big decisions!! 0470 or 350?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Whatdidisay
Southern Airboat Member

big decisions!! 0470 or 350?

Post by Whatdidisay »

I have an 0470R motor that needs alot of work as far as parts and putting it together. Now a buddie of mine wants the motor and he has an 220 gpu and needs some cylinders. I was speaking with a friend of mine and he said maybe go with a 350 dd. Now i need to know where would i get the most for my money? Now keep in mind this is my first boat and it needs ALOT of work. I have a 13' Apachee hull, I would like to run dry fully loaded more than speed. Thanks for ANY opinons!
Last edited by Whatdidisay on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroni
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: big decisions!!

Post by Jabroni »

THEN U DONT WANT A DD CAR MOTOR BOAT THEN
Just got down in DX land, DOOFUS standing by reading the MAIL

GearedGator480
Southern Airboat Member

Re: big decisions!!

Post by GearedGator480 »

Fix that 470 and run the $hit out of it !

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: big decisions!! 0470 or 350?

Post by MJD291 »

I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

harley
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by harley »

350 Gearbox with a good prop would run dry ground almost any where you want it to with a load on it.. 8)
14x8 Diamondback / SBC Power.

"ALL THROTTLE NO BOTTLE"

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

harley wrote:350 Gearbox with a good prop would run dry ground almost any where you want it to with a load on it.. 8)
YA,BUT HE SAID DIRECT DRIVE.

harley
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by harley »

Tony480 wrote:
harley wrote:350 Gearbox with a good prop would run dry ground almost any where you want it to with a load on it.. 8)
YA,BUT HE SAID DIRECT DRIVE.
350 dd not to good for running dry ground that much.. with gearbox yes , but not without one jmo... 8)
14x8 Diamondback / SBC Power.

"ALL THROTTLE NO BOTTLE"

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

Between the two as direct drive power - there is no comparison. O-470 all the way
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

Stars & Bars
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Stars & Bars »

listen to the guys NO DD CAR MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!
PEACE , through superior fire power!!!

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

o-470 all the way. Will run for another 50 years.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

470 hands down... Car motor only with a gearbox.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr »

This is not debatable...0470 all the way.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

Quote: " Thanks for ANY opinons!"

Where is Tony 480 when we need him Geez ....

ok first off that guy who suggested a 350 dd over a 220 ... he aint your friend or else he just wants to watch you suffer for some reason ...

Yeah you can make a 350 dd run good but not good enough for what your intending to do with it.

SO ..... save your money up and get a gearbox for that 350 with the right prop and you will be happy ...

and fully loaded don't tell us nuthin cause my buddy stans idea of fully loaded will kill most boats ...

so if you go with the aircraft or the gpu ... go light on stuff in the boat if you wanna run dry without overheating your engine and blowin it up.

when you say run dry whadda ya mean just pull outta the water and get back ??"? or you talkin about gettin to the edge of the water and then just smilin at that mile of dry ground before you hit water again and it looks more like a pig pissed there than real water ...

just a thought ...
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

SWAMPCRACKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SWAMPCRACKER »

I'm with everyone else on the 0470 choice ! now if you were'nt concerned about running dry and being loaded down then I would say a dd-350 would be fine but with what you want to do then I would definately choose the 0470 over the dd-350 any day of the week...I would run the 0470 for a while and save up to do the 0-520 conversion which will give it alot more power.
~ WAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE EVERGLADES ~
~ WHERE THE BLACK WATER ROLLS AND THE SAWGRASS WAVES ~

rotator75
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rotator75 »

Save up money and go with Sbc or BBC with gear and then you can run all the dry ground you want.You will be very happy.

Whatdidisay
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Whatdidisay »

WOW thanks guys! looks at though I should stay with the 0470! the only down fall I see is that I have never even worked on one and I need alot of small parts. and not a lot of cash flow. Now would it be about the same price to put together a 350 reduction as it would be for a 0470? Again im new and I have never been on a boat with a car motor before.

cntry: when I meal fully loaded I mean with 4 full grown guys 3 dogs and a cooler of beer with a full tank. Not fully loaded preformance wise. lol although that would not be a bad idea either.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

cntry: when I meal fully loaded I mean with 4 full grown guys 3 dogs and a cooler of beer with a full tank. Not fully loaded preformance wise. lol although that would not be a bad idea either.

You better seriously look towards the small block with a 2.68 stinger and a 80" whirlwind whisper tip 3 blade ... and do yourself a flavor LOL call the cam companies listed on here and get the right cam ...

or you can just do like the rest of us have done and just drive down the road with the window open throwin hundred dollar bills out the window LOL
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

swamp runner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamp runner »

depending on how much work your talking about needing done on the 0470,and you only have a hull,your still looking at 10k to hit the river,and a s/b and gearbox and giant prop is well more than that!so if you don't have the money you might want to reconsider this hobby,because there is nothing worse than a CRAPPY boat,it sucks horribly.
12' HAMANT ULTRALIGHT - 180 LYCOMING - 68" CYPRESS SERIES

Whatdidisay
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Whatdidisay »

HAHA! yeah I know that is why it's going to take me some time to get it done.... I just want to make sure that im starting off right rather then puting a bunch of money in to something and the boat sucks! but your are right it's serious money in some of the boats on here lol!

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

You will not be happy trying to push four men, three dogs, a cooler with beverages and usual gear -- with any aircraft powered airboat -- and most likely you won't be "happy" with any auto powered boat either. That spec is unusually heavy. Weight is THE airboat killer. "Running Dry Ground" means different things to every single airboater. The heaver the load, the faster you beat the bottoms out of ANY airboat on dry ground. Plenty of airboats will run dry ground for miles with two men and a dog and a cooler. Few auto powered boats run many miles of dry ground for years on end without regular overhauls. A gear reducted auto powered airboat UNDOUBTEDLY carrys a heavy load easier than an aircraft powered boat does -- they are better in the water, or in a mixture of water and dry ground. Most ground hogging airboats - those that run the dry ground for years - are light, strong and aircraft powered - and they highly limit the weight they carry. (See: Target on my back)
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

Whatdidisay
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Whatdidisay »

huh? never thought of it that way... gues that is something to look in to. But with a gear reduction drive i will be able to use a bigger prop and "push" more air correct? than if I used an aircraft? HMMM something to think about! Thanks for all of your opinions keep them coming. :bounce:

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

You are asking a lot of any engine. When you say you want to carry that much weight though, I think you need a stout small block , gear and big prop. You are gonna be running that 470 WOT all day long and wishing you had more. JMO. Im not bashing a/c boats... Ive been seriously contemplating building a 4 banger 2 seater on a 3/4 deck. You should look into a good swamp buggy... :D Want to sell that 470? :)
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

or you can just do like the rest of us have done and just drive down the road with the window open throwin hundred dollar bills out the window LOL

Buddy at the risk of being accused of being a smart arse ... you are talkin about building a bad azz airboat and it aint gonna happen on a budget .. well not a low budget anyways. You are gonna need a serious engine and 2.68 or more box a three or four blade wide prop, a very well built hull properly braced and jacked .. and a couple of prayers to the airboat gods. Props don't make thrust they transfer the rotational power of the engine to the air .. so if you aint got the power you aint got the thrust no matter what kinda prop you use. and yes it is that simple to say but very hard to quantify in real life ...

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

Just a reminder, he is talking about loading 5 people and a cooler of beer and most likely 40 gals of gas in a 13 ft boat. I think he needs a bigger boat to not be over loaded. Maybe the best idea i can offer is to sell the 13' hull and both motors. From what I've seen, you can occasionally get a good deal on a used 16-18 ft boat with car motor and reduction gear for well under 10 grand, which I think might be in his budget. From my own very limited experience, he should also scrap the idea of a sbc and go with a big block for that type of performance. A sbc that puts out big power is going to cost big bucks. This is only my newby opinion here, have at it guys. :mrgreen: Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Return to “Airboat Talk”