Scott says no to high speed rail from Orlando to tampa

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Scott says no to high speed rail from Orlando to tampa

Post by SwampMatt » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:44 pm

This money is like buying a set of tires and GIVING them to someone who doesn't own a car. And then saying, "Well, just buy a car and you'll enjoy my generous gift".

Meaning: sure it may be nice to get 2 billion. but it's going to cost $ to run that train, maintain it, etc, and that's a payment that won't go away.

Actually, to be more accurate, it's like someone giving you a gift of cable tv. They pay for the installation.... and you are stuck with the monthly bill. Not much of a gift.

No thanks.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:35 pm

cowboy wrote: We need to tell the feds to stuff their federal funds, and create our own State Bank, and have it issue State Non-interest bearing currency for the people of Florida to prosper with.

The Federal Government, and it's cheap unconstitutional currency is a cancer.
I couldn't agree more. It's time for those States with the courage to do so, to wean themselves from the Federal tit and start taking care of their own. Let the voters in California, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Nevada sleep in the beds they've made for themselves. They'd begin to get the 'big picture' soon enough if that were to happen. :wink:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:36 am

Olf Art wrote:
cowboy wrote: We need to tell the feds to stuff their federal funds, and create our own State Bank, and have it issue State Non-interest bearing currency for the people of Florida to prosper with.

The Federal Government, and it's cheap unconstitutional currency is a cancer.
I couldn't agree more. It's time for those States with the courage to do so, to wean themselves from the Federal tit and start taking care of their own. Let the voters in California, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Nevada sleep in the beds they've made for themselves. They'd begin to get the 'big picture' soon enough if that were to happen. :wink:
Couldn't agree more. Time for the states to give up their crack habits and tell the dealer to go eff himself.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:43 pm

....... and also tell the 'Dealer' that if you people enact any legislation that we in Florida find oppresive, counter-productive to small business, or detrimental to the economy and life style of the citizens of our unique State, then it isn't going to be adopted here. Get over it.

It CAN be done! :wink:

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Conch Republic will rise again?
I'm all for it.

I think we've needed border guards at Georgia and Alabama for a few years now! LOL
They can launch the USA rockets from Vandenburg AFB.
Florida can take Cape Canaveral and go commercial with it.

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by R L Williams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:09 pm

As you may know last Wednesday, I informed U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood of the state’s decision to reject President Obama’s costly Tampa to Orlando high-speed rail project. Here are the facts about the project, and I ask you take action today to support this decision by sharing the facts on Facebook.

My decision to reject the project comes down to three main economic realities:

1. Capital cost overruns from the project could put Florida taxpayers on the hook for an additional $3 billion.

2. Ridership and revenue projections are historically overly-optimistic and would likely result in ongoing subsidies that state taxpayers would have to incur, which could cost from $300 million – $575 million over 10 years.

3. If the project becomes too costly for taxpayers and is shut down, the state would have to return the $2.4 billion in federal funds to D.C.

The truth is that this project would be far too costly to taxpayers and I believe the risk far outweighs the benefits. It is my duty to make sound investments in areas where we will experience a positive return for the shareholders – Florida’s taxpayers.

Let's get to work,

Governor Rick Scott

P.s. Consider sharing these important facts on Facebook in support of my decision to protect Florida's taxpayers.

Sponsored by the Republican Party of Florida. Not paid for at taxpayer expense.

This message was sent to waskell@windstream.net from:

Republican Party of Florida | 420 E. Jefferson Street | Tallahassee, Florida 32301

Manage Your Subscription | Forward To a Friend
"GRASS SCOOTER"
Member of the over the hill gang.
United Sportsmen Airboaters Alliance.
NRA life member.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Yeah I here he is loking for money to build a high speed hospital LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:18 pm

RL, that letter sounds good to me.
As much as cntry and others (on other sites) like to rib and criticize Gov. Scott, I think he's done a pretty wise choice on this.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 pm

thats because you are happily unemployed mood ... I gotta work ... people depend on me. I need a robust economy with people buying things or else I need a new career and that isn't a good option .. yet.
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm very happy with him so far ...... he's running our State based on sound business principles instead of just reacting to political whim. :thumbleft:

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by SwampMatt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm not unemployed anymore.
See what you miss when you don't come over often!
Get over here and enjoy our campfire one of these cool nights!

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:20 am

LOL say it aint so ... I saw a church roof shudder the other day and now I know why ... congratulations ..I think ... yeah one of these days I will get out of this mess and get around again.

FP1201
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by FP1201 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 pm

I've only a few things to say, but I think they're worth saying:
How many folks would be displaced and or have their property decimated by this rail system? look at all the land lost with the addition of "belt ways" Lots of swamp, farm, grove, pasture, woods, all gone.

I work for Uncle Sam repairing his tactical vehicles as a wage grade 10 Mechanic. We make damn sure the vehicles are fit for duty because lives depend on them. Before taxes (NY has a State income tax) health insurance, retirement, and the dozen or so other taxes/fees/obligations and feeding a family of 4, I make just under $46,000 a year. and I'm as far up the ladder I can go without going into a managerial position, even the next step up is only $1.00 an hour more. Here's an interesting tid bit: In 2008, the federal government set the poverty level at $22,025 a year for a family of four.
I'd love to know where these $85K jobs are at? For over a year I've been watching AL & TN for jobs in the same pay range and they require Bachelors degrees or years of specialized experience. Granted it's a better job than most anything else in our area, but it's not as much a sham as Niel Bortz would have us believe. (I like Bortz as well or better than O'Riley, Hannity, & Limbaugh, and listen almost daily)
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but not all the folks working for .gov are self serving bastards.
Mother Nature plays to win, and if she doesn't get you, her bitch of a daughter Krama will.

Return to “Airboat Talk”