Everglades proposed hotel!!

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Everglades proposed hotel!!

Post by Rich Andrews »

Now a developer wants to get even closer to the Everglades.They always maintained no development would ever go any closer then they currently are. With all the $$$$ going into restoration, how could they ever get a permit to build so close?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-0 ... expressway
Big Ole Deckover in the making...
JSTORMS
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Everglades proposed hotel!!

Post by JSTORMS »

Years ago Bergeron Land Development was working on this site for it's development, then the permit issues shut the project down.But the bad side to this projectis that it will definately have an impact on Markham Park Target Range if it get put on that site. The residents will complain about the gun shot noise then the airboaters out in the Bombing Range frogging will be next. It will also effect everyone that uses the canal behind this site for skiing and jetskiing.This will be the onset of an airboat curfew in the Everglades if we don't watch what goes on at this site.
Take your kid hunting instead of hunting for your kid.
Support the Youth Hunting Program of Florida
Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

I see the Sierra Club has been on TV opposing it, we should as well.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...
Muddyduck
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Muddyduck »

Why can't the state just take that land also like they did at Kissimmee, Picayune, and others. There is plenty of space right by the mall to build more if they want too. Hell, there are footers already poured for a hotel right across 136th from the arena. I believe it was going to be a Marriot.
Many could live on what we have wasted.
SWAMPCRACKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SWAMPCRACKER »

Great just what I would want to see while being out in the bombing range... a high rise hotel would look great...I don't think so :evil: ...Its already bad that you can look to the south at towards 595 and see Weston and if you look to the east you can see the Panther arena...Now we gotta be stuck at looking at a high rise hotel and three office towers ! I say the only way we can stop it is to petition it now before they even start and get everyone who is involved with conservation..I see an airboat curfew coming into effect if they get this build going Because god forbid some snowbirds hear us airboating at night and we disturb there beauty sleep ! I can't believe the city of sunrise would even consider this...Next I see them starting a whole new city out in the middle of the glades if they keep this up...I dont understand why someone would have to build so close to the glades when they can just put it near the mall like " Muddyduck" was saying...This is insane...I say we do whatever we can to stop it now before it begins... I hope the city commissioners realize what sensitive land means and turn down the contract and leave it alone to be conserved...How many more Marriot hotels do we need in Broward County !!!
~ WAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE EVERGLADES ~
~ WHERE THE BLACK WATER ROLLS AND THE SAWGRASS WAVES ~
aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by aherr520 »

it's all about the money. all of the polititions are corrupt! it's everywhere you go,but I'm sure they will have some dumb reason for picking that spot. where are the tree huggers when you need them.
aaof member
cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

Ya'll need to be careful askin for tree huggers caus ewe aint to high on their list as long as they on the developers we may be safer but I bet we are next on the list LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately
cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 »

this should be the only buildings they should be allowed to build

Last edited by cflacowboy001 on Fri May 14, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Muddyduck
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Muddyduck »

CommunityDevelopment@cityofsunrise.org
CityManager@cityofsunrise.org

This looks like a good place to start. No direct email for the mayor and the commissioners.
Muddyduck
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Muddyduck »

To Mayor and City Commissoners:

I understand the building project at the end of Sunries Blvd. is being considered again. Please help protect what little natural area we have left near Sunrise. There is plenty of space to build that would not impact the everglades like this project. I find it unbelieveable that a project like this is being given any consideration while billions are being spent to restore the everglades. The restoration, ironically, is because of projects like this. I support conservation and public use of the areas around this site. I am also aware of the difficult financial situation that plagues our city as well as our country but a line has to be drawn. We have done enough damage to and caused eye sores aound Browards everglades borders. Do the right thing and stop this project and classify that land so that it cannot be developed.

Thank you for you consideration in this matter

Russell Davis
Sunrise resident.

This is a copy of the email I sent. For some reason my email spell check did not catch a few mistakes. Neither did I guess. I really hate to send an email like this with mistakes, guess I should be more awake when I do this kind of thing.
SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt »

Muddyduck wrote:I really hate to send an email like this with mistakes, guess I should be more awake when I do this kind of thing.
Hey, it shows them that it's NOT a form letter. And that sort of allows it to carry more weight in their eyes. Good letter.

Return to “Airboat Talk”