FUEL USAGE

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
griggspsycolyco540
Southern Airboat Member

FUEL USAGE

Post by griggspsycolyco540 »

Note to self. Although av gas is pricey for my 540 angle valve I tried runnin 93 the other day and ran the same route on the lake as usual. I burned an entire half tank of pump gas fuel and today ran av gas in the exact same lake tour and only burned half of the half tank. Therefore it is well worth the extra for av gas to keep your angle valve smiling. Even noticed a difference in cranking and shut down even with the the lean to rich pull.Dont by the dirty a$$ ethenol pump gas for your angle valve.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: FUEL USAGE

Post by Southern Style »

griggs..... I have always had the mindset that if a tank of pump gas cost $60 and the same tank cost $75 of AvGas.... If I could not afford the $15 extra to keep the engine in good running condition... then I had no business running an aricraft.. I put to much money into my boat, maintenance, tags, registration, safety equiptment, fuel for the truck to tow it with, to skimp on $15 for fuel and have to rebuild it cause it dieseled and spun backwards and broke the dang thing.....

Happy boating and stay safe................... :wink:
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

griggspsycolyco540
Southern Airboat Member

Post by griggspsycolyco540 »

It is not so much the battle of the buck I was referencing . It is that I learned the av gas burned more efficient and took me further miles per gallon than the pump gas. Todays av gas price was $4.14 gallon and is well worth the money. Basically I burned half the fuel in av gas to make the same trip on pump gas. Explain that. And my motor was happier this was the first time I tried pump gas to save a trip to th airport. I will not use it again considering I paid $9500 from jurnigan and have only 118 hours on itNO SH$T ABOUT THE INVESTMANT I HAVE 30,000 IN MY BOAT AND DID NOT CUT A CORNER AND ANOTHER 36,000 IN MY TRUCK SO I FEEL YA.
Attachments
DSCN2828.JPG
DSCN2828.JPG (153.35 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

southern, that's a good point!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

100% agree. It goes well beyond just the gas though, every little thing on an airboat can turn into something catastrophic LOL! If you can't afford to get the good stuff then airboats just ain't for ya! Going cheap can cost you ten fold in the long run!
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

SWAMPCRACKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SWAMPCRACKER »

Hey "GRIGGS" sweet boat you got... how do you like those "SEMINOLE " hulls? How do they perform? And also who makes these hulls and where? I like the style of these hulls and I'm really thinking of building a boat with one...Thanks
~RON~
~ WAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE EVERGLADES ~
~ WHERE THE BLACK WATER ROLLS AND THE SAWGRASS WAVES ~

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Griggs, I agree, I always see better fuel economy with AvGas... I am thankful that Glover wants to be the lowest price for AvGas, cause he is right around the corner.. Still under 4 bucks...

Nice boat, bet it rides like a dream....
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 »

I AGREE WITH YOU GUYS. I HAD WALLY MOORE REBUILD MY 160 LYCOMING AND HAD IT DONE RIGHT LIKE HE DOES ALL OF HIS MOTORS. I SEE NO NEED TO SAVE 10-15 BUCKS WHEN I HAVE SO MUCH INVESTED IN MY MOTOR AND WANT IT TO LAST FOR MANY YEARS. GOOD LOOKING 540 BOAT GRIGGS.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

Return to “Airboat Talk”