Aviation engines vs. V-8 Car/Marine engines

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
wade
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby wade » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:53 am

Hey Muddfish, You might get a chance to pick up an airboat cheep when these gas prices go through the roof, Sorry too late :evil:

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:48 am

Well thanks for the complement Cowboy I have owned just as many aircraft airboats as I have car motors actually more. Unlike allot people who bash the other brand I have owned both. This is the first ride boat I have ever owned that I have no desire to change I have found MY perfect nirvana. It took me ten or so aircraft, gpu, small block and big block boats to find it but I finally found it. As for the other pic on this thread No matter what kind of boat it is I don't think posting a picture of somebody's boat being stuck and ragging on him was cool. I am proud that you can all see me in that picture pulling on that boat I don't even know the owner and I would have done the same if it were an aircraft. I have seen at least 50 stuck aircrafts and parked right next to them to pick up their passengers or help them out and drove right off. Without making a comment or taking a picture I just helped them out and usually we ended up ridding afterwards. Because you never know no matter how bad your rig is you may or (will) need help someday and that's a big crow to swallow. Anyway I personally think airboats are at the cross roads of performance. Some big changes are occurring just like the electronics field during the 80's things laid dormant for 50years then bang technology accelerated at a massive pace. Felber and I agree he knew enough about physics to see it and I had to learn it from experience. Until two years ago the engine technology was far beyond what the props could ever harness, now the props and drives are coming around so last and not least and what I have been waiting for over 5 years now is somebody to build a hull that can utilize 1,500HP. Right now the magic area has been around 900HP. I have seen several boats go faster with less horsepower. Right now with an airboat IT IS MUCH EASIER TO GO FAST WITH 800HP THEN IT IS WITH 1,500HP. This is a fact and I can't wait for the day that the hull builders catch up to the engine guy's and now the prop manufactures. Now for my disclaimer I am talking only about the racing end so don't get mad at me if you build boats that the emphasis is not based solely on performance.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Dakota
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Dakota » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:40 am

Well sure I am a female but I am offended by Cracker. Cracker, I have seen aircraft boats stuck right there at the milk bus too. You are posting a picture of someone stuck in the dry season. I agree with Waterthunder when he said something about standing there and taking the picture. I am sure the one time you may get stuck this guy does not drive on by and leave you there. We are all airboats and we should help out no matter what motor they have on their boat. I think this topic is stupid and you are all arguing about which motor is better. I guess it must be a man thing because as a woman I don't give a damn what motor I have on there as long as I am able to take my airboat out and ride. This thread has gotten out of hand and you guys remind me of a bunch of old women. Let it go and move on. There are always going to be those out there who want to run what they want so why set here and say this one is better than that one or this one has more horse power than this one. WHO CARES!!! Just go out and ride your boat and have fun.
Cracker I will again say, you posted that to start trouble here again and I think that was wrong of you. I don't think you would like it if I were to go through my pictures and show three aircraft boats stuck while our car motor boat left without them.
That is all I have to say.
www.dakotasphotography.com

Cracker0320

Postby Cracker0320 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:18 pm

I didn't intentionaly mean to offend anyone.
All I said is that I personally don't perfer car motors, they can't go where I want to go and do what I want to do.
I think a lot of people are missing the whole point when it comes to the right boat and motor combination, weight is everything, less weight equals less burnt fuel and less noise.
And as far as helping someone if you ask around I bet you can find a whole lot of peole I've helped out on the lake, I have never left anyone stranded.

Cracker

Dakota
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Dakota » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:53 pm

I am sure you did not mean to offend no one but we all need to remember that people can read this in a whole different way than we mean it. I actually was looking through the pictures last night and I saw this one and I got mad. I know it was dumb of me but this whole aircraft, car motor thing is crazy to me. Run what you feel comfortable in. Personally we run car motor because our parts are new, we know how old the block is, and we can buy parts at our local parts store and not have to wait. We have never had an aircraft and we have never put anyone down for having an aircraft. That is what we choose. But when you posted that picture it was just wrong. WE HAVE ALL BEEN STUCK aircraft and car motor so to pinpoint one or the other makes no sense to me. I just don't get the whole thing and it got to me after looking through here. Like I said, I don't care what motor as long as I am able to take it out and ride when I want to.
As far as helping, I am sure you have done your fair share of helping in your time but I was refering to this picture and I would be pretty pissed if someone took a picture of me like that and posted it like you did. Now on this site I am sure there are pictures posted but they are posted in fun.
So let's just drink back a few :occasion5: and end this right here. We are all a big family here and I know that my own family gets to me sometimes but I get over it and forgive and forget and that is what I will do.

bentonquick
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby bentonquick » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:49 pm

I would like to say I wish everyone would go to auto engines. Then maybe the price will go down on what I like AIRCRAFT,including G.P.U.s Thanks Don

COLD
Southern Airboat Member

Postby COLD » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:10 pm

Not that it really matters, what came first, the chicken or the egg? Or for this discussion, the Aircraft or the Auto. My wifes Grandfather used to run what they called a snowplane up here in the '30's. Ski's spaced the same width as a cutter sleigh and if I remember correct a model T engine with a nice warm cab in front, Heat and everything! Then her Uncle ran a funny looking kind of round hull boat in the '50's on the same river I'm gunna start on with a continental 90. Said the hotter it got the slower it got. He's looking forward to a ride on my project. If every boat filled every need or want! Well it's just not possible is it. It's just compromises or your going to have a lot of boats laying around depending on your mood and who wants to go with you and what you are going to do!!!! 8) That wouldn't be a bad thing! :lol:

Cracker0320

Postby Cracker0320 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:13 pm

Amen !
Until you've driven a real Airboat you have no idea of the feeling of what true airboating is about.
The first Airboat I drove was a 200 Lycoming on a 10 foot hull, the feeling was unreal, the power and the control was amazing. I would rather have a kicker boat than any ole car motor boat.
Cracker

big feather

Postby big feather » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:42 pm

Thunder, here's a man that is in need of a boat ride ..... 8) .

feather

JL242
Southern Airboat Member

Postby JL242 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:06 am

Then by all means, PLEASE go get your boat with a kicker, because its obvious you have not ridden, or driven a WELL built automotive engineered airboat. You have only been exposed to "real airboats" which from what your saying only include aircraft powered boats. My last real airboat was a 0360. Great boat but it was what it was. My new fake boat is not powered by an aircraft, therefore it must not be "real". I understand all the differences between the two (really 3) choices. What I don't understand are the overall critical/trash talk comments toward automotive powered boats. Most of which come from people who NEVER OWNED ONE!! I really enjoy aircraft engines, but I love my LS1. I agree with what Adam said about 2 or 3 pages ago. The LS1 should be in its own category, BUT since it originally came in a car I will acknowledge the fact its an automotive type engine, and promote/defend it til I can't type anymore. Have fun running the marsh in your kicker!!

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:00 am

JL242, don't get to fired up. It's obvious that 0320 is just trying to stir the pot. I doubt that he has ever been on a boat like yours or thunders, but everyone has the right to thier own opinion. And with that said, IMO posting a pic of somebodys stuck boat is a cheap shot.

FELBER632

Postby FELBER632 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:28 am

"Lycoming is taking the stance that developing such leading-edge technologies as electronic engine control and new-think combustion-chamber design for a highly tuned, no-doubt finicky engine like the Nemesis' "big boy" represents the worst-case scenario. If it works here, it should work where the power loads are lower. Similarly, they may try new-design heads and reworked dynamic parts -- almost certainly lighter, stronger pistons and a beefier crank, but also likely to include such racing-catalog bits as titanium valves and connecting rods. I would not be surprised to see NASCAR-inspired valvetrain components on Sharp's big engine."

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:54 am

That's funny stuff there Mike. See Mike a large portion of us in the airboat world really thinks Ned Jarrett's 1945 Mercury runs just as good as Dale Jr's 2006 cup car. You know what keeps coming to my mind Dr. Zeus you know the story of I will not eat green eggs and ham. Think about it thru the whole story the guy's refusing to try something new and different and finally after time and time again of refusing he tries a little and it turns out to be the best thing he has ever had. There is a great moral to the story don't knock something till you tried it. And to group all automotive motors in one class is like grouping all airboat hulls in one class.

321-508-5316

PredatorI0540
Southern Airboat Member

Postby PredatorI0540 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:01 am

Hey dont yall know every airboater is an EXPERT?? Man i think some people know my boat better than i do! You just cant tell some people anything. Point being i've seen aircraft and car-motors stuck! I run an 6-cylinder aircraft, but dont think i wouldnt mind owning one of those LS1's with a gear box from Waterthunder. My boat goes, and gets me where i need to go, so im happy! Everyone just needs to stop argueing over which is better. He asked a simple question, now he got more than an anwser. My anwser would be go with your gutt! and how much money you have to spend!
Clayton Tyler
Haines City, Florida

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:26 am

That was the most common sense and intelligent post on this entire thread.

321-508-5316

Dakota
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Dakota » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:47 am

VERY WELL SAID Predator!!!!!

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby dblj006 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:42 pm

Wow! You guys are getting personal. I think Cracker0320 has been
around awhile and knows a little about airboats. He was the first
to start an airboat online community in Yahoo Groups back in
2001. The first. I do not think he was malicious in his post of that picture.
The fact that someone took it that way is disappointing. And
I'm sure that he probably knows what a "ride in a real airboat"
is.

Check his web page.

JL242
Southern Airboat Member

Postby JL242 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:58 pm

I'm not fired up, and I'm not getting personal. I just prompted Cracker to do what he said. He said he would rather have a boat with a kicker than a car motor boat. My point was right in line with Thunders. Most people, again I said most..... have opinions on car/automotive boats that have not thouroughly researched their own opinon. They just want thier aircraft engine and anything else is crap to them. Its just a mindset I have difficulty with. I have no problem with anyone on this board about their knowledge, their preferences, etc. the problem lies with trash talking a group of boats. Don't trash a powerplant just because you don't like it, have some facts to base it upon. Just because I would rather have an automotive powered airboat instead of an old kicker doesn't make me any of the above......... I do agree with what Clayton stated in the above thread, so that's what I do, go with my gut, and try and spread joy all throughout this board.

Phil
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Phil » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:35 pm

I LIKE THEM ALL! WHAT IS NEEDED IS A GROUP HUG!!

FELBER632

Postby FELBER632 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:52 pm

Before anyone reads it wrong....My post wasn't a stab at A/C. Just an example of the thinking required for any engine to be better and what pros and cons come into play. I found that post when looking for 411 for a future A/C project and some of my combustion chamber ideas I have. The post I thought was relevant for gearbox A/C and where I think they will head in the future.

Felber

bpneiman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bpneiman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:23 pm

I'm looking for an aircraft engine to replace the SBC on my boat. I have someone that can do the stand/motor mount work. It is a 14' glass hull and needs to carry 4 adults plus gear. What would you recommend, and what is it going to cost me? Nothing to high performance needed. Just needs to get me around the river for cruising and fishing.

Any info is appreciated.

Cracker0320

Postby Cracker0320 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:56 pm

Wow, there sure are a lot of thin skinned people here.
I’m not bashing anyone or anything, just stating my “opinion� and you know what they say about opinions don’t ya, and thank God this is America where we can still do that.
I’ve driven everything form 1200Hp big block chevy blower motor boats to direct drive small blocks, and on the A/C side some of the fastest boats around, 520 on a fiberglass step-hull deck-over that was so fast it scared me. The best boat I’ve ever had was a Continental 90HP on a 10 foot hull cut down with cromemoly rigging it would haul 3 people on the hill no problem, I’ve owned 12 airboats in my time, everyone had it’s faults and credits.
Someone here said to each his own and that is my sediment’s exactly.

“Poor Azz White Boy Inc.â€?  That’s me, Cracker

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crackersairboatclub/

FELBER632

Postby FELBER632 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:37 pm

I would love to see an admin close this thread. I think damn near every angle has been covered, Muddfish has all the tools he needs, and all that will come is redundancy, and something to do with a horse that no longer breathes...LOL

COLD
Southern Airboat Member

Postby COLD » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:55 pm

I think you should check to see if it's a new record or something! 8)

COLD
Southern Airboat Member

Postby COLD » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:03 am

Felber!!!!!!! :lol: :o :lol: :lol: Do you think you could build a combustion chamber for Lycoming that would work better than they designed so long ago? (I'm sure you could do it!) 8) Do you think they would go through the certificatiion processes to approve it. How about one of you guys engineering something cool for the airboat guys, probably manufacturing in China, etc!!!! 8)
Last edited by COLD on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Airboat Talk”