A/C - Automotive

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.

A/C or Automotive

A/C
55%
Automotive
45%

Total votes: 121

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:42 pm

Dang it ya'll I try so hard to stay out of this stuff. LOL ok here goes.

I have an airboat motor on my new boat. It wouldn't work for crap in an automotive application. It isn't a generator motor, and it isn't an airplane motor ... It was especially built for an airboat. a true a/c motor is meant to be run at a constant rpm and never was designed for the up and down throttle applications in an airboat. The generator motors were designed to be run at a constant rpm as well. An automotive engine was designed to be used in a car application where the loads get less once the car is moving and the rpms were meant to be decreased in proportion.

An airboat motor is designed to generate hp & tq across a wide band and is designed to never free wheel and the load is constant. There is no comparing it to a car motor except for its appearance if you can get past looking at that 82" super wide q series sensenitch prop turning 1650 rpms a wide open throttle. It has eight cylinders in a v configuration and it has a radiator and a carb. Just like a car motor but that is where the similarity ends it is and was designed for airboat use only. It is AN AIRBOAT ENGINE period.

So when that eight cylinder ground power motor boat was stuck and I almost had a heart attack pullin on it I told that fella screw this I am gonna get my boat and pull you back to the water he just laughed but he aint laughin now. When I had 5 adults, 30 gallons of fuel all my normal gear which is considerable if you aint ever checked my boat out and 150 lbs of frogs and climbed up hill turning 90 degree corners between trees and then loaded it on the trailer with all still on board and the uphill part was probably a 1/8 of a mile long and at least 40 to 50 feet rise. That stuff takes an airboat motor, when I had four on my boat and stopped in the black mud and picked up four more and a large dog and had coolers of ice and drinks and one of those pickups weighed over 325 lbs easy and drove through the woods around corners you had to stop and spin to make it around and placed them back where they came from that takes an airboat motor.

Now thats just my opinion but I don't have a car motor but it does resemble one on the outside. LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Sniper » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:43 am

Country141iq

I agree with you I just had a WaterThunder Airboat motor put in my boat it one of his LS6's and I have been amazed on how much more power it has over the ZZ4 that I had and it is 200 lbs lighter and is a lt better on fuel to and the best part like you said it was built for an Airboat by an expert Airboater WaterThunder and my oppinion is that these type motors are going to change all the rules about Airboat power plants

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:46 am

uncle bubba i am a caddy guy,and would not trade it for the world even though those ls1's sound good.and i tried keeping up with an e-220 with 520 jugs but i did not like running my boat that slow. :D
If life looks hairy in front of you! Shave it and put a condom on.

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:55 am

before any feathers get ruffled the last part of my post was just a joke.

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:55 am

or maybe not?

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:57 am

or ????? :lol: :roll: :wink: :cry: :oops:

BigMac
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BigMac » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:54 pm

Angle valve 300/540 13.5 Gielio three blade sensinch but I have had em all and like em all!!!!!

fatboy0054
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fatboy0054 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:33 pm

HEY GUYS ! THIS ALL BOILS DOWN TO ONE THING ! WE ALL GOT ONE !NEVER TO SAY WHATS BETTER OR NOT ! IT S JUST COST MONEY WONT CRANK ,FLAT TIRE ALWAYS LEAVING LATE . OUT OF GAS OUT OF MONEY AND SOME ONE AROUND THE CORNER WILL SMOKE YOUR BUTT ! :D NEXT POLL WHAT KIND OF AUTO MOTIVE OR AIRCRAFT MOTOR AND WHATS MAKES IT BOAT WORTHY ! :shock: :shock:
(Disclaimer )! Which means ! Dont try to sue me for your own stupidity !
http://www.mymudspace.com/fatboy0054
http://www.myspace.com/fatboy0054

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:55 pm

Fat, I think you've hit on something there ..... not just whut ya run, but WHY? :D

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:15 pm

I suspect a lot of folks, not everyone, but a lot of folks run what they have as an interim boat until they can afford what they want. Most likely they have what they have because they could afford THAT deal right then. In some cases that may mean running one or the other engine while saving for the opposite.

Not everyone can just open their check book and write a check for what they want right off the bat.

Just thinking out loud here. :)

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:24 pm

OK, but it might also have something to do with the boat they first learned to drive, a boat their Daddy had, or the first car they ever loved ... that '68 Camaro. I think Fatboy is on to something here.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:28 pm

Can't find any argument there. I still look at little VWs fondly when I blast by them in my big ole truck. I learned to drive in an imported one way back when, still like em. I'd say same for lots a boaters. Makes sense to me anyway.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:20 am

i think them last couple of posts are correct,also i would say the other influances would be geographacily located and what your airboating friends and and family tell you what is best when you are a green horn.

southern 520
Southern Airboat Member

Post by southern 520 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:14 am

its a e-225 not a e-220

Robby Bondurant
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Robby Bondurant » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:17 am

I voted for car motor because that's what I have. I have been building my boat for the past 3 months and am still not finished. I am building a direct drive 350 because that's what I can afford because i'm only 18. The engine is a 98 Vortec that was given to me. I haave totally redone it and converted it over to carb. I will be finished with it in a few weeks. I would love to have an aircraft motor, but this is all I can afford right now. I've enjoyed the project so much and can't wait till the first day I get to take her to the lake.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:24 am

Robby, what we can afford is where nearly every one of us is at.
We'll look forward to seein that boat !

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:29 am

Got that right Olf.

I don't remember ever meeting an airboater who eventually was'nt saying: " I wanna get this, or I wanna do that to my airboat"
Even ones who were riding really killer rigs.

It never ends.

Nor will people argueing about A/C vs Automotive. That's just another part of it, and I think it's funny!

As long as your out there airboating, that's what it's really all about.

Rock on with it Robby.

darkwader
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by darkwader » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:49 am

Robby don't give up keep working it will get there and you will be riding before to long :headbang:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Sniper » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:48 am

I think that is cool that such a young man is out there building his own Airboat I sure if he ever needs help with it there will be plenty of folks on this site to offer him some help.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:45 pm

Got that right Sniper.

Robby building his own rig is down right imressive.
No doubt about it!

Rock on with it Robby.

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:16 pm

sorry I can't count past 175 with out messing numbers up. And building your boat you will have a lot of pride in your ride when you are done good job! I wished I could have been anble to build my boat at that young an age.

Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Skeeter » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:19 pm

You go Robby,You gonna love the first time you take her out,its a great feeling when it all comes together and you did it all yourself(blood,sweat and tears).Its alot different than just going out and buying one or financing one.Hats off to you young man.Keep posting with progress and maybe pics.

c chardt
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by c chardt » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:30 pm

I still want to change things on my boat always some thing and it will never end

hey robby did you ever find a bigger hull yet if not I might be able to get the hull and trailer that the metal works you got from me came out of for cheap pm me and i'll check
www.dakotaairboats.com or 321-863-2312
If your looking for Different we build different all boats custom built any way you want.
CNC metal plasma cutting / parts / seats / trailers / hulls / Aluminum work anything you need, polymer

Gulfdiver
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Gulfdiver » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:55 pm

I have A 265CID GM on a 13 glass boat with a 2.88 Stinger and a 3 blade Terminator. It does not run over dry ground well, but there is pleanty of water on Istokpoga
Play well with others

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by dblj006 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:30 pm

12' Cottonmouth with 4cyl Lyc..
0-320 (1957, Waterthunder) New 160hp pistons $45 each, ring sets $36 each, cyl gskt sets $8 each, cyl overhaul w/ new exh valves $125 each
and carb overhaul $170. Just a top end overhaul. A little over $1,000.
Now if it needed a crank or replacement cyl then it jumps right on up there.
This is what I can afford. A $5,000 boat verses one for $15,000.

I'll stick with A/C.

Return to “Airboat Talk”