes as far north as Palm Beach.
I've also heard him mention the barber shop. He always tells a story about a guy coming into the shop and offering to take Bill and my dad flying. Turns out the guy had a Piper Supercub out at Stirling Road and University Drive. They went out to the farm rolled out the plane and it was at that point that my dad relized the Cub only had two seats! They made my dad ride in the luggage area. All was good until the aerobatic show started! all made it home alive with a good story to tell. I remember seeing that old Cub sitting in the pole barn of that farm for years. Too bad Davie not the same anymore!
Lets take it back to times like that!!!
12'6" Diamondback 350 SBC Direct Drive
cowboyfrank10
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cowboyfrank10 »

yes this is Frank James .Is that you tony thomas?
tony
Southern Airboat Member

Post by tony »

thats me frank good to here from you you still in davie? iam in sainbel fl
cowboyfrank10
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cowboyfrank10 »

here in hollywood fla .My kids live over there in n ft myers off of orange blvd. and hancock bridge rd.
tony
Southern Airboat Member

Post by tony »

cool lets get toghter if you come over we can go gouper fishing i was over there last week end i sent you a pm with my number sorry to here about bubba saw bill grey in june he lives up by my mom and dad i will try and send my number again
cowboyfrank10
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cowboyfrank10 »

Try my profile,have e-mail address there.

Return to “Airboat Talk”