River Dangers

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

River Dangers

Post by pontoon outlaw »

With the Water so low right now, please be on the look out for those Kicker Boats :banghead: I was riding at the mouth of the River, at Lake Poinsett, and these guys were anchored right in the middle of the River, and with a Boat coming from the South at the same time we had to hug the Bank and they yelled at us for coming close to their Poles that were casted close the shore, :violent1: I really can't understand it?????? Okay, just getting it off my chest,,,,,

Terminknotor
Southern Airboat Member

Re: River Dangers

Post by Terminknotor »

I agree, its not uncommon to find boats sitting pretty far out off the banks. Its scary not just because an airboat could hit them but Ive been seeing some of those go fast bass boats screaming around the river too...one of those hits one of those little kickers and its all she wrote.

Common senses would dictate you dont sit in the middle of a blind corner...but then, thats the problem isnt it.

The other confounding thing is that with an airboat, they have to hear us coming for at least 2 or 3 minutes yet they stay right there.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Great post. When there's less water we all have to start payin' more attention. What used to be the channel in a lot of places is now the only water left. Never go into a blind bend in a creek or river so fast that you can't work it out if there's another boat sitting there.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac »

Just drive like you know there is going to be a boat around
every corner, and when there is you'll be ready for it.
and you shoud'nt have to account for other folks stupidity,
But you do. :old_glory:
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

BradWeihrauch
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BradWeihrauch »

Anchoring in the middle of a channel or canal, is "Obstruction of a Navigable Waterway", turn them in.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Brad, that sounds great, but how are you gonna turn them in if you just freakin' killed one of them!

If you hit another truck from behind it doesn't matter that it didn't have brake lights. All that matters is that you hit him.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

Good conversation here. If they are in the middle, yes, they are in trouble call em in! If you hit them... it's your fault, because you weren't operating your vessel in a manner deemed "safe for the conditions" or something to that effect lol. The USCG Nav rules are a real ba$tard!
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

Like yobee says .. if you go around a blind corner and hit something or someone ... you are at fault .. especially if you didn't blow your whistle or horn .. now you know why we are supposed to have one LOL. If you hurt one of them or damage their stuff you better have good insurance .. especially if they were sitting still and you were under power. USCG rules of navigation are very tough .. and have been tested in courts many times .. some win but most don't.

Drive safe ..
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

Who the h3ll is going to hear a whistle before you go around a blind corner?? Is that the damnn technicality they caught Yobee on?? You got to be kidding! :banghead:

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

aint kiddin ... better study up on the rules and laws if ya gonna drive a vessel LOL remember no discrimination .. no favoritism gotta play by the rules LOL and no I don't always like em and yes it is a technicality but it counts if they wanna play the card .. you have to more or less idle around blind corners otherwise you are going to fast if you hit something
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Floridatourboat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Floridatourboat »

I believe conoes, kyaks and all anchored fishing boats should have a flag like we do to help avoid collisions. It would also be great if people would learn which side of the channel they are suppose to operate on when you meet them on the river. Capt B

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

Cntry ain't lying and I ain't lying. Just like he said, it counts if they want to play the card. You must signal your sound producing device before entering or exiting any blind corner- or something to that effect. If anyone is interested.... http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent

You better hope you are never in an accident, because if you are in violation of any one of those, you are at fault.

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

Nav rule 9
(f) A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a narrow channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall navigate with particular alertness and caution and shall sound the appropriate signal prescribed in Rule 34(e).

Every airboater should take a close look at rule #6 the safe speed rule...

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

yobee wrote:Cntry ain't lying and I ain't lying. Just like he said, it counts if they want to play the card. You must signal your sound producing device before entering or exiting any blind corner- or something to that effect. If anyone is interested.... http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent

You better hope you are never in an accident, because if you are in violation of any one of those, you are at fault.
Who the H3ll said you or cntry was lying??

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

hmgm123 wrote:
yobee wrote:Cntry ain't lying and I ain't lying. Just like he said, it counts if they want to play the card. You must signal your sound producing device before entering or exiting any blind corner- or something to that effect. If anyone is interested.... http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent

Who the H3ll said you or cntry was lying??
I was just saying, not meaning that someone was insinuating we were lying, but meaning that sadly its the truth that they will gladly nail you for something that is a technicality, right or wrong. My apologies if you interpreted my wording differently than I meant it.

hmgm123
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hmgm123 »

Got ya, Yobee, That is a bullsh1t way to call that accident. If you were to stop and blow a whistle at every blind corner it would take you all day to go one way to some where or you would must likely get run over by another boater coming around the corner. Was this area where the accident happen even consider navigable water way?? Sorry you got shafted like that Yobee.

Return to “Airboat Talk”