Painting

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Painting

Post by highlife57 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Hey guy's Want to know who & how much would it cost to paint a 14ft alum. Hull? Thanks in advance

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Painting

Post by JAMES » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 pm

1 color 10 colors strips solid it all depends
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:48 pm

You want high gloss professional job, with expensive epoxy paint, or do you want cheap. I can get you a good paint job for under $100 materials but it a work boat/hunting boat finish, and not a high gloss show boat. Let me know and I'll put a run down on here. I'm happy with mine, but you might not be. Bud
Attachments
front angle.jpg
front angle.jpg (17.74 KiB) Viewed 929 times
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by grant » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:50 pm

You can't even buy the primer for $100
"Don't Taze me Bro"

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:51 pm

SURE YA CAN!HE JUST TOLD YA HE COULD,YA GOT TO BELIEVE EM. :lol:

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 pm

grant wrote:You can't even buy the primer for $100
If the boat has been painted, it does not need primer. For bare metal, use viniger to spray the boat, it will give the aluminum hull a slight eitch. I've got a little cheap palm vibrator sander and went over the hull inside and out to give it some "profile" for the new paint to stick to.

You can us a metal all purpose primer if you want to further prime it, Cost about 20-30/gal. For "finish coat" I went though the "mis-match" paint at my local Lowes and picked out a gal of flat in a brownish color, and 3-4 of additional flat colors in qt containers, very cheap, exterior latex. Then I had fun painting it. Spray gun and compressor is all that is needed, and some sand paper.

Like I said, and like I show in pic, this is a hunting boat, not a show boat. It gets pretty scrapped up when I am using it. The following year I took one of the camo colors and did some touch up on the scrapes, etc. There was no indication any place of peeling or flaking of the paint, it adhears good to the surface. If you perfer, you can buy a gal of high gloss equipment enamal and use it, should last a bit longer (harder shiny finish)and will be shiny and nice looking, but not like the high dollar epoxy. MARINE PAINT IS NOT NECESSARY, UNLESS THE BOAT IS BEING KEPT IN THE WATER FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME. I am a x shipyard painter with about 10 yrs experience. Bud

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by grant » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:08 pm

I stand corrected.....sounds like a lot of work.
"Don't Taze me Bro"

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:39 pm

grant wrote:You can't even buy the primer for $100
SPRAY CANS OR RUSTOLEM QUART OR TWO WITH A LIL THINNER UNDER 30.00 :wink:
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:59 pm

grant wrote:I stand corrected.....sounds like a lot of work.
Thats a real easy paint job, can do it all in just a few hours, the sanding only takes a hour or so. It's primarly for older boats, newer ride boats I'm sure most want to treat it more like their car with nice looking paint, and shine, but this is great for a work/duck boat. Sprinkle a little sand on the deck on the wet paint and give it another shot of spray for a non skid surface. Bud

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:05 pm

SPRAY CANS OR RUSTOLEM QUART OR TWO WITH A LIL THINNER UNDER 30.00

I dont know where your buying the spray cans at, cause it sure would take a whole lot more 30.00 worth.....

highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Post by highlife57 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:30 am

The boat has shinny yellow paint on it . How hard & how much would it be to mask it off & to paint it yellow again Thanks in advance

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Prep is the hard part of any paint job. You can make it as hard or as difficult as you want. Going over the entire hull and interior with a palm sander, just enough to rough up the surface a bit so the paint will stick would take 2-3 hours depending on you and how much time you want to spend on it. Some people will remove everything, rigging, motor stand, rudders, the works and go from there, others will just mask the base of the rigging where it attaches to hull and go from there. It's up to you. I will assume you are spraying the boat. If not experienced practice a bit on a large piece of cardboard or plywood and keep a rag in your other hand to wipe away runs. Is the cage and rigging yellow also or black or some other contrasting color. After painting the hull, you can put down paper or tarp under the rigging and paint it by hand with a brush. Yellow is a fine color for a boat, it should show up good when underwater is another advantage :wink: . You can go to a fancy auto paint shop and by Imron, which is a expensive 2 part epoxy, or you can go to your local hardward and buy equipment enamal, just depends on your pocket book and desired results. Important to remember that any blems in the orgional surface will show though on the finish surface big time. I just paint over small scrapes and blemishes, and it shows after. Others go over with a light filler and sanding and make the surface like new before painting, all depends on what you want when finished. Have fun. Bud

highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Post by highlife57 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:27 pm

I'm looking for someone to do the job. Would like to know who & how much. I would like the hull outside painted only & have the rudders painted seperately. Thanks,

BradWeihrauch
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BradWeihrauch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:14 am

Why don't you let the person"who" is going to paint it, tell you"how much" it is going to be.......This is like asking someone how much someone else should charge you to reroof your house, and that person is not the roofer. It is not someone else's place to say what the person who is actually going to do the work will charge, go ask the person that you decide does the quality of job that would like done. Looks like a decent boat, go get a nice job done. In the time you have bounced this thread around, you could have taken the boat to a few qualified people, gotten estimates, and made a sound decision based on what quality of job you want.

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Call or PM "Painterchic".
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Post by highlife57 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 pm

i was just wanting to get a little bit of info from somebody who paints,i would like a car finish on it thanks in advance.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Like has been suggested, Painterchick would be good if she is close enough to you. Otherwise look in book for body shops and check some airports for somebody who specializes in planes and drag it by they for a estimate. Bud

Return to “Airboat Talk”