Scott says no to high speed rail from Orlando to tampa

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Scott says no to high speed rail from Orlando to tampa

Post by Rich Andrews »

Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Scott says no to high speed rail from Orlando to tampa

Post by Waterthunder »

AWESOME. how many times have we voted on this and said no they just kept re wording and repackaging and re selling it to the tax payers. The politicians want it and they want us to pay for it. All it will be is a massive over budget public rip off! We don't need it and we can't afford it and by we I mean people who work and pay taxes!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Somebody is pushing this rip off really hard and very relentless. I suspect Disney and Orlando is behind it.

The "Sons of Beaches" (an organization like Sons of the Confederacy) couldn't keep their hands off of the Bee Line and renamed it without asking anyone. Now were stuck with a Beach Line instead of Bee Line.

I think that whole area over there has gone nuts. A High Speed Rail will be used by daily workers to come from Orlando to take jobs in Tampa. Granted many Live in Orlando and work at the Tampa Airport now but the rail will just make it easier for them. Same for folks in Brevard working at Disney etc.... The Orlando to East Coast rail was shot down many times. It better be dead.

Instead of a High Speed Rail why not open a livery stable and let them rent-a-horse,mule,or burro.

I hate this junk.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Crazy Frog
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Crazy Frog »

Yeah!..isn't that great and Obama say's it will stimulate our economy...how's that when the company is Russian based?? I'm liking Scott more and more each day! I hope the open carry bill goes thru, i'm sure a lot of ya'll have already signed the petition on this issue...if not here is the link :!: :florida:

http://www.opencarry.org/index.html

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

FOR ALL THE $$ WE SPENT (TAX DOLLER) LIKE NIKE SAYS "JUST DO IT " WE WILL NEVER RECOVER THE $$ LOST JMO
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Sen. Bill Nelson must see his retirement plan evaporating before his eyes. He's all over the place trying to keep this alive. I'll see him come the next election.

This thing would be an anvil around the necks of Florida taxpayers from day one. If this proposal truly has merit then build it with private corporate money .... not the taxpayers. It's one of those projects that less than 10% of the people would ever use, but 100% of us would have to pay for. :?
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

Meanwhile........
Silver priced in Dollars hits a 31 year high...

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/housto ... ve-problem

We need to tell the feds to stuff their federal funds, and create our own State Bank, and have it issue State Non-interest bearing currency for the people of Florida to prosper with.

The Federal Government, and it's cheap unconstitutional currency is a cancer.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

DITTO ! ! !
:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

"How long before the American taxpayer has to repeat the AIG experience, and bail out JP Morgan over its billions in silver shorts?"

I ain't in no mood for any more bailouts! FTMF!!
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt »

This rail thing has gotta stop! It's a boondoggle of a project if there ever was one!

1) If it was in ANY way profitable, then we would have seen private business try to undertake this kind of project. You don't see many private INVESTORS rushing in to jump on that train!!! That says A LOT right there.

2) A high speed train is the pinnacle of public transportation technology! You build up to a pinnacle. You don't build the pinnacle first!!! Without the smaller systems in place to feed this train, no one will be on it.

Think about this: A train runs from Orlando International Airport to Tampa International Airport, with several stops along the way. Do you think I'm going to get in my car, and drive to the airport, (with a family of 4) and pay $20 fare PER PERSON plus parking fees, to ride this train to Tampa? And when I get to tampa, I'll need to rent another car or hire a cab because they have no real public transportation either! I could just drive my car to tampa and save money and have the convenience of my own vehicle! It would cost a family of 4 $100 (or more) to take the train, and about $25 in gas to just drive themselves. NO ONE WILL RIDE THIS TRAIN.

3) The train may be high speed, but TSA will make you wait in line for an hour to get that 40 minute ride.

That money would be better spent on improving the systems we already have. I've been to some larger cities. Chicago, Atlanta, New York, and recently spent 2 solid weeks in Washington DC. We rented a car and drove there so we'd have a way to get around town. That car stayed parked behind the Bed-n-Breakfast we stayed at for the ENTIRE 2 weeks! Why? because the dang busses ran by every 10 minutes! And the subway was fast with plenty of stops. And taxi's were relatively cheap too. Between these three means of transportation we could get to ANY part of the city faster and easier than driving and parking.

If that kind of rail system is to work, then they need to build the feeder networks that will bring the riders to it's terminal. They need to build a system that will reach into the neighborhoods. People will walk a couple blocks to a bus stop. From there take it to the cross town trains (subway or elevated) and from there to the high speed rail terminal. THAT'S HOW IT WORKS!

Building the high speed rail would be like dropping a shark into a large Sea World style tank filled with sea water and 5 tons of plankton and NOTHING ELSE. And expecting it to eat. It needs a food chain just like the high speed train does.

I salute the governor's decision. Now the state legislature is trying to go around him. And even started a bill/law that will force a public recall election. something isn't right. And it's the legislature in this case.

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 »

When are the Democrats going to wake up and hear the people!!! :angry5: Was the last election not clear enough for them??????
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

Do you remember when the politicians of both parties were making dire predictions of Great Depressions, economic collapse and 10% unemployment if we didn’t pass their ”save an investment banker” rescue package and the $800 billion “jobs creation” stimulus package?.............

You are now hearing the spin from the ideologues on both sides of the aisle about their cost consciousness and desire to restrain spending. It’s all a load of bull. Bush and the Republicans added $4.3 trillion to the National Debt during their reign of error. Obama has matched Bush in the space of 2 1/2 years by adding another $4.3 trillion. There is no effort to cut spending. Obama’s budget shows spending rising from $3.7 trillion in FY12 to $5.7 trillion in FY21. The propaganda and misinformation being spewed from these corrupt politicians is mind numbing.
Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal.... they are all the same, and they are all owned and operated by centralized control forces that never held the consent of the people governed.
The Rep / Dem thing is just a very efficient way of keeping we the people fighting with each other, instead of focusing on the real evil amongst us.

Pump it up!
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest-post-pump-it

jinotown
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by jinotown »

HMMMMM...
Drive Orlando to Tampa, 1 1/2 hours, $13.00 for gas

Train
Drive to train depot 20 min, park and board 30 min, stop, stop, stop ,stop, arrive at Tampa 1:45 $??, taxi to destination 15 min+ $20+

I'm no math expert, but....
13 1/2 Cottonmouth 520 Continental

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by gobblerD »

Amtrack a subsidized rail runs from Orlando past my warehouse in Tampa a couple times a day. I watch it go by just about empty everytime.

Why do we need two rails going from Orlando to Tampa everyday? One fast one and one really fast one.

Both empty. Its very hard to watch people that support this. Its so obvious they are getting something for their support.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt »

Our own senator (McCollum) is trying to "guilt" us into taking the money now. He was just on the TV making a plea for us to take the money, or...... The federal money ($2.2 BILLION) will go to another state.

GOOD! Let some other chumps take it!

Why does this situation feel so similar to a drug pusher??!!! JUST SAY NO!!!

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac »

Some one on the news was saying it would cost 40,000,000.00
a year to operate, beyond what little it takes in.
And that is just to operate, not to pay for.
I think thats why we elected Scott in the first place,
to stop wastful spending. Bill Nelson is an idiot, and has always been
an idiot. Bill McColum is just a few steps behind him in the idiot poll.
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

radialman66
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radialman66 »

Best news I've heard in a long time! Finally some sanity! :cheers:
"let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees" General Stonewall Jacksons last words.

KRVSA member.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt »

yeah, K-mac - you are right - it was Nelson. I get those two dorks confused a lot because they are both idiots.

There are some who want to boot him out of the governor's mansion. In a way, I'm with them.... but only if he's booted into the whitehouse!!! What if he did on a national level what he's doing in Fla???

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

"The bottom line is that he can't reject this money: It was already approved by another Legislature and another governor," said Simmons, R-Altamonte Springs. "It's like trying to veto a bill after it becomes law. It's too late."

The number of senators who signed the letter, 26, is significant because it is a veto-proof majority. The lawmakers have the power to override any attempt Scott might make to block the appropriation of rail money.

Other senators said they also didn't like the fact that Scott decided to reverse a decision of the Legislature without giving lawmakers a heads up.

Said Sen. Greg Evers, R-Baker, "This is a sign: Talk to us first."

Read more: http://www.bradenton.com/2011/02/18/296 ... z1ELvPWfmL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by midnight rider »

Well, I for one wish it would happen. There are alot of people out of work that need jobs. I would rather see Floridians get the work than those out in Cali and workers on a temp visa from Mexico. Besides, A private contractor that has to pick up any expense over what the federal govt supplies for the project sure does help. But I guess the Crook from Naples has a better way of creating jobs. Cant wait to see what he has up his sleeve. Since he already wants to take my job away and give it to someone else, and make me pay for my own retirement.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

the federal money is going to be spent .. no matter what ... the question is will it come here and get us 20,000 people back to work ??? we as the state of florida are not getting a loan and we as taxpayers in the united states are going to pay for it even if it ends up in california ...
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

cowboy wrote:The Rep / Dem thing is just a very efficient way of keeping we the people fighting with each other, instead of focusing on the real evil amongst us.

Pump it up!
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest-post-pump-it

Well said, like all the whining about I have to pay for 5% of my retirement or the feds that do not have to pay into social security and have their own sweet deal.

If I have to pay into Social Security and pay 7.5 % of my employee's everyone should have to or all should have a choice.
nobody pays a dime of mine.

The average gov worker is out of touch with the cuts the civilian world have had to take just to keep a job or a business going.

Tough times, about time our bloated governments state & feds get it quite spending money we do not HAVE. agghhhhhhhhh off to Freedom Ride
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Frog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Frog »

You’re not getting it, once you take the feds money Florida is on the hook for the overruns which could amount to 10 times the feds numbers. “Stop spending money”.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

I got an email from Bill Nelson this morning. Included a video too. Whoopee!
He says 90% is fed money and "WE" have to come up with the other 10% plus any over runs. Not only that, but he does NOT say WHO pays to operate it. You can be certain it will operate at a loss. You can also be certain WE will have to pay for its operation. More wasted tax money. So even if every word Nelson says is true its still a boondoggle we can NOT afford!
We lose at every turn of this thing !

MikeP
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by MikeP »

midnight rider wrote:and make me pay for my own retirement.
It is "YOUR" retirement, isn't it?

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

The Federal government has no money. Everything they have to work with is what we send them every April 15th. If they "give us" a few billion dollars to put a scheme like this in place, it will be with money taken from taxpayers somewhere else.

Gov. Scott is to be congratulated for his conviction here. He's doing exactly what needs to be done ..... just say 'No'.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Return to “Airboat Talk”