Aviation engines vs. V-8 Car/Marine engines

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
COLD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by COLD » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:24 am

Uh, mudfish started this, I was just wondering if he was still part of it! :lol:

Muddfish

Post by Muddfish » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:26 am

I've read every word :downtown:

Thanks for all the good info.....some was off message :spam2: but it was all good.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:47 am

Muddfish wrote:I've read every word :downtown:

Well, that deserves a HI-5 and a salute!!!! :salute:

sometimes a new guy comes in makes a post, then you never hear from again.

Welcome to "the gang" muddfish!

I've read every word too, and am what I get out of it is that it's a subject of great passion to some, and little care to others. And both end up riding side by side having a great time in the marsh. What matters is git'r-dun.

matt.

deepsea diver
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by deepsea diver » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:33 am

This has been great enterainment as well as very informative!!! I will be building a boat soon. This has been very helpful. Man it's great to be an american, where you can voice your opinion. It's good to see some of you have calcium in your spine and some nads in your sack. I see some of you have a little thin skin. Gentlemen, I can feel the passion you have for your hobby and lifestyle. Don't know when this will end. I know many of you will be gathering at the river or marsh this weekend and will be living life to the fullest. Even in the company of a A/C or car motor boats. Just be happy with what you have, cause you have it for a reason. As for now i could go A/C or CM. Running the hill is hard on my back, and I like to take it easy. Thanks so much for the INFO. You guys have a good thing going on.

big feather

Post by big feather » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:24 pm

Cold, you've got it man ..... 200hp and below nothing can compete with a 4 cyl. A/C engine. Between 200 and 300hp it gets kind of iffy. But if you need more than 300hp then it'll probably take an auto engine to do the job.

BF

scooter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scooter » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:05 pm

Mudd here's my 2 cents the question you asked is more to do with how you want to ride than wich is better. i ride a 12 ft. deck-over with an a/c motor because it's light and nimble i ride a lot of tight trail's with switch back's and sharp corner's and my car motor boat was to big to run these trail's easily. but i do miss the extra seating just don't have room for it on 12 ft. another boat i rode alot has a mazda rotary engine on a 12ft. boat and goes almost as good as mine. so it really depend's on the type of riding you want to do as much as what some think is better or worse.
if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:39 pm

big feather wrote:This will be my final post on this thread also ...

Huh?

:bootyshake:

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by dblj006 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:07 pm

Scooter
How's the Mazda engine? I know a fellow that has one
in a homebuilt aircraft. He used the Mazda transmission
for gear reduction and likes to fly with it. The airboat
you referred to, is it quiet? It must have some form of
reduction on it? The rotary Mazda engine is light and
probably would be fuel efficient? What A/C engine are
you running on your deckover? Just curious.

scooter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scooter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:34 am

dblj006 the mazda work's really good on an airboat it put's out about 180 hp. and weigh's 200 lbs. the guy who built it also built the reduction unit (he's very crafty) it's built from the upper main rotor housing from a bell helicopter it uses a 3.17 to 1 ratio and he turn's an 80 inch 6 blade staggered warp drive his max prop rpm is roughly 2000 and he run's a good muffler so it is fairly quiet and the best part of the deal is it run's best on 87 octane burn's about 3 gal. per hr. ther's a picture of it in rick's photo album it's a little yellow boat. but it look's totally different now he built a new hull over the winter and it's almost done.
if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy

big feather

Post by big feather » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:03 pm

Mood, I've seen this view of you several times before .... don't you have anything new to offer?

Did Cntry put you up to this? If so, you might want to consider thinking about what the hundreds of others who read these posts think of your a$$ right now, and about where you stand with regard to 'freedom of expression'.

Feather

stan
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by stan » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:32 pm

sat I found myself riding on cntrys boat thru the marsh on lake jumper just outside of scramble town .I realy didn't know what to expect as this was a new place to me. After following hunter 's rivermaster with a gpu through the hunting trails it was obvious that cntrys boat didn't belong in there, his boat did just fine cept it was to big ,had to power over to many trees ,and just wasn't as nimble as it needed to be, had to keep whatching for limbs and debris. our friend Hunter was kinda enough to wait for us every 200 yards I could tell he was concerned weather we were gonna make it thru or not and we did with only one dent in the rake .
For the type of riding that we did I would have chosen a 4000.00 gpu powered boat that way when I wrecked it I wouldn't be out much. A car motor would work but it would have been a wreck in a short time.(trees in radiator would be a big problem}My opionon as it stands now is every motor and boat has it's advantages and limitations ,first decide on your needs and then decide on an engine.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:17 pm

Stan your exactly right every dog has his day. I was the new kid on the block at the run saturday so I accepted the challenge. A lessor operator would have had his stuff in pieces I believe not tootin my horn but this wasn't my first rodeo as you know. I was wishin for a a/c boat myself and as I told you when my new hull gets here I am done with the skinny trails as there will be no option and operator skill will do no good an 8.5' hull is 8.5' wide I don't care who is drivin it or what kinda motor it has on it. One thing for sure though that airconditioned whitetrash cond will be the cats ass when its hot and we are campin in the swamp don't you know. LOL. Give me the wide open praries with that baby and water will not be required.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:18 am

As for the apologies and thin skin ... for those who are not local please bear in mind that while we disagree we often ride together and eat together, and if one of us is broke down or stuck the others will be right there no matter what kinda motor is on the boat and if the motor wont get there they will walk in to help if needed ... WE ARE FAMILY .. and yeah its a southern thing .. if I gotta explain it ... you probably wouldn't understand it anyways. as for gonads please don't think an apology has anything to with them ... it takes a big set to apologize.

Also in case any anti airboaters are readin this and should by any stretch of the imagination form the opinion that we are divided ... be advised that we are not divided .. we may argue within our family but outsiders/anti airboaters ... beware we are just fine as a group. come and gitcha some you might like it. nuff said
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Croc1
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Croc1 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:58 pm

I have pulled them both of off the bottom and pulled them both in with engines broken real bad!!!
Aloha :D

froggigger1
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by froggigger1 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:34 pm

well said country , any ?'s.

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Skeeter » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:29 pm

Well said Country. there is not a better group of people any were in the world to be afilliated with.
Last edited by Skeeter on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:54 pm

This will be my last post to this thread.

We are not divided!
Thats an important point to make in this thread. Thanks for saying that Country. Wish I'd thought to do it.

I want to post a picture of some of the Baddest boats I think I've ever seen. Boats I sure would not mind owning, because I think they would provide the very best performance imaginable, for the kind of airboating I like to do.

Dreamboats:

There can be no doubt, this is the baddest automotive ride boat I think I've ever seen.

If I were to go automotive, it would have to be just as pictured above.

This is one bad ride boat too. It will do anything I'd ever want in an airboat.

That's just me. Just my opinion. I like small boats, and small a ride boat with ultra high performance, would be like a dream come true.

I don't have a big Family, and I'm not a good cook. I've witnessed giant barge of a boat pull up next to my stuck 4cyl, so they might shake me loose. That big autoboat was full of camp kitchen gear, fryers, drums of cooking oil, and left over frog legs. I got loose, dismounted, and started shaking on another stuck autoboat. The chef driving the boat did'nt need any shaking to bust his hull loose, and drive off from that spot. It's an impressive rig, but not the kind of boat I'd like to have. For him. It's perfet. It didn't matter who was driving what.

Just like the question at hand here. There is no right answer, and it don't matter.

Just run boat you decide is best for you, and the airboating you like.

I just wish I could afford to own both boats pictured above.
That would be perfect.

I'll be smashing more grass with my old 4 banger next weekend, and the weekend after that, and enjoying every second of it.

Only in America baby!

Over and out.

Cracker0320

Car Motor Boats

Post by Cracker0320 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:55 pm

http://www.southernairboat.com/photopos ... ppuser/129
Here's one reason I do not perfer Automotive Engines. :D

BoHawg
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BoHawg » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:21 pm

Well, I ain't sayin' that one is any better than the other.....but, an aircraft engine was designed to spin a prop. You get my drift.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:14 pm

cntry & cowboy great posts. WELL SAID. cntry, like to hear some info on the new hull. Sounds interesting. Keep us posted.

c chardt
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by c chardt » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:36 pm

well cracker I have seen both stuck and that will happen when you run the boat if you leave the water.

and for bohawg looks like the car motors are spinning alot bigger prop than the air craft .

but just buy what fits you budget and be happy with it you can always up grade later you will never be completly happy with any boat you buy you will always look for a little more.

this will be my last post on this topic as well
www.dakotaairboats.com or 321-863-2312
If your looking for Different we build different all boats custom built any way you want.
CNC metal plasma cutting / parts / seats / trailers / hulls / Aluminum work anything you need, polymer

Cracker0320

Post by Cracker0320 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:49 pm

What do you need water for if you have an Airboat? :D There was 6 or 7 Aircraft with us that run through Gardner Marsh this weekend with no water in sight, my boat runs the hill at the same RPM as it does in the water. We ran from north cove to the hole in the wall.

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by dblj006 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:02 pm

I'll bet a four-stroke blender will get better fuel economy and will be
a heck of alot quieter than a two stroke one...

this will be my last post on this thread also...ppsshhaaww

FELBER632

Post by FELBER632 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:23 am

Edited due to recent promises of no longer posting on this subject. So my attorney advises me to sit back, be quiet and "learn" LOL

Felber

daharh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by daharh » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:15 am

this has been an interesting topic and i think there will never be a right answer its just a matter of enjoying what you have cause like they say no matter what.The man with the most toys in the end is still dead.

Return to “Airboat Talk”