I DONT WANT TO START A WAR -------

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Skeeter
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Skeeter » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:32 pm

I'm with you Brewster.Ben is a good freind of mine and that is a bad ass 550 on his boat and it will go anywhere.

Glenn Hutchinson
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Glenn Hutchinson » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:49 pm

Sounds like a bunch of RED-NECKS to me, and I feel right at home :lol:
NRA MEMBER AND PROUD OF IT!

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:18 am

Darn Right there Mr. Glenn.

It's all good! 8)

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Sniper » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:59 am

Well I agree with what Red Dwarf said a liquid coold engine will hold up longer under a load and haul more weight and produce much more HP that's why you do not see many Air cooled cars in Bajah 1000 and all the dirt bikes and 4 wheelers are all liquid cooled now you don't see any air cooled Race cars either and now with the new LS 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 engines like WaterThunder is building Aircraft engines no longer have a weight advantage either so now you can run a boat like mine and have less weight than a 6 cyclinder Aircraft engine be water cooled and have 250 more horses it all about math and power to weight and being able to stay cool doing it and Liquid cooled engines do that better under a strain and produce more hp with less cubic inches than Aircooled ones and burn much less Gas doing it.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:42 am

It's all good!
I love it!

Not every liquid cooled airboat engine out there is all aluminum.
Not every all aluminum liquidcooled airboat engine is on a small light boat.

Country's ride has an Iron block, I don't don't think he's scared to run anywhere, anytime.

I bet your not scared to run where you want either.

Not every aircooled boat around is up to the tasks Brewster is describing either.

But still....
It's all good.

Some of y'all should go ahead and hit the dusty trails with Brewster and the boy's, and show him how it's done.

That would be the best way to answer his question I guess.

Me?
I ain't got noth'in to prove to anyone, 'cept for myself, so.....
I think it's all good.

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Sniper » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:03 am

Cowboy I agree with you it's all fun and The Iron block Boats do just great I had one with no complaints, I was just saying that the new All Aluminum motors have changed things on the playing field and it is going to make Airboats even better and more effective at what they do getting us where we want to go.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:46 am

Yeah Sniper,
It's all good, and it just keeps on getting better all the time.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:32 am

Thanks for the vote of no fear cowboy LOL I will run or try to run most anywhere most anytime. I try not to do stupid things there are places I just know better than to try to go. This last weekend some boys got stuck way back in the myrtle bushes and saw grass and my boat was messin up on the fuel delivery. I also had to come to the realization that I now drive a barge LOL 15' x 8' just wont fit in the same places as other boats I have run. I have not been able to figure out a laser for the front to burn the trees and stumps off so I can fit through there. It broke my heart to not be heading in to assist with the retrival of the ones who were stuck. I have always been able to do that before. I guess I will get used to it or I will have to build another shorter narrower boat with lots of HP again. I was pushing the size limits with "spinnin money" but usually could git r dun. The price of gas these days is going to curtail some of my airboating adventures, it isn't just the fuel for the boat it is the fuel for the truck and camper getting there that is becoming more noticable.

that is the one area where I belive the A/C guys who run boats like yours and don't have the monster A/C engines on them and try to stay out of the truly nasty stuff have a real advantage. Afterall there is usually nothin but broken boat parts waiting on you at the end of the nasty stuff most of the time. Now I know there are exceptions to the why run the nasty stuff theory but most of the time it really wasn't needed just simply did it because I could. For ordinary froggin and huntin a boat that burned 1 or 2 gallons an hour would be a blessing.

So no war started here on my account each boat has its good and bad points and each operator usually knows how to work around the bad and seize the good. Anything that slides is fine with me and if I want to run the deep water I use my flats boat, and if I want to run more than a mile or two of dry I am looking for my truck to get me there or my four wheeler. It is all in the planning and execution. Ya'll drive safe what ever you are drivin.
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:22 am

Cntry, I understand exactly what you're talkin about.
I was in a gas station not long ago and there was a guy in there fillin up a beautiful big off shore boat. On the transom are three 250 hp Yamahas.

When he got ready to settle up, his bill for the tow truck and boat together was over $480 bucks.
That's a lot of money where I grew up, and on the way home I was tryin to do the math ...... how much a pound is that for the fish, if he catches any :? .

olf
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:38 pm

Don't even get the gas prices thing started.
I'm mad enough about that already. :evil:

I start adding up the fuel alone for my truck, and it's making me want to avoid going out in the woods that I wanna run.

Were all getting PLOWED by the oil companies, and this has been going on for quite some time now.

Monthly ride way off someplace? I can't afford it. Not the way fuel has been.

I'm sick of it!

Hope a hurricane don't come, cause I ain't got the war chest for stockpliling the fuel I'll need.

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Sniper » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:17 pm

I'm with you on that Cowboy the only thing I have to buy gas for is my Airboat my truck and Car are both Diesel and I make my own Bio Diesel
for them out of old cooking oil been doing it for two years now cost me 50 cents a gallon to make and it runs great ole Wilie Nelson is in to it also.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:37 pm

Cool Man. Awesome!
My truck is a diesel. Well one of them is anyway.

I've been studying a little on the A/E thing.
Mostly slow speed cold start diesels "listeroids" for electrical generation, and the ability of those to burn WVO or other alternative fuels.

Mostly in the context of covering high electrical loads cost effectively, for extended periods of no available power. I wanna be able to cool my home while the electric is down for three weeks, but doing that on conventional consumer gensets of adequate capacity would be I'll advised for fuel costs, and avalabillty.

I can't contemplate feeding a 15kw genset for three weeks, loaded, running 24 / 7. $$$$$!

Fill my duramax up at the pump? Cha-ching!

Whats your production capabillity for the bio?
Any ill effects on your rolling stock burning it?

What process do you use to get the CCB's out of the WVO?
Do you cut it with fossil fuels, and eliminate the need to pre-heat it?

swamproot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamproot » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:58 pm

not an expert here however whenever i have to run dry i don't even feel any bumps on the ground and when starting off it feels to me the rear of the airboat lifts up off the ground not even dragging the ground its up in the air hense the name air boat. i run aircraft and small hulls . i use slick um used to use polymere don't see the need anymore.

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Sniper » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:19 pm

Cowboy the Bio Deisel is just like regular Diesel fuel you do not have to make any modifacations to the engine or preheat the fuel it lubracates 100 times better than Diesel and it has no carbon in it like diesel so you fuel filters hardley ever get dirty and your engine oil stays cleaner longer and the motor seems to run a little quiter and smoother and you can mix it with regular diesel and get increased fuel milage I make about 42 gal at a time and the proscesor that makes the fuel is automated so I don't have to use a lot of my time making it I have a Dodge with the cummins and it loves the stuff and it polutes 80 to 90 % less tha regular diesel when I was in Florida a few week ago WaterThunder was real interested in it also he has a dodge also

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:34 pm

Where'ed you get the processor?
Got a link?
Your running straight Waste Vegetable Oil?

I can hear the family following your truck down the highway now:
"Mommy, I smell french fries!"

Give me a line on it Sniper, and I'll check it out. I'm interested.
I just wanna get off of this, cause I'm afraid I've taken Brewsters thread way off on a detour.

D-BREWSTER
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by D-BREWSTER » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:11 pm

HELL BOY'S IF YOU HAVE IDEAS TO HELP US ON LOWERING THE GAS BILLS IN OUR TRUCKS POST AWAY....LOL..

BUT THANKS ON EVERYONES OPINIONS ON THE DRY RUNNING.... BUT THE MORE I THINK ON IT , IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO THE DOG HUNTIN.. MOST AIRBOATERS INCLUDING MYSELF ARE NOT GOING TO ABUSE THERE BOAT FOR NO REASON..BUT WHEN YOU ADD DOG HUNTIN TO THE E-QUATION THERES YOUR ANSWER, IM A HARDCORE DOG HUNTER AND THE GUY'S I HUNT WITH OUR TOO WHEN YOU HERE THEM DOGS OPEN UP OR THAT HOG SQUEELING COME HELL OR HIGH WATER YOUR GONNA GET TO THEM QUICK NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY YOU GOTTA RUN ,, RATHER IT BE AIRBOAT ,BUGGY ,TRACK OR 4-WHEELER DONT BE SCARED ..LET'ER EAT !!!!!
UNITED SPORTSMEN FOR TRADITIONAL HERITAGE
http://usfth.tripod.com/
CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/usfth?ref=stream
Lastflcracker@centurylink.net
member of the USFTH ,K.R.V.S.A.,
Outlaw Airboat and Buggy board http://www.usfth.com

Ron Miller
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Ron Miller » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:28 pm

Very interesting --- Back when the Airboating Magazine was called US AIRBOT They printed a book of Airboat manufactures and the had a picture of an Airboat in Alaska Made bu Alaska Airboats that had 3 wheels that retracted like airplane landing gear. one on the bow and two on the transom. I really think if I could hunt in your area I would add this to my boat --- Just think of how much drag it would remove and the gas mileage you would gain. not to mention the cost of replacing the polymer or the stress on all of your metal work.
JUST A THOUGHT ----
Ron Miller
Pres. of MACA

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:29 am

Ron, that's a damn fine thought too. Floats for seaplanes can be had with wheels built into them ..... why not an airboat? They could be made retractable easily enough from inside the boat with levers and latches. 8)

Olf
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Return to “Airboat Talk”