Muffler Placement

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
In Too Deep
Southern Airboat Member

Muffler Placement

Postby In Too Deep » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:11 am

I have a 180 lyc. Is there advantage to placeing a 6"stainless barr muffler closer to the headers or at the end of the flex pipe?

DEEP

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:12 am

This has been duscussed in several threads on this forum, you can search around. In general you want your "X" (crossover) as close to the engine as possible and your mufflers on out a ways. As little or no flex pipe as possible. Outboard tips seem to make a difference when directed towards eachother.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

big feather

Postby big feather » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:44 am

Bear, I'm startin to get real confused on this x-over idea. Like you, I've always believed that the x-over should be close to the engine, before the mufflers.
The other day I was on the Dynomax website, and they show a hotrod Mustang with the x-over behind the mufflers ...... :? . Go figure.

I've talked with the Dynomax national sales manager about having them bring a display and a couple of their reps. to the Quiet Aiboat Demo in May. I think it would be pretty cool if we could all talk to some factory tech reps. about the latest and best ideas for gettin quiet without killing horsepower.

feather

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:06 pm

I got my info from reading posts here on the forum from people who are actually doing it. Several boats are already together with the "X" closer to the engine and the mufflers after.

If some unherd of commercial firm wants to contribute to the competition, thats fine, but I sure wouldn't take it just on their say so unless they got the goods to back it up. In my mind I'd want to see them demo it both ways showing the increase their way on the same car/truck/airboat.

I have never heard of Dynomax, I dont mean they arent good just that I never heard of them or used anything they make. Ok, so I'm showing my age............... :D

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby dblj006 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:46 pm

Dynomax is the performance line of Walker Exhaust.

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:51 pm

Dynomax is a huge vendor and they have been aggressively perusing the drag racing industry especially the high horsepower street race car classes.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

big feather

Postby big feather » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:00 pm

Thunder, what's your take on the x-overs? Ahead or behind the mufflers?

feather

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby nebraskaairboater » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:22 pm

I got my new Summit Racing catalog and I think it's Dynomax that has a muffler with the X pipe inside of it? Anyone seen this? Maybe you could use one of them as the xpipe and also run a set of mufflers on it as well???
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 454 Chevy/ 2.38:1 OX Drive / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

big feather

Postby big feather » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:11 am

Dan, I've seen that. I wonder how much sound reduction it makes? It would be very cool to have the x-over and a muffler all in one packeage ..... it would save a lot of weight too. Swampjet and I have looked at that one, and might have to try one out.

feather

Return to “Airboat Talk”